Drag 'n Drop Email MacOS and Thunderbird

Gump

I have found the EnForward addon for Thunderbird, but I've had problems with this as there doesn't seem to be a way to specify where you want the message filed.  And, once it's in EN, you can't seem to move it around, as in within a message etc.

To make this more effective, and more useful to me, I would like a way to select an email message, drag n' drop it to the Evernote application (web interface maybe?) and have EN either optionally attach it to the note or display it inline.   That same process and functionality would be useful for any document, actually.

This would be much more useful for me.

I'm going to guess this object-oriented approach isn't yet available yet, for messages as the underlying application would need to support it.  

Anyone have other thought on this?

• Level 5

Welcome to the forums, @Gump! First of all, thanks for the pointer to the add-on--I don't really use them much, but this one looks very helpful.

WRT specifying where to file a message, it does seem a bit clunky: you have to go into EnForward's options every time in order to send a note to a notebook other than the most recently used one. (In Thunderbird: Tools > Add-ons to open the tab, then click Extensions and select EnForward's Options button.) There's no way to do this on the fly when right-clicking a message. But there are quite a few other things that can be specified in its options, which is one thing that makes it look useful.

I did find that I could do a number of things with merging e-mailed notes and dragging and dropping content from within Thunderbird into a note; but that was using the Evernote Windows desktop program. I don't know whether any of it could be done on a Mac.

The way this is handled is rather klunky at the moment.  I would think it would be in Evernote's best interests to improve upon this capability.    In my situation, I use emails in my notes to document things.  Yes, I can copy-and-paste and indent/italic, etc., but that's a manual process and something I could do in a basic word processor, locally.    I have seen other note-file-storage apps that use objects to store data like this.  In Windows, that would be through the API (grabbing objects, storing them).   On the Mac, which I use, I'm not entirely sure about that, as it's not within my experience, but I bet it's entirely possible.   And that would depend, I would think, largely upon whether one was doing this via the local APP or to the web-based interface (which the underlying browser would need an addon to support).   

So for now, I'll stick to my copy-and-paste-and-format manual operation, but hopefully something better will come along.

Thanks!

• Level 5

I did just find one more thing in EnForward (which I haven't tested myself). In the Tips section of its options, it says, "By forwarding notes with shift key, they will be merged into the most recent note with the same title in Evernote." This would mean you'd have to set the note title in the options to be exactly what you want before forwarding. But it might be worth a try.

Great, I hope Evernote takes "note" (pun intended) of this and considers investing in this type of ancillary functionality - there's definitely use for it.

Archived