iOS app causing reindexing on legacy Mac app

I'm running EN 5.5.2 on two legacy Mac systems (OS 10.6.8, OS 10.8.5). I have no problem syncing between these systems, and did not have any issues with the iOS app—until the release of the new interface (v8). Now, every few days, after opening and syncing iOS (no changes to notes), the Mac apps have to reindex notes and type ahead indexing. This is a very time-consuming process. I've tried deleting and reindexing the Mac apps. No joy. 

I'm not looking for development of the Mac apps—but hoping that an update to iOS app could be tweaked to not wreak havoc with the legacy Mac desktop app indexing.

Any thoughts?

Screen shot 2017-07-10 at 2.19.39 PM.png

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, bluesgeek said:

Now, every few days, after opening and syncing iOS (no changes to notes), the Mac apps have to reindex notes and type ahead indexing. This is a very time-consuming process. I've tried deleting and reindexing the Mac apps. No joy. 

The syncing process is actually     IOS <> Server <> Mac
Not sure how IOS could be triggering re-indexing on your Macs

I''d advise contacting Evernote support on this issue
All Accounts     Twitter @evernotehelps  
Paid Accounts   Contact Evernote Support

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The syncing process is actually     IOS <> Server <> Mac
Not sure how IOS could be triggering re-indexing on your Macs

I''d advise contacting Evernote support on this issue
All Accounts     Twitter @evernotehelps  
Paid Accounts   Contact Evernote Support

Thanks for that observation. I should have mentioned that deleting and reinstalling the iOS app somehow solves the reindexing loop on the Mac. This is repeatable. So, perhaps something is being written to the server from iOS that trips up the legacy Mac desktop app.

Support has nothing to offer because EN apps older than running on 10.9.5 are not supported, and 5.5.2 is the newest EN app that can run on 10.8.5.

Okay, more testing using Mac OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8.5 and EN 5.5.2.

It appears to be related to moving notes between notebooks:

* move note using Mac app, sync, both desktops are fine

* open iOS app, sync, then upon syncing mac app, both desktops go into reindex loop

(Reindexing occurs for every sync following upon which there are any changes, even not involving note moves.)

* delete iOs app, reindexing of Mac apps stops

* reinstall iOS app, sync, all is fine

* sync iOS app, sync Mac apps, both desktops go into reindex loop

Conclusion. If I move notes, I have to first delete the iOS app, then reinstall after sync Mac apps.

Request for Devs. Please consider this issue when updating iOS. Thank you.

So, I deleted EN iOS 8.2.2 and reverted to 7.1.6 (using this method). I was hoping to pull a later version of v7 from the App Store, but 7.1.6 was the only version of v7 I could find.

So far, everything is stable. (And I like the v7 interface better.)

I'll report back if I run into more issues, but for now…

QUESTION FOR DEVS: What changed with v8 that might wreak havoc with legacy Mac desktop version 5.5.2? Can it be addressed in an update for those of us who need to run legacy Mac OS?

Thank you.

[ASIDE: I could mention that this is a good method for reverting to previous versions of EN iOS.] 

• 4 months later...
On 7/13/2017 at 2:37 PM, bluesgeek said:

[ASIDE: I could mention that this is a good method for reverting to previous versions of EN iOS.] 

Just an update to mention that the method for reverting to previous versions of EN iOS does not work with the most recent version of iTunes (12.7). The new version does not allow maintenance of apps from within iTunes (necessary for reverting), but only through an iOS device. 

If you inadvertently have updated iTunes and still want to be able to maintain your iOS apps from iTunes, you can use this method to revert iTunes to v 12.6.2.

Archived