code block should not autoformat

bountonw

Idea

The purpose of a code block is to render unformatted text in a monospaced font. When writing code, two dashes should be represented as two dashes and not an em-dash or en-dash. A quote, double quote or tick should remain as typed and not do some "smart" behavior. A lowercase initial word is meant to stay lowercase. Please turn off auto-formatting for code blocks

This is not a feature request. This is a bug report. :) 

• Like 2

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Helps to specify the platform that you're referring to. The em-dash thingy doesn't appear to occur on the Windows client. Otherwise, I agree that this sort of behavior should be off in a code block. Upvoted.

I also have this issue on OSX running the latest versions of everything. Single quoted strings turning to weird quotes, so code is wrong when pasting it into REPLs. Is this whole ‘unformatted monospace text’ thing really that hard? If Evernote devs dogfood, I’m sure they are aware of the issue.

• Level 5*
On 2017-07-09 at 10:17 PM, bountonw said:

When writing code, two dashes should be represented as two dashes and not an em-dash or en-dash. A quote, double quote or tick should remain as typed and not do some "smart" behavior. A lowercase initial word is meant to stay lowercase. Please turn off auto-formatting for code blocks

14 minutes ago, Sethicus said:

I also have this issue on OSX running the latest versions of everything. Single quoted strings turning to weird quotes, so code is wrong when pasting it into REPLs. Is this whole ‘unformatted monospace text’ thing really that hard? If Evernote devs dogfood, I’m sure they are aware of the issue.

What are your Mac preference settings for auto-formatting5a09219276b18_ScreenShot2017-11-12at20_30_50.png.80f72f80d8b53f3d6035632944cc12d5.png

•  

Changing the Mac's auto-formatting settings for double quotes is NOT a "solution". It's just a "workaround", and quite an undesirable one.

A "code block" feature is useless if it does not allow you to enter text as literal characters, regardless of source (typed in or via pasting). Every text editor on the planet that purports to be a "text editor" does not auto-format code like Evernote does, and it really needs to be fixed if they are going to call this feature a "code block" in good conscience. If you can't trust that your code is actually valid code when entered into an Evernote document, then they should remove this feature until it can be fixed.

• Like 1