PDF opening broken in Android version on Chromebooks...

Using the Android version of Evernote, I can't click and open attached PDFs. The PDF shows as an attachment in the note, but does not interact to clicks with the mouse or touches with the touch screen. This is on a Samsung Chromebook Pro

I know I can use the Web version, but I really don't want to because I would like offline support and really need ink annotation of PDFs, which isn't well supported in the Web version.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Have you tried logging out of everything and switching the device off and on again?  Or if that doesn't help,  uninstalling and reinstalling?  That's about as much teching as is possible on a mobile OS...

• Level 5
On 7/9/2017 at 7:23 PM, KF6GPE said:

Using the Android version of Evernote, I can't click and open attached PDFs. The PDF shows as an attachment in the note, but does not interact to clicks with the mouse or touches with the touch screen. This is on a Samsung Chromebook Pro

I know I can use the Web version, but I really don't want to because I would like offline support and really need ink annotation of PDFs, which isn't well supported in the Web version.

What version of the Android app do you have? Also, what app is designated on your device for handling PDFs? The EN Android app (at least on my phone) does not handle attachments itself, but opens them in whatever program is the default for the document type on the device.

Looks like 7.1.2, per the log (below) I captured.

Incidentally, on a lark I tried installing an Android PDF viewer in case that was the problem, and still no luck --- clicking PDFs results in nothing.

Account Info ---------------------------------------- UserId: 153988 Email: kf6gpe@lothlorien.com Username: kf6gpe Service: https://www.evernote.com Path from DB instance: /data/user/0/com.evernote/files/user-153988/.external-1499523908395-Evernote.db Version: 120 Read only: false DB pref Path: /data/user/0/com.evernote/files/user-153988/.external-1499523908395-Evernote.db DB file on sdcard exists: true DB size in bytes: 1355776 lastModified: Mon Jul 17 19:13:49 PDT 2017 Notes count: 448 Resource count: 477 Linked Notes count: 119 Linked Resource count: 63 Auto Sync Enabled: true Master Sync Enabled: true Sync Interval: NOT SET Accessibility: 0 Offline Search is activated Offline Search Index is ready ENML COUNT=191 RES COUNT=4 ------------------------- Device and Install Info ---------------------------------------- Brand: google Model: caroline Product: caroline Display: R58-9334.72.0 release-keys Android version: 7.1.1 Preloaded: false IsTablet: true Evernote version: 7.12(1080154) Evernote revision: 7.12_2105 Evernote type: public Webview version: 59.0.3071.125(307112510) Network operator: / Locale: en_US isRTL: false Package: com.evernote Arch: i686 Arch supported: [x86, armeabi-v7a, armeabi] Orientation: Landscape Data path: /data/user/0/com.evernote/files Internal storage: 8 GB / 24 GB External storage: 8 GB / 24 GB SDCardStatus: null Installer: com.android.vending Rooted: false Xposed: false WebView UA: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 7.1.1; caroline Build/R58-9334.72.0; wv) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/59.0.3071.125 Safari/537.36 Chromium version: 59.0.3071.125 ------------------------- Breadcrumbs ---------------------------------------- ui.EvernotePreferenceActivity - onResume @ 198 19:14:03 ui.EvernotePreferenceActivity - onPause @ 198 19:14:01 CeNoteFragment - onStop @ 198 19:13:48 NoteListFragment - onStop @ 198 19:13:48 HomeDrawerFragment - onStop @ 198 19:13:48 TabletMainActivity - onStop @ 198 19:13:48 TabletMainActivity - onSavedInstanceState @ 198 19:13:48 ui.EvernotePreferenceActivity - onResume @ 198 19:13:47 ui.EvernotePreferenceActivity - onStart @ 198 19:13:47 ui.EvernotePreferenceActivity - onCreate - null bundle = true @ 198 19:13:47 CeNoteFragment - onPause @ 198 19:13:47 NoteListFragment - onPause @ 198 19:13:47 HomeDrawerFragment - onPause @ 198 19:13:47 TabletMainActivity - onPause @ 198 19:13:47 HomeDrawerFragment - startActivity - component = ComponentInfo{com.evernote/com.evernote.ui.EvernotePreferenceActivity} - empty action - empty data @ 198 19:13:47 RightDrawerCeMenuActivity - onDestroy @ 198 19:13:46 RightDrawerCeMenuActivity - onDestroy @ 198 19:13:46 RightDrawerCeMenuActivity - onStop @ 198 19:13:46 CeNoteFragment - onResume @ 198 19:13:46 NoteListFragment - onResume @ 198 19:13:46 HomeDrawerFragment - onResume @ 198 19:13:46 TabletMainActivity - onResume @ 198 19:13:46 RightDrawerCeMenuActivity - finish @ 198 19:13:46 RightDrawerCeMenuActivity - onPause @ 198 19:13:46 RightDrawerCeMenuActivity - finish @ 198 19:13:46 RightDrawerCeMenuActivity - finish @ 198 19:13:46 RightDrawerCeMenuActivity - onResume @ 198 19:13:43 RightDrawerCeMenuActivity - onStart @ 198 19:13:43 RightDrawerCeMenuActivity - onCreate - null bundle = true @ 198 19:13:42 CeNoteFragment - onPause @ 198 19:13:42 NoteListFragment - onPause @ 198 19:13:42 HomeDrawerFragment - onPause @ 198 19:13:42 TabletMainActivity - onPause @ 198 19:13:42 CeNoteFragment - startActivity - component = ComponentInfo{com.evernote/com.evernote.note.composer.richtext.ce.TabletRightDrawerCeMenuActivity} - empty action - empty data @ 198 19:13:42 CeNoteFragment - onResume @ 198 19:13:30 CeNoteFragment - onStart @ 198 19:13:30 CeNoteFragment - onCreate - null bundle = true @ 198 19:13:30 CeNoteFragment - onAttach @ 198 19:13:30 ui.HomeActivity - onStop @ 198 19:13:22 OEMEngine - finallyRefresh @ 198 19:13:21 NoteListFragment - onResume @ 198 19:13:21 HomeDrawerFragment - onResume @ 198 19:13:21 TabletMainActivity - onResume @ 198 19:13:21 OEMEngine - startRefresh @ 198 19:13:21 NoteListFragment - onStart @ 198 19:13:21 HomeDrawerFragment - onStart @ 198 19:13:21 TabletMainActivity - onStart @ 198 19:13:21 NoteListFragment - onCreate - null bundle = true @ 198 19:13:21 NoteListFragment - onAttach @ 198 19:13:21 HomeDrawerFragment - onCreate - null bundle = true @ 198 19:13:21 HomeDrawerFragment - onAttach @ 198 19:13:21 TabletMainActivity - onCreate - null bundle = true @ 198 19:13:20 ui.HomeActivity - onPause @ 198 19:13:20 ui.HomeActivity - onResume @ 198 19:13:19 ui.HomeActivity - onStart @ 198 19:13:19 OEMEngine - constructor @ 198 19:13:19 ui.HomeActivity - onCreate - null bundle = true @ 198 19:13:19 -------------------------

• Level 5

Looks like you have v. 7.12, which does fine opening PDFs and other attachments using the default apps on my phone. I know absolutely nothing about Chromebooks, so I ought to let someone else chime in. But the next step would probably be to uninstall Evernote and reinstall it. You won't lose anything, since all your notes actually reside on the Evernote servers--except for any notes you have designated as offline. You should temporarily remove that designation, if there are any such notes; and in any case be sure to sync everything manually before you uninstall. If that doesn't work, then you should probably contact Evernote support.

Thanks. Reinstalling didn't help --- and ironically, there's also some problems with submitting a bug in the native Android UI as well! I think they just need more testing on Chrome OS. Will trundle off to file that bug. :)

Cheers!

• Level 5
2 hours ago, KF6GPE said:

Thanks. Reinstalling didn't help --- and ironically, there's also some problems with submitting a bug in the native Android UI as well! I think they just need more testing on Chrome OS. Will trundle off to file that bug. :)

Cheers!

Yeah, the Android bug report process has had that bug in it for ages. <_< Totally s***s. Please report back here what you find out. I'm curious to know.

Works fine for me on an Acer Chromebook R11 (which is on the beta channel, Android 6.01). I have installed the Google Drive Android App, and the integrated PDF viewer of drive is used. What happens when you tap/click the three dots next to the PDF and select e.g. "Annotate" or "View"?

• 4 months later...

Is this still an ongoing issue for some people?

I just got the ASUS chromebook flip C302 today and running android Evernote 7.14.1. It seems like I have the same issue as KF6GPEI can't seem to open any PDF attachments. PDF annotation is an important feature for me.

Got Asus Chromebook Flip C302 as well, and having same issue.  Can't open PDF documents as attachments which is beyond annoying.  Has to be a Chromebook Issue, as I can do it no Problem on my phone, but not on the Chromebook.  Only work around is the Web, however need offline support.  Any using a Pixelbook with this issue?  Considering upgrading to have the best of the best and also for Business, as this will be my only device.  Would great appreciate any work arounds or resolution to this issue.  I contacted support, and followed their steps to uninstall app, restart, and install again and still not working for me.  Beyond frustrating.

Just an update. I tried playing around with certain settings and here's what I found:

I updated Evernote to the beta version and switched my chromebook to developer mode.

I realized that any mouse-clicks on the PDF attachments have no effect however when I use the touchscreen (click on the three dots), I am able to open up the usual menu and most but not all menu options are working:

• Annotate - works!
  • View - works!
  • Copy - works!
  • Edit - error: Could not find any Windows or native application to open this file
  • Edit a copy - error: Could not find any Windows or native application to open this file
  • Remove - works!
  • Download - works!

I'm not sure if changing to beta and/or developer mode changed things but it certainly seems like the program is not optimized for chromebooks. At least things are semi-functional and usable for me but not ideal... I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Same issue where:

Today, no application available message even though I have Squid, Adobe Acrobat, xodo, MS Word,(which by the way loves hijacking the "default PDF" once in a while.

mouse clicks do not work, must use touch screen to access menus (also applies to checkboxes BTW)

------

Device and Install Info
----------------------------------------
Brand: google
Model: Google Pixelbook
Product: eve
Display: R64-10176.76.0 release-keys
Display Width: 2400
Display Height: 1504
Display Density: 1.5
Android version: 7.1.1
Preloaded: false
IsTablet: true
Evernote version: 7.17.1(1081014)
Evernote revision: 7.17.1_2305
Evernote type: public

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

PSA!

It seems like a lot things were broken for the android app on recent update (the one where the logo changed). Namely, opening pdf's to view in chrome is not working. And the annotate function is much glitchier. 

HOWEVER, i think i have good news!

..... I just downloaded "Xodo" on the google play store and it seems to be integrating flawlessly with evernote. It has really advanced PDF annotation capabilities. If you look into the setting for a few minutes, you can basically configure it to work exactly like the evernote PDF annotation (continuous scrolling, etc), except without the really annoying annotation summary thingy.

The app opens up straight in evernote. It was kind of confusing at first because it doesn't switch out out of the evernote. So if you click to open the pdf in the evernote android app, then the evernot app will switch to the Xodo app. But then when you are done annotation you can click the back-facing arrow in the top left corner and it will send the window back to evernote, at which point it will ask you if you want to save you annotations. (Then, to further ensure upload/syncing to the cloud, i think you need to click the back arrow one more time so that you seen the green upward facing arrow on the note tab indicatin it is uploading.)

... I know the last paragraph sounds confusing, but its really not too bad. And so far it seems like Xodo is really an awesome app! The app seems super stable and has never crashed yet when I was resizing windows, switching between portrait and landscape orientation, or going in and out of splitscreen.

Also, as a side note, with the recent update, it does seem like mouse clicks (rather that touch screen) are working better in evernote for opening pdfs (which is not to say it was a good update for the android app, but it is one things that seems to be a slight improvement).

From the xodo website: "The Xodo app is free for personal use and it will stay so. Currently there are also no limitations in terms of features, data use, etc. In the event we find violations to our basic terms of use (which was not a problem so far), we may restrict data use or some other aspect of the online service. We may charge for additional cloud services (e.g. extra online storage and options); but all current local features (annotation, editing, optimization, etc) of the app will stay free forever."

Archived