The feature I want more than anything else is Confidence

Ardeet

Idea

I want confidence in my data integrity. I want confidence in my syncing. I want confidence in my offline access.

I love Evernote. I am a premium user and I have been for years. I used to recommend (almost evangelise) Evernote regularly, however I stopped that because I have lost confidence in the product. It is the feature I want back more than anything else.

I don't want workarounds or "real soon now". I don't want "simply delete and reinstall" ... again. I don't want to think about alternatives to the product I love.

The announcement I most want to hear from Evernote is that you are concentrating on making the product robustly unbreakable.

I don't care if everything looks the same for the next eighteen months. I don't care if there are no more features added. What I care about more than anything else is picking up my phone and quickly jotting down an important note with no concern about its integrity.

Give me that confidence and I'll give you back my loyalty.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I don't think you'll ever get a guarantee that nothing bad will happen
Evernote has to keep updating their service; if not for users requesting changes, the computer operating systems keep changing

For me, this means I take the good with the bad, but always protecting myself when things go wrong

• I don't install updates on my working devices until I know the issues
    I can downgrade from software updates if necessary
  • My data is backed up.  I can recover from any data loss
  • My data is not locked in to Evernote.  At any time, I can export my data

Yes, I understand that there can be no guarantees. That's why I also take the same precautions as you.

Development is a finite resource so I'm asking that the pie be sliced in favour of robustness rather than bling. You can still serve out the necessary amount for maintenance and adaptation however the remainder of the pie is sliced with discretion.

• Level 5
14 hours ago, Ardeet said:

What I care about more than anything else is picking up my phone and quickly jotting down an important note with no concern about its integrity.

I've been using Evernote on a daily basis for 9 years. My current note count is 47,763

Never lost a note and still amazed how quickly I can find almost anything.

Each year of data integrity builds my confidence in the program.

Yep, I stick with it because of the features and capabilities. It's my primary information management system.

However I have had problems with it and a cursory scan of the forums will show you that many others have as well, particularly with the most recent releases over th last eighteen months or so.

Can I make a guess that the majority of your use is on a laptop/desktop and that you have a fairly solid internet connection?

Once you are primarily on multiple mobile devices, with slow and/or patchy internet and offline access is mandatory then the experience of Evernote can sour.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Ardeet said:

Once you are primarily on multiple mobile devices, with slow and/or patchy internet and offline access is mandatory then the experience of Evernote can sour.

And most things on line I would expect.  Sorry for your pain.

• Level 5
17 hours ago, Ardeet said:

Can I make a guess that the majority of your use is on a laptop/desktop and that you have a fairly solid internet connection?

You are correct. Evernote is also my primary information management system. For large amounts of data, my home internet can't be beat. Due to weak to no cellular signal here in rural Maine, I limit my cell phone to calls, taking photos, and a few games.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Ardeet said:

Main computer is a desktop computer (Mac) and solid internet connections
Secondary device is an iPad  (IOS)
I have an iPhone (IOS) but almost never use it for Evernote

Evernote does work in offline mode.  
Possibly turn off wifi if the service is patchy and sync when you get a solid connection

Archived