Feature Request: short cut to move bullets in a list up/down

Daniel81

Idea

In many MS applications (e.g. PPT, Word, Outlook) there is a short cut to move a bullet within a list of bullets quickly up/down in order to change the order of bullets. It's as simple as selecting a bullet and then hitting either Shift+Alt+Up arrow or Shift+Alt+Down arrow to move the bullet above or below the upper or lower adjacent bullet.

Why would this be a great feature for Evernote: I think many people use it to store things in lists, for example todo lists, and it facilitates exactly that in a great way.

Curious to learn what others think about this.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Evernote is still developing features for its new common editor,  so suggestions like this will go into a to-do list of its own somewhere;  if you get a lot of votes it'll rise toward the top.  I have voted for it (top left of the page) but I do think this is a nice-to-have that should come after fixing tables and some of the other editor oddities that we're still seeing...

I'll vote this up but it's not the best/only change to make Evernote look more like some other decent note taking apps.

I'd like full expand/collapse. I'd like to be able to indent the higher-up bullet (in the hierarchy) and have all the siblings indent at the same time. Of course, same for outdent.

Less important but nice would be a way to change the symbols used for bullets - just like most UL/OL implementations. Same for numbered lists.

Everyone has their own work habits but I think a good hierarchical structure is better than fancy tables.

It's not as elegant as alt + shift + arrow (up or down), but here is the workaround I just discovered. For any list that is numbered, bulleted, or has a checkbox at the beginning of each line--if you hover over the number number or checkbox--you will see a little hand appear. Once the hand appears, you can left click, and easily drag the item (or line) up or down the list.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, JodyHeath.Com said:

It's not as elegant as alt + shift + arrow (up or down), but here is the workaround I just discovered. For any list that is numbered, bulleted, or has a checkbox at the beginning of each line--if you hover over the number number or checkbox--you will see a little hand appear. Once the hand appears, you can left click, and easily drag the item (or line) up or down the list.

Good find!  This a recent add?  I don't know that I've ever seen this functionality.  Check box not quite as intuitive, but all three seem to work fine.

3 hours ago, JodyHeath.Com said:

You can also drag text around in the same manner if you highlight it first.

Yeah, would be nice to have. Not only for lists, but just for general text as well. A lot of times I wanna move a line up or down.

A lot of IDE (code editors) have this as well. E.g. IntelliJ. Notepad++ has the same behavior too.

Control-Shift + Up/Down would be my preferred shortcut. I see this is currently mapped to sub/superscript, but I don't think those should have a shortcut...

Ticket can probably be move to "general feature requests". It's not really windows specific...

Archived