(Archived) Extremely frustrated after installing beta of Evernote

I have an AMD X2 3500+ computer with 2 GB of memory using XP Pro SP2 and just installed Evernote beta. I have tested betas before and am currently using beta nightly builds of Firefox. After I installed Evernote and entered the incorrect login for the Evernote username and password, the beta took over my machine by using 92% of the CPU! I could neither kill off the process tree nor regain control of my computer. I actually had to reboot the computer completely!

Why doesn't Evernote timeout within a reasonable amount of time trying to login instead of a deadly embrace?

I have an AMD X2 3500+ computer with 2 GB of memory using XP Pro SP2 and just installed Evernote beta. I have tested betas before and am currently using beta nightly builds of Firefox. After I installed Evernote and entered the incorrect login for the Evernote username and password, the beta took over my machine by using 92% of the CPU! I could neither kill off the process tree nor regain control of my computer. I actually had to reboot the computer completely!

Why doesn't Evernote timeout within a reasonable amount of time trying to login instead of a deadly embrace?

I think that's why they call it a "beta".

No that would be an alpha release. I have beta tested many apps over the years and Evernote is one of the very few betas which I could not kill off its task using either the taskmanger of SysInternals Process monitor.

No that would be an alpha release. I have beta tested many apps over the years and Evernote is one of the very few betas which I could not kill off its task using either the taskmanger of SysInternals Process monitor.

If you want to split hares, get a hatchet and go to a pet store. :) I don't think that the dividing line between alpha and beta is that definitive. In your own words, "one of the very few betas".

I quit installing betas on my computers years ago, after I'd had similar disasters with what were also called betas. I only installed this one after a number of people had installed it without mishap, and my curiosity got the better of me. All I'm saying is that if you install "betas" (as defined by the distributor, not the customer), you should know by now you run that risk. It's pointless to come on with angry posts because a beta locked up your system. They do that. :shock:

Best of luck getting it all sorted out. :)

I did't have such problem . my version is 3.0.0.539

I did't have such problem . my version is 3.0.0.539

In my case I quit all of the unnecessary applications in the systray and started up the beta and every time I tell it to login it it just sits there without throwing any error message at all. This has happened on three occasions but only when I attempted to login.

I have no idea why the heck I was having all the problems. It did not matter whether I had IE, FF 2.12 nor FF 3.bpre5 opening up EverNote would lock up the computer solid every time I tried to logon. For some reason the next time I tried it, a couple of days later it had no problems logging in. I changed nothing here and it certainly wasn't a lack of rebooting, since I did that a lot after each of the lockups.

I have no idea why the heck I was having all the problems. It did not matter whether I had IE, FF 2.12 nor FF 3.bpre5 opening up EverNote would lock up the computer solid every time I tried to logon. For some reason the next time I tried it, a couple of days later it had no problems logging in. I changed nothing here and it certainly wasn't a lack of rebooting, since I did that a lot after each of the lockups.

What version of the beta are you using? There is/was a problem where going offline pegged the cpu at 100% (other threads in this forum cover the issue) and I was also unable to close it using the methods you tried. This has apparently been fixed in v3.0.0.539.

I spoke too soon. ;) After my last post I tried installing Evernote Portable and when it started up it too locked up tight when attempting to login. Both are .539 versions.

I have tried EN on three PCs. Two of them run EN fine (an XP and a Vista pc). The third one, a WinXP home SP2 shows exactly the same behaviour as described by pcguy. When clicking on login it just consumes the whole cpu time and I also found it really strange that I was not able to kill this app anymore. Neither with taskmanager nor with process explorer. I'm also running the latest beta .539.

I'm curious if the problem with consuming CPU at login is somehow connected with the presence of the password-protected proxy in the chain. Can anyone experiencing this problem tell me if there is a proxy set up on your machine or not?

Ok, thanks. Will investigate further.

Another question from the top of my head: is there any firewall set on the machine on which you experience connection problems? AFAIK, SP2 was the update where the internal Windows Firewall was first introduced.

There is proxy software installed but it is not running here at the time. There is a software firewall on this machine, Sunbelt Kerio Personal firewall. However no change was made to it and the 3.0.0.542 runs ok but even its portable Evernote still locks up the machine when it attempts to login.

There is a software firewall on this machine, Sunbelt Kerio Personal firewall. However no change was made to it and the 3.0.0.542 runs ok but even its portable Evernote still locks up the machine when it attempts to login.

Does the 'Check for updates' feature work on this portable installation of Evernote?

Also, can you PM me the ENOptions.xml file which is located in X:\My Evernote Files\Program Files, where X: is the disk you installed Evernote portable to?

I would still suggest you to double-check the firewall settings as portable and desktop Evernote are two different executables (i.e. in the different locations), and firewall can be configured to block web access for one executable while permitting access for the other.

There is a software firewall on this machine, Sunbelt Kerio Personal firewall. However no change was made to it and the 3.0.0.542 runs ok but even its portable Evernote still locks up the machine when it attempts to login.

Does the 'Check for updates' feature work on this portable installation of Evernote?

No because the check for updates option is missing from the Help menu in the portable version, perhaps because it can not login.

Also, can you PM me the ENOptions.xml file which is located in X:\My Evernote Files\Program Files, where X: is the disk you installed Evernote portable to?

Done

I would still suggest you to double-check the firewall settings as portable and desktop Evernote are two different executables (i.e. in the different locations), and firewall can be configured to block web access for one executable while permitting access for the other.

Well when this same problem occurred with the desktop version, even shutting down Sunbelt Kerion Personal firewall did nothing to fix that problem and disabling the software firewall did not help the portable version.

My problematic PC also runs Kerio Firewall. But I also tried starting EN with disabled Firewall with the same effect: high cpu-load forever ...

Btw. update function works, so I was able to download and install the new 542 build (even with Firewall enabled, as I have created a rule for EN), but upon pressing on logging same thing happens as before: 100% CPU load forever and somehow EN manages it so that process manager cannot kill it...

I have the same problem. Trying with Evernote version 3.0.0.550 and I also have installed Kerio firewall. I also can check for updates, but when I try to log in, I've got a "Connection timeout" error and CPU is always at 100%.

Proved in 3 different PCs, but all with XP SP2 and Kerio.

We reproduced the problem with the Kerio Firewall, and it seems that the bug is on the firewall side. Even if we set up explicit permissions for Evernote application, the firewall blocks Evernote. As Evernote had no problems with other firewalls so far, and uses standard system libraries for Internet access, the only thing I can suggest for now is to try another firewall software. We will add the notice to our Known Problems / Limitation page that Evernote conflicts with Subnet Kerio Personal Firewall.

Archived