Web Clipper Should only Save on Desktop

eurekargos

Idea

Web Clipper is very useful, but currently in order to save a web page,  it can only work if it can save it directly into a notebook on the cloud. 

But most companies block the access to evernote site; and thus directly block the use of web clipper at work.

Recommendation: It should only save the web page nto a Notebook on the computer.  When the computer then or later is connected to the Cloud (evernote account), syncrhonization between desktop and cloud account should happen.

Seems an easy fix. This is a basic feature and is implemented in all cloud synchronized applications (icloud, google drive; box, dropbox, etc). 

10 replies to this idea

I think that I was rather clear: I am connected to internet; but it often happens that companies block access to evernote.com address from their company network. I could still use the Web Clipper though as it is a desktop application, if it did not try to access the evernote.com site in order to download the list of my notebooks and tags. This is an unnecessary activity. Webclipper should only look at the notebooks I have locally on my computer; and the same for tags.

• Level 5*

Just making sure I had the right picture.  As it happens I'm also a fan of a clip-to-local feature - I used the Firefox browser for a while because that Clipper would save locally...before it was updated and that option disappeared.  I did inquire whether the local option would be back,  but got the firm impression it would not.

My preference was on the basis that I often clip more than one item from a web page,  and if the clip is saved locally I can open the note for copying and pasting immediately after the first clip without having to wait for a sync first.

Don't know whether this is a technical or a policy issue but it seems unlikely to change anytime soon.  If you're a paying Evernote user,  is it possible for you to send clips to your account by email?  You'll also be able to copy and past or screenshot items,  but obviously without the convenience of Clipper's options - including the need to copy the URL separately.

We are in sync! I think that it is a policy! Not clear why.. Hopefully it is not because they will introduce it as a new feature and ask for more money.

I am a paid customer, but would like to save read and highlighted versions of every  web page I try to save; not just email them. 

I am pretty sure it is an "idiotic" mistake on behalf of Evernote. I love the program very much and use it a lot, but the limitation described here, limits its reach and usability and if an alternative program shows up that solves this limitation, I will start using that!

I too would prefer clipping directly to the desktop for yet another reason: personal information. Anything that includes my full name and address goes into my local notebook OR I edit the page and remove said information before syncing. But now everything goes to the cloud first and I have to be quick about removing the info before resyncing. But even then I think the Evernote Note HIstory might always keep that original note with the personal info...

• Level 5*

At a guess, the reason that they have a policy of going to the cloud first is because they can then avoid needing to access the local notes database from the browser, which may be a problem, security-wise. So they push everything through the Evernote API, which communicates with the Evernote servers. It's also possible that by going through the cloud, they can offload processing of the web page to their servers. hey certainly do that with the Android web clipper, and possibly the iOS' clipper as well. All guesswork, though, as I say.

If I need to clip locally, I just copy / paste direct from the page to Evernote. Unfortunately, that doesn't give access to the web clipper's nice tools (selection, simplified article, etc.), but that's not often a big deal for me.

I think that a solution for them would be to enable users to operate on "local notebooks" as easily as one operates on cloud-based ones. This would solve of problem I described and the sensitivity on content security (which I am not sure if it is 100% private). 

19 hours ago, gazumped said:

A screen grab gets saved direct to the local database, so I tend to screen grab anything sensitive to my desktop or direct to a note and clip other stuff.

That is a good workaround and I use that when I can.  Of course sometimes that means scrolling, which requires a screen capture program that permits scrolling (I have two of them) because I want all the info from Amazon, not just what I can capture on the first page (for example)

And if you want access to the data later on any device then you have to open the jpg in a program, blur the info, then move to a synced folder. Damned pain in the ass if you ask me.  

Wouldn't it be cool if you could get Evernote to auto blur or hide certain phrases, like your full name, home address or phone number or whatever else you want to keep private? I know, wishful thinking.  

• Level 5*

Now that's an idea - maybe with Evernote's new AI skills that sort of thing may be possible.  Good feature request anyway - blow encryption,  just blur account numbers,  names etc.  User highlights individual sections to be blurred,  and the system tags that exact character string wherever it appears.

Although given the propensity for new features to have interesting bugs,  it might mean you'd wake up to find entire notes looking like greyscale pictures...  ^_^

Archived