How to view a word attachment in evernote

Johnny Labuschagne

Idea

·         Good Day,

Hope someone can help. I have word or pdf documents to notes in Evernote. I have added them separately because I want to tag each document individually. At the moment some of the documents displays in Evernote and some just provide the attachment. Thus if I want to view the content of the word document I need to open the document in word and jump between screens. Is there a way to view my word document or pdf document in the view screen by note in Evernote?

Or possibly a better way of viewing documents while I am busy adding multiple tags to the note which the document presents?

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  While Windows will display image and PDF files 'inline' (ie the content is visible in a note),  other sorts of files,  including MSOffice are attached purely as icons.  There's no option to do otherwise,  other than copying the content of a file and pasting it into the note as text.  Premium customers have the benefit of Word and other office files being indexed for searches,  while other levels of account do not;  so if you're Basic or Plus it's a good idea to copy the content into the note as well as attaching the file.  Its contents are then also indexed,  and provide 'instant' keywords.

Where I attach long files to notes - formal reports or minutes forinstance - I tend to create an executive summary page as a title page so I can copy and paste that into my note to give me more idea what the contents are.  (I have a premium account,  but sometimes a keyword search will give me several options.  Paging through the notes and viewing the summaries gives me a quick way to find the right one.)

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Johnny Labuschagne said:

At the moment some of the documents displays in Evernote and some just provide the attachment.

Displaying office documents "inline" is a nice feature.  It's available on the Mac platform

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Johnny Labuschagne said:

to view my word document or pdf document in the view screen by note in Evernote

If you want your default to be PDFs viewed in line go to Tools - Options - Note and uncheck Always show PDF documents as attachments.  You can change to an attachment icon within the note by right clicking the PDF and selecting View as attachment should the need arise for an individual note.