Double click in pdf should not open pdf but select text

mlu

I work a lot with selecting, cut and paste text from evernote to other applications. It is annoying - at least for me - not to be able to double click a text string in a searchable pdf, and then select copy. Or is there already a way to achieve this? For me the pdf opens in the default app when double clicking anywhere in it, something that could just as easily be left to clicking on the "eye" symbol.

• Level 5*

Only way I know to get text from a searchable PDF is to highlight/copy/paste.  

Issue may be how would EN differentiate between a double click for a word versus a double click to open an app?

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, mlu said:

double click a text string in a searchable pdf, and then select copy.   Or is there already a way to achieve this? 

My process is to select the text, right-click, copy (Mac)

1 minute ago, csihilling said:

Only way I know to get text from a searchable PDF is to highlight/copy/paste.  

Issue may be how would EN differentiate between a double click for a word versus a double click to open an app?

Yes, this is the way I do it all the time: Highlight>Copy>Paste, but the process of highlighting is much slower and strenuous for the hand than just double clicking. Why should Evernote open the pdf when being double clicked on - you have the eye icon for that purpose. In all other applications I can think you, you can select text by double clicking. If not already supported somehow I maybe should try to make a feature request?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, mlu said:

In all other applications I can think you, you can select text by double clicking

Evernote offers an inline viewer for pdfs.
This is different than the native format for the app

Yes, double clicking works on the native format in most apps, including Evernote

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, mlu said:

Yes, this is the way I do it all the time: Highlight>Copy>Paste, but the process of highlighting is much slower and strenuous for the hand than just double clicking. Why should Evernote open the pdf when being double clicked on - you have the eye icon for that purpose. In all other applications I can think you, you can select text by double clicking. If not already supported somehow I maybe should try to make a feature request?

Feature request would be the way to go.  

Yeah, PDF attachments are the ?only? type where you can see content without opening, on Windows at least.  So it might be controllable for EN.

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote offers an inline viewer for pdfs.
This is different than the native format for the app

Yes, double clicking works on the native format in most apps, including Evernote

How does this inline viewer works and how to activate?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, mlu said:

How does this inline viewer works and how to activate?

I think you're already using the inline viewer if you're selecting text

My process on the Mac is to right-click on the pdf595524288f59a_ScreenShot2017-06-29at08_58_17.png.202e69fc29b5ede542365c19cdb7163d.png
As I noted, this doesn't give you double-clicking word selection

As you said a Request Feature post would be the next step
https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/304-evernote-feature-requests/?do=add

Request posted at

Archived