DEADLY BAD PERFORMANCE!

dmitry_bond

Idea

Hi.

Current version of EverNote for Windows (6.5.4.4720 (304720)) have TERRIBLY BAD PERFORMANCE of search functionality!  I mean search within all notes.

I typed some text in search field and it hang for 7-10 minutes!!! THAT IS A REAL NIGHTMARE! How is that possible at all?!
Are you developers real idiots to implement search functionality in the same thread as UI to make it totally unresponsive?! And not to show any search progress?!

Guys! PLEASE!
Fix the performance of search functionality in Windows version in EverNote.
At least:
1) UI should be responsive
2) Must be progress indicator
3) Must be [cancel search] button
4) (if possible) please do not do the search as user typing! Because on huge notes database it is a real nightmare!

Thank you.

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  First,  this is a mainly user-supported forum.  If you have an issue to report please  reach out to Support directly if you're a paying customer on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or tweet them if not via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

If you'd like to find out whether any other Evernote users has or had the same issue,  and if so,  whether and how they fixed it,  then you're in the right place.

Freezing while searching is an occasional issue,  but there are several things you can do to fix this,  in increasing order of difficulty...

1. Copy (backup) your entire Databases folder to your desktop as a precaution.  (Usually at C:\Users\<user>\Evernote\Databases)
  2. log out of Evernote and restart your system
  3. go to Evernote Desktop > Tools > Options > Search and change the options.  '0' in the Search as you type delay will switch that off.
  4. try refreshing your search index - Evernote Desktop > Ctrl+Help > Recreate Type Ahead Search Index & Recreate Full Text Search Index
  5. uninstall / restart / reinstall Evernote the app
  6. If you have Local Notebooks*:  Export the notebooks to ENEX files (including tags),  one per notebook. then see 7
  7. If you DO NOT  have Local Notebooks or have already exported them -
  • File > Exit Evernote. 
  • Rename your Databases folder to Database.Old. 
  • Restart Evernote and rebuild the folder from the server.

* What is a local notebook? 

If you've tried all the above and still have issues,  what else do you have running on your system?  Other internet activity / too many background apps / not enough hard disk space can all cause slowing issues - check on Windows Task Manager to see what's locking up your device.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, dmitry_bond said:

Hi.

Current version of EverNote for Windows (6.5.4.4720 (304720)) have TERRIBLY BAD PERFORMANCE of search functionality!  I mean search within all notes.

I typed some text in search field and it hang for 7-10 minutes!!! THAT IS A REAL NIGHTMARE! How is that possible at all?!
Are you developers real idiots to implement search functionality in the same thread as UI to make it totally unresponsive?! And not to show any search progress?!

Guys! PLEASE!
Fix the performance of search functionality in Windows version in EverNote.
At least:
1) UI should be responsive
2) Must be progress indicator
3) Must be [cancel search] button
4) (if possible) please do not do the search as user typing! Because on huge notes database it is a real nightmare!

Thank you.

If you don't want search as you type, use Ctrl+Q

Thank you for answers.
Small replies on you answers:
a) I do not use "Local Notebooks".
b ) "Recreate Type Ahead Search Index" & "Recreate Full Text Search Index" actions did not helped - search performance is still very bad.
c) Renaming/reloading local structure of notebooks manually - THAT IS VERY BAD PRACTICE! There MUST BE special item in menu to do this operation. For example in Microsoft Access there is "Compact and Repair Database" item in menu which performs simular operation. That is the "must-thing" for in-memory/in-file database engines like EverNote using (or like MS Access using). User do not have to do all that manual "hack operations" every time he facing performance problems! Also, reloading ~1Gb of notes database every time - that is very bad thing! User do not have to do that. All my notebooks exported to *.ENEX files allocates ~200Mb on disk. However *.EXB file in "c:\Users\Dmitry\Evernote\Databases\" allocated 7.5Gb.
d) Ok. Thank you for hint - I changed "Search as type" delay to 9999. But that did not help with the search itself! It is still taking 7-15 minutes to search simple phrase.
e) FYI: my PC is not overloaded with background applications. It is Intel Core-i5-4570-3.2GHz/16 Gb RAM/0.5Tb SSD, so PC is quite powerful and there is quite small set of other software running with EverNote. Thus, that is wrong direction you are trying to look.

Please understand - the unresponsive UI is the real problem for such applications as EverNote!

So, in particular:

1) there is no progress indication (EveryNote application is simply hanging for 5-15 minutes - that is very user unfriendly!)
2) it is not possible to stop search (I have to wait for 7-15 min while it is searching, even when I typed wrong phrase by mistake)

Even in our small team with using quite old development platform we understand this problem and always focusing it in our applications. But EverNote has big team and it is huge service, so I'm confused and puzzled - how is that possible that such class of problems is not addressed by EverNote?!

I hope I provided enough details so you clearly see now that EverNote for Windows has a HUGE PROBLEM in Search functionality?

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, dmitry_bond said:

All my notebooks exported to *.ENEX files allocates ~200Mb on disk. However *.EXB file in "c:\Users\Dmitry\Evernote\Databases\" allocated 7.5Gb.

You have a problem.

Do you see all of your notes online? 

Can you install another copy of Evernote on another PC and let it sync down your data and try the search there? I think your PC's database is corrupt somehow. My EXB file is over 8GB with over 20,000 notes and search takes less than a minute, usually less than a 5 seconds. I don't understand how your EXB file is so huge and your export is only 200MB short of some corruption in the local database.

If it works find on another PC, log out of Evernote on this PC, delete the EXB file (or rename it), and log back in. and it should repull all data from the cloud.

Waw!

At Ctrl+Help there is "Optimize Database" item. It took about 20 min (also without progress indication, so application was looking like it hanging). But now my *.ENX database file takes only 750Mb on disk. And now search works much faster (10-20 seconds). That is much better.

But anyway, progress indication and cancel action - that is still missing thing in EverNote for Windows. Because when Windows show that application "unresponsive" - that is very user unfriendly.

Also, Ctrl+Help - I did not know about that. So, should be something like "adviser" when bad parformance detected.

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, dmitry_bond said:

how is that possible that such class of problems is not addressed by EverNote?!

As you'll gather from the other replies here - it's not a question of Evernote not addressing "the problem",  the software works pretty well for a huge number of people.  Your issues may be at least partly to do with your installation or your device.

20 minutes ago, gazumped said:

As you'll gather from the other replies here - it's not a question of Evernote not addressing "the problem",  the software works pretty well for a huge number of people.  Your issues may be at least partly to do with your installation or your device.

No, you mistaken.

When Windows show that application "unresponsive" for long time - that is very user unfriendly.
So, this is exactly the usability bug in EverNote!

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Yes, but the developers are idiots I gather from the OP, so, you know.... <_<

20 minutes ago, EdH said:

Yes, but the developers are idiots I gather from the OP, so, you know.... <_<

That is quite interesting that from lot of reasons and explanations you highlighted only one word - "idiots". ;)
I'm not sure if that could be something personal for you... 

Anyway - I apologize for that word and sorry that simple common phrase disturbing you so much.

Please also note that my apologies do not cancel all my complains on missing progress indication for "heavy operations" as well on missing "cancel operation" button in EverNote application.
It is a common rule that to make application userfriendly developers should make UI responsive and providing appropriate feedback&status on current operations.

Archived