Why does the Web App work so much better for code formatting than the Desktop & Android app?!

Protonus

On the WebApp/Browser version of Evernote, I can use a single backtick: ` before and after a snippet to turn it into a code snippet, just like Markdown/Zendesk, etc.  Works great, even inside a bulleted list.

I can also select a block of text, and hit the Code Block button, or use three backticks: ``` before/after the text block, and turn it into a code block, again even if it's inside a bulleted list.

I can't do any of this in the Windows version of Evernote, which is extremely odd to me that the web client is more fully featured and easier to use?!  In the Desktop client, backticks seems to do nothing - they don't trigger any formatting.  I can select a block of text, but I can't turn it into a code block, unless it's NOT in a bulleted list?!  Worst of all, code snippets seem to be ignored in the Windows version - even if they look/work ok in the WebApp interface!

Things are slightly better in the Android app, since at least it does show code snippets I've previously created.

Thus I've uninstalled the desktop version as I can't find any utility in it over the browser version and it's missing these critical features I need.  Which begs the question - why is the far more complicated desktop version of the app, failing to do these simple formatting requests?  Furthermore why is the interface and featureset between all versions of evernote, so different from eachother? Why isn't there just one standard interface and feature set on all platforms!?

So confusing to me.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Protonus said:

Oh and along the same lines - why is my browser version of my notes set to Gotham, but my Desktop version of those same notes, set to Verdana?!  Why isn't the font saved across platforms? 

Got to options and see what the default font is.  On Windows that's Tools - Options - Note.  Also, be sure you have the Gotham font on your desktop.

• 2 months later...
On 6/22/2017 at 8:01 PM, csihilling said:

Got to options and see what the default font is.  On Windows that's Tools - Options - Note.  Also, be sure you have the Gotham font on your desktop.

Got a link to the gotham font?  Kind of weird that Evernote would choose a default font for the web editor that isn't installed in Win10 by default?

The desktop client is set to Verdana by default.  But the browser client keeps on using Gotham by default, ugh.  I just want to use Verdana by default across all platforms.  

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Protonus said:

Got a link to the gotham font?  Kind of weird that Evernote would choose a default font for the web editor that isn't installed in Win10 by default?

The desktop client is set to Verdana by default.  But the browser client keeps on using Gotham by default, ugh.  I just want to use Verdana by default across all platforms.  

Quick search finds this, http://fontsgeek.com/fonts/Gotham-Bold-Regular.  Don't know the rep of the site.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2017 at 10:38 AM, Protonus said:

I just discovered this problem today.  Apparently, it has been this way for a while, but I've not been using Evernote much, I guess.

So I'd like to echo your question .... why on Earth would Evernote choose a default font that isn't on a new Windows 10 or Mac OS X machine?  The default font before was Tahoma, I believe.  That's what mine was, for sure.  That font is available on both platforms by default.  While I could go out and download the Gotham font, I don't want to do that.  There is really no reason to force users to do that.  Plus, sharing notes with people means they also need to have that font.

Evernote, you really need to re-think that decision.  Even navigating part of the web site is not really ugly since that font is used by default in certain places (like settings).

Archived