Is the size of my EN files on my hard drive reasonable?

I have been using EN on a Mac for years and now have about 14K notes. Most are web clippings, PDFs and text files. There are some PP presentations as attachments, but not many. Because of space issues, I looked to see how big my EN files were. There is a primary and a backup on my drive that together weigh in greater than 25GB. Is this excessive? Is there a way to shave this down? Thanks.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, Daderdog said:

I have been using EN on a Mac for years and now have about 14K notes. Most are web clippings, PDFs and text files. There are some PP presentations as attachments, but not many. Because of space issues, I looked to see how big my EN files were. There is a primary and a backup on my drive that together weigh in greater than 25GB. Is this excessive?

My notes export file (backup) is about 8GB compressed
Just checked my database folder and it's 16GB

I have 10k notes, but it really depends on the size of your note attachments
Actual note size is small but large file attachments can take space

>>Is there a way to shave this down?

I use list view on my Mac and can add the size column.
Sorting on this shows me if I have massive notes that could be cleaned up

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Daderdog said:

I have been using EN on a Mac for years and now have about 14K notes. Most are web clippings, PDFs and text files. There are some PP presentations as attachments, but not many. Because of space issues, I looked to see how big my EN files were. There is a primary and a backup on my drive that together weigh in greater than 25GB. Is this excessive?

I have 18K+ Notes and my EN Account folder is 12.63GB.  Most of mine are web clippings, with a fair amount of PDFs, and some Word and Excel files.  No PPT files.  I have ~2300 Notes with PDFs, with the max size being about 55MB, but most being << 10MB.

You state that your primary + backup = 25GB.  So if I assume primary = backup, then that is about 12.5GB for 14K Notes.  Seems reasonable to me.  If you are hurting for disk space, then move the backup to another drive.

There was a ver of EN Mac (2+ years ago) where a bug cause PPT files to use excessive space, like 3X the size of the actual PPT file.  You might double check those Notes with PPT to make sure there is not an issue there.

Archived