barcode scanner

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

I really would like Evernote to be able to scan identify barcode numbers. My use-case:

At work: I have a chemical register where I have to add a security sheet and a product sheet to every chemical product

1. I take a photo or several of the product

2. I mark the barcode in one of them

3. I add whatever documents I need

4. I add all notes to a separate notebook

5. I can sort, find and search for products either by name or barcode.

Compared to your competitor (springpad, I think you have heard of them) it is a far better way of including barcodes in your notes than just try to search for a barcode on the internet. Most of the products I have searched for have not been found.

• 2 months later...
It would be huge to integrate Evernote with a great barcode scanner like RedLaser

Why?

My use case is pretty simple--I have a notebook of books I want to read or buy eventually. Currently I photograph the book cover as the note (I tend to find interesting books while at a bookstore or library browsing around). Would be nice to instead scan the isbn barcode and have the book info populated as the note, even with links to online sources etc.

• Like 1

I, too, would like a bar code scanner. I take pictures of books that I want to read, make a note and link it to the master to read note. Using bar codes would make that easier.

Also, my daughter is a big reader and I can't remember all the books she has read. I could scan each book she reads and add it to her Books Read Note in EN so I can check, while shopping or at the library, as to the status.

It would help with tracking your home inventory. Just scan everything that comes in that is not a consummable. You would have pricing available, product details, etc. You could then add the receipt, manual, a photo of the object, whatever and you'd be ready for the insurance adjuster after a loss. Of course, you'd still have to add old data but what a great way to keep track of all future purchases.

I'm sure there are many more uses. If Evernote is to be a repository for our important data and data we want to easily access and not lose then adding barcode scanner capabilities would be a great addition.

What uses can you think of?

I've brought this up before here, and this topic seems to be low if, nonexistent for future considerations.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=25334

I can think of lots of great uses for a scanner to be part of EN. It's a very attractive feature built into SpringPad, I just don't want to use SP.

I agree, it's a no-brainer that EN is used to keep stuff, all stuff, and barcode scanning to scan stuff and store this stuff's information with all that a bar code has embedded with it, seems like a perfectly logical and pragmatic addition to Evernote. However, I have to use a separate app like ShopSavvy, and take that info and share it to my EN account and use it like I want. I don't understand why EN is so resistant to this option. They advocate for making a folder for gift ideas, but how much better would it be if we could make this idea a richer and more complete experience by scanning it and storing it.

I do it with ShopSavvy (I've tried many bar code scanning apps, and SS is the only one I've found where I can 'share' the scanned info to my Evernote acct) and it's a natural, it just isn't part of EN itself. I recommend it.

• 1 year later...

A barcode scanning ability in Evernote would be a win-win for Evernote and their users. For Evernote, barcode scanning would allow Evernote to offer links to online retailers who offer the product associated with the barcode, and Evernote could insert their own affiliate links into the links. (This is similar to how Pinterest monetizes their website).

For Evernote users, barcode scanning connected to Evernote is brilliant. Many shoppers at physical retailers might see products they like but aren't ready to purchase, and can simply snap pictures of the barcodes via their phone's evernote app, for them to refer back to from the convenience of their home or office computer. This experience is superior to barscanning apps on phones that are only useful for immediate price comparison, but not for saving and referring to later.

A barcode scanned into Evernote could trigger an Evernote plugin that creates a pop-up that appears when the highlighted barcode is clicked, and showing online shopping options for that product. Any barcodes that Evernote recognizes can be highlighted a certain color to indicate that the barcode is recognized and that shopping links are available.

This will give Evernote a great way to monetize even their free users. In fact, Evernote could consider giving free users pro-rated upload credits based on the amount of affiliate revenue they generate for Evernote via their shopping from barcode links. This will incentivize customers to shop via Evernote through which they get Evernote upload credit.

Evernote, you are free to thank me for my brilliant idea!

• 3 months later...

I agree this would be a great feature, maybe somone out there could come up with a barcoding app that would export the barcode, and possibly any information, docuemnts, pics etc, about what the barcode is, like a book title, or picture of the Item to purchase. Either way it would be a very nice feature. I could see many uses for either an app like that, or something integrated directly into EN.

Just my .02 worth.

Yes, that's right. barcode reader plays an important role now. Actually it is the convenience of barcode. We can scan a barcode and then we can read the in formation stored in the barcode. I have created barcode in Java Servlet. At that time I felt amazing, for a small picture can storet that much infro.

• Level 5*

Yes, that's right. barcode reader plays an important role now. Actually it is the convenience of barcode. We can scan a barcode and then we can read the in formation stored in the barcode. I have created barcode in Java Servlet. At that time I felt amazing, for a small picture can storet that much infro.

And what does this have to do with Evernote?
  • 1 year later...

I have no idea of Evernote's development road map, but it seems to me they will not include a bar code scanner, this has nothing to do with note-taking, digital filing, etc. You can use a bar code scanner on your phone (3rd party) & set up automation with IFTTT to get it sent to Evernote.

I'm going to echo the request for a barcode scanner here.

I've used Evernote to jot down notes and lists for years, but I admit I'm not a power user.  I have historically just used it for occasionally saving text cross platform.  Anyhow, I'm also a costumer and I have a GIANT vintage and modern pattern library at home.  One of my fellow costumers pointed me to Springpad about a year ago and told me she was using the barcode feature to scan her patterns for reference and lending.  You have no idea how many times we accidentally buy duplicates - even triplicates of patterns when we are out and catch a garage or estate sale and find a gold mine of cheap patterns.  When you have hundred of patterns in your collection spanning hundreds of years of fashion history, it is easy to forget exactly what you have.  Springpad was BRILLIANT for helping us share and collaborate as well as for saving us from buying extras.  Our entire sewing guild went nuts when we saw this organization feature and jumped right into using it voraciously.

While it is true that I can just photograph the patterns and enter them into the notebook that way (actually I have to do that for the vintage stuff that has no barcodes), the detailed information that comes from a good barcode scan is so much faster, and accurate than my data entry.  It's just overall better.

Since Springpad will be no longer by the end of this month, I think you'll see a large number of new and even old users who liked that functionality and wish Evernote had it.  Frankly, if Evernote had beaten Springpad to the punch with that funtionality, I would have never even opened up yet another app account.  I much prefer things to be all in one place!  A barcode scanner would be the thing that would tip me into a paid premium account.  And I don't think that I am alone.

Barcodes and even QR code can be a really great way to pull in a large amount of information very quickly and make it easily searchable.

As input will need to become much more frequent and quicker we need to find ways to add information with much less input and scanning barcodes is just one example.

I am for having this instantly detected with any photo as it would not add any clutter to the note taking process and simply allow more data to be included in the note.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evernote Power user & creator of IdeaPlaces: A new way to explore and use Evernote

iOS app discussion & beta: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/60737-ideaplaces-a-new-way-to-explore-and-use-evernote/

I've avoided Evernote mainly because it lacks this very useful feature. It's my single biggest use from an note/organization app...the ability to scan products or books I want to remember, for whatever reason (gifts, future purchase, recommendations for friends, etc.) 

If the feature were to be added, I'd probably leap to Evernote, based on its other features. But without the barcode scanner, I don't have a lot of use for it.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old post, but a barcode scanner would be very nice.  My job involves working on systems and we have parts shipped all of the time.  It would be nice to jot down the barcode without hand entering it.  I would totally understand if this was a premium feature, but I would think that this wouldn't involve Evernote on the backend.  I would assume this would be in the app.  Evernote would just get the information from the barcode.

I know there are many QR and barcode scanning apps and assume that the tech wouldn't be that difficult.  (Speaking as a non-coder.  :)  I'm a fan of Evernote and wanted to put my +1 on this topic.  Maybe, integration with Scanalyzer is an idea?

I would also love getting:

1. ISBN's of books to read or enjoy
  2. Barcodes of ingredients for purchase
  3. Grabbing QR codes without them immediately sending me to a page.
    1. I would like to know where it's sending me and save that to Evernote for future research.
  4. Product Numbers that I could throw a picture under for research later.

Thanks!

Jesse

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I am looking for a possibility to scan a barcode and search for an entry existing this barcode in Evernote.

i want to scan a product barcode and search the coresponding product in evernote to add it to a special catergory!

so i can generate special lists

is this possible ?

maybe with some ad on software ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello barcodes and Evernote lovers !

I've created an app to solve this exact problem you're talking about : Barcodes for Evernote.

You can download it on Google Play for free : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.desaxed.barcodesforevernote

As of today, it's only available on Android. However, if you want an iPhone version, please upvote this issue :

Cheers !

Nathan - Desaxed Studios

• 3 months later...

Hi,

i tried NathanVs software it looks very interesting.

works good:

• adding new entries by scanning a barcod
  • finding a already scanned entry with same barcode

goals for future:

• searching an existing entry when scanning a barcode does not work on my device.
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I also would like a quick way to print a qrcode associated to a note.

In this way one can attach the printed qrcode to books, documents, appliances and easily find the notes I have associated to them. 

• 2 years later...

I would like to bring the barcode discussion back to the foreground.
Since the Evernote Legacy version is no longer supported on Android, the great app "BarcodeNotes" is unfortunately no longer available becauseas it does not work with the new Evernote V10 version!!

I have a detailed book list in my Evernote, which I have managed using barcodes so far.

The desired function is:
Scan the barcode in the bookstore with BarcodeNotes and the corresponding record is searched for and displayed in Evernote.

I now started looking for a replacement for this function and found QRBOT
This makes it at least possible to save a barcode in Evernote!

Unfortunately, searching for barcodes that are already in Evernote is complicated!!
You first have to scan the barcode with QRBot, which inserts the code into the clipboard and then you can paste the text in Evernote into the search field via the clipboard.

A direct scan and search option in Evernote would be much more practical here!
But maybe a miracle will happen and Evernote will add it 😉

• Level 5
On 3/8/2024 at 3:45 PM, pbelcl said:

But maybe a miracle will happen and Evernote will add it 😉

I doubt there is any chance. This thread is nearly dead, the timeline shows single postings every 2-4 years.

You can send your proposal at this mail address. Explain why you want it, and which advantage it could create.

• Like 2

Thanks @PinkElephant for this hint!
I send this Mail: -> maybe all of Users read this thread should do also 😉

Dear Evernote team,

I have been a very satisfied customer with you for over 10 years.

I managed a very large product list (books and other things) via barcodes in my Evernote.
With a small additional software called „BarcodeNote“, I have been able to manage these books excellently so far!

That was also the reason why I still used the "legacy" version of evernote until now, because I have managed almost 2000 barcodes in my Evernote!!
Unfortunately, I now have to switch to the new version 10 by the end of March and with the update to the new Evernote version, the small add-on Barcodenotes will no longer be developed further.
So a function that is very important to me simply disappears overnight!!!

The use case is as follows:

1. I go to a bookstore and scan the barcode there.
    Until now, the small add-on has searched for this barcode directly in Evernote and displayed this data record in Evernote.

2. If the barcode was not found then the tool asked whether the product should be created in Evernote and added it to a new Evernote entry with the barcode as a number!

Unfortunately, both functions are no longer available and I would be very happy if at least scanning and searching for a barcode were possible directly in Evernote!!

Please add this feature to your wish list!!

Great respect for your great program and thank you for your support

• Like 1