Grammar checker not working at all?

The spelling checker is on but it doesn't work, at all. I tried it with all sorts of incorrectly typed out words, sentences but the result is the same - nothing happens. Also tried disabling "Check spelling as you type" and do a manual check by using the hotkey "F7", no luck. I don't know if this is only for me, but this is an essential feature and this is the main reason why I'm currently debating whether I should move to Onenote.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Has spell checker ever worked for you?  If so,  any idea when that changed and what else happened around the same time?  Any Windows or  Evernote updates recently?  What versions of Windows and Evernote are you using?

If spell checker hasn't ever worked,  is this a new install of Evernote?

• Level 5*

Different settings apply to each one of those clients,  but we're in the Windows forums so I'll deal with that one here - my spell checker is working fine on both installed and browser clients.  The Language section in Tools > Options contains the only settings (that I'm aware of) for the installed client and if spell check is switched on and set to the correct language,  you should certainly be seeing red highlights under any unusual words.  The browser version doesn't have individual settings as such and (I think) relies on the browser editor for spell checking - as probably does this forum.  Certainly the highlighted results on my test phrase are slightly different.

If your installed app settings are correct,  the options would appear to be either 1) an app fault or 2) some sort of display problem.  The fact that the web app also has a problem would seem to indicate the display.  To eliminate all possibilities though,  the best thing to start with is probably to uninstall and reinstall Evernote.

1. Solely as a precaution,  check Tools > Options > General to open the Databases folder,  and then File > Exit Evernote.  Copy your databases folder to your desktop.  (It's a good idea to backup your database regularly anyway...)
  2. Then use Control Panel to uninstall Evernote,  and restart your computer.
  3. Restart,  go to Evernote.com,  download and reinstall Evernote.
  4. Log in again with your existing user name and password

Elapsed time about 10 minutes.

If,  after that,  your spell check is still not working then I'd suspect some sort of display issue - do you have any technical help you can consult?

• 11 months later...
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, MattFitz said:

Serious? I have to reinstall Evernote to get my spell check to work? That's pretty dodgy..

Seems to be working for me with the beta 6.13.2 on Win 10. Also note that you're replying to a conversation that's about a year old. Are you having problems with the spell checker?

Archived