Feature suggestion: Auto-show notebooks in list when published

mcrogle

Idea

I would like to request a feature.  When a notebook is published to a company, that notebook would be shown in everyone's list as a "New Notebooks" area and people could just drag them into whatever stack is appropriate.  

When a company has a large number of notebooks created on a daily basis (like there is a notebook for each client), trying to add notebooks to their list each day can take a large amount of time while they wait for each notebook to sync as it is loaded to their list.  I am finding that this is a limitation for companies that deal with a lot of notebooks and is often keeping them from using Evernote business.  

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Difficult though if you're setting up notebooks meant for a small team and not everyone - there would have to be selective notifications throughout the company for each team and level of access...

• Level 5*
On 2017-06-16 at 4:36 PM, mcrogle said:

When a notebook is published to a company, that notebook would be shown in everyone's list as a "New Notebooks" area and people could just drag them into whatever stack is appropriate.  

fwiw   All my notebooks are in stacks; all my tags are in a hierarchy under a parent

This way, any new notebooks/tags are clearly identified as needing to be organized

@gazumped  In the case of small teams, why would you want to publish to the whole company?  I would just share the notebook with the members of the team.  

What I am looking for here is to avoid the step where each person has to go into the business summary area and add the notebooks to their list.  I have a client who uses EN business and he keeps a notebook for each of his prospects/clients.  He is an insurance agent so he gets 10-20 new prospects/clients a day.   It is becoming quite time-consuming for him to go into the summary page each day and add the notebooks to his list.  

Since each of the notebooks is published to the whole company, it would seem easier to have them automatically show in your list and you remove them if you don't need them, rather than the other way around.  

@DTLow  Even with everything in stacks, for this client, because the new notebooks are by client name, they show up all over his list due to the alphabetizing.  When there are 20 new notebooks added each day, it can be hard to find the new notebooks within the list.  

Thanks guys for the suggestions.  I am really looking for this to be an option for a business to turn on or off.  I realize it might not work for every business, but there is a huge market out there of people who have client based businesses and I think it could be a great feature to have the notebooks automatically added to the list if you wanted them to be.  I am finding as I work with business clients that there are a lot of manual things that could be designed in a more automatic way.  

On a different note, do you know if Zapier or IFTTT would work to perform this function since it is not an EN feature?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, mcrogle said:

On a different note, do you know if Zapier or IFTTT would work to perform this function since it is not an EN feature?

I doubt either can help - they connect input and output activity to the Evernote database, but I don't see them effectively changing Evernote settings for items already there.*

Doing the genie invoke thing again,  it might be worth talking to @phils Phil Seeman who develops things like SureNotifier which alerts you to changes in the account..

..I appreciate that's not what you're looking for,  but it's maybe a short step from spotting changes to doing something with them...  maybe.  :)

*Edit:  couldn't hurt to ask them though...

• Level 5*
On 6/20/2017 at 1:28 PM, gazumped said:

Doing the genie invoke thing again,

Hahaha.

@mcrogle What you're asking for can definitely be done with a custom application, and we could provide it for you. It's a little involved in that it requires setting up a server process which is constantly monitoring the account for new business notebooks, and when it finds one, it automatically adds it to all business user accounts.  I actually already have that exact code from another custom solution we created for a client - the code itself is straightforward, it's just the setting up and maintenance of the server process that makes it a little more involved (we happen to use Microsoft Azure to run our server-side processes for our custom Evernote solutions). If you're interested (perhaps your clients would be wiling to pay for it :)), PM me and I'm happy to talk further.

Archived