A text expander that can add a table in Evernote?

Hello.  I have a sort of index at the top of all my Evernote pages that allows me to navigate between various "landing pages" -- tables of contents linking to other notes.  It looks like this. Each item links either to another note or to a website.

Since I paste it at the top of every page, it would be very useful if I could have a shortcut for it in a text expander. Does anyone know of a text expander that would support this? It's a simple, single-row Evernote table with background color and links.

My impression was that Typinator could retain the links, but not the table format. But maybe I'm wrong. Keyboard Maestro, maybe? Does anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks very much in advance.

Michael 

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Caladrio said:

Does anyone know of a text expander that would support this? It's a simple, single-row Evernote table with background color and links.

My solution would be scripting (Mac AppleScript)

I already use a script to select a template for new notes.

Applescript can copy your table from a template
A limitation is that it can only append the to a note; it can't insert into the note

I also use Fastscripts so my scripts are launched with a keyboard shortcut

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Caladrio said:

My impression was that Typinator could retain the links, but not the table format. But maybe I'm wrong. Keyboard Maestro, maybe? Does anybody have any experience with this?

Yep, you're right.  Keyboard Maestro  can retain the table format using its saved Named Clipboards.  So you just copy the table in Evernote and paste it into a KM Named Clipboard.  Then paste from the Named clipboard when you fire a KM trigger.  Works great.

Thanks very much to both of you. I am as yet unversed in AppleScript, but looking at yours as an example may be just the spark I needed, DTLow.  

But as a fix that's not dependent on my as yet nonexistent skill with that, Keyboard Maestro sounds to be just the thing.  So thanks very much, JMichaelTX! 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Caladrio said:

But as a fix that's not dependent on my as yet nonexistent skill with that, Keyboard Maestro sounds to be just the thing.  So thanks very much, JMichaelTX! 

To help get you started, here is my simple KM Macro that pastes from a KM Named Clipboard:

2017-06-16_17-00-10.png.0ac04ad7807c5ec75494a488c9b402f3.png

And here is the result in Evernote Mac:

5944555f3fde1_2017-06-16_17-00-08(1).png.9c204e9505f29870e035b445bf098185.png

As you can see, it retains a nicely formatted table that even includes real EN checkboxes.

If you need any help with KM, please visit the KM Forum, where we have a great bunch of friendly and talented KM Users, as well as the KM developer, who are always ready to help.

Archived