How do I revert the Evernote to single-spaced paragraphs?

If I scrape, copy and paste into a note (not using the web clipper), En promptly increases the spacing between paragraphs for the rest of the note. Changing all the text to 10 points doesn't change that spacing back to single-space. Nor does Simplify Formatting and/or Remove Formatting.

I find that really, really, really irritating.

Any advice?

Edited by TdeV
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, TdeV said:

If I scrape, copy and paste into a note (not using the web clipper), En promptly increases the spacing between paragraphs for the rest of the note. Changing all the text to 10 points doesn't change that spacing back to single-space. Nor does Simplify Formatting and/or Remove Formatting.

Any advice?

Does highlighting the text and selecting Simplify or Remove formatting help?

• Level 5*

Hi. Can you explain more where you're copying from? My Win 10 setup works fine with web pages and various document formats,  and when (with web copies) I turn out to have included some code that affects the content of my note,  a 'remove formatting' usually fixes it.

Purely as a test,  if you open Notepad and paste into that first,  then re-copy and paste into your note,  does that cure the line spacing?

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, TdeV said:

No, doesn't make any difference.

My bad, I just noticed you included that info in the OP.  Yeah, copy/paste is a bit of a hot mess, particularly with Chrome.  Have you tried FireFox?  

Below is a clip of the web page, the EN note when copy/pasted from Chrome and the EN note when copy/pasted from FF.  FF wins for what you are looking to do. methinks.

web.png.c2f25b5961249abc079fe2ef12c29ae3.png

Chrome.png.78bd5dc6ae298a3709b5dd66995f2ac7.png

ScreenClip.png.587a519986832f29e68551a644a870c7.png

In my Evernote, I don't have spaces between paragraphs which, you will notice, exist in all of @csihilling's sample posts. In the old days, this would have been called leading.

@gazumped: Yes. Pasting into notepad first removes all that formatting junk. But it seems unnecessarily convoluted.

Mostly I use Firefox for all my exploring; I don't like the way Chrome and Evernote work together. ;) I'm in Win 7/64 with most modern Firefox.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, TdeV said:

In my Evernote, I don't have spaces between paragraphs which, you will notice, exist in all of @csihilling's sample posts. In the old days, this would have been called leading.

Yeah, this is what FF looks like after remove formatting, paragraphs are gone.  But I'm beginning to think I don't exactly get the issue....

ScreenClip.png.5cfced64c64c3dcde3c05e6f16790e6d.png

• Level 5*
Just now, TdeV said:

@csihilling,

Single spaced

With "extra" leading.

Okay, for everything below where you paste the web text?  Don't know what to say to that.  Never have pasted into the middle of a note from the web.  Good chance this is related to the new editor changes, so you could post a bug report there.  :(

• Level 5*

If you highlight the paste and put it in a code block, Ctrl-Shift-L, does the rest of the note go back to normal?  Or create a code block before paste to see if that prevents it, enter a couple of spaces and code block those.  You get a cool little box with your paste this way.  ;)

But still why not just have it paste in like it looks!!!  Argggh.  And leave the rest of the note alone.

ScreenClip.png.6c6abf3b61a3b11597bfac97d17aa3cb.png

Here is a sample of the problem. I began this note by typing directly into the note. You'll notice that I structure documents like someone who has been editing and publishing paper documents for many years, i.e. the heading is attached to the text for which it is the header.

It is easy to delineate Heading1, link1, and Body1 (bulleted list, new para).

The pasted text is
Title2: Finally, A Cable That . . .
Link2: popular mechanics . . .
Text2: Feb 29, 2016 . . .
Title3: How USB Charging Works . . .
Link3: extremetech.com
Test3: Apr 19, 2017
etc.

For me, I'm going to have to reprocess this document every time I reference it because it does not organize the data I'm looking at. I'm going to have to figure out what every single line in the note means because each entity is surrounded by equal space.

Note that there are no extra lines (CR) between paragraphs in the pasted text.

@csihilling, Yes, Ctrl-Shift-L does convert the data to monospaced text (without arbitrary space above and below) and adds a line between each paragraph. I am able to delete the excess lines. However, using Ctrl-Shift-L a second time gets rid of the code block but leaves the entire text blue. Which I would have to remove. This seems a cumbersome and ineffective workaround.

I'll report this to support. And let you know what happens.

Capture161.thumb.JPG.2c895a8ec3c6d4ca349ef0d199f37c7c.JPG

Edited by TdeV
Clarity
  • Level 5*
43 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Note that there are no spaces between paragraphs in the pasted text.

@csihilling, Yes, Ctrl-Shift-L does convert the links to monospaced text and adds a space between each line. I am able to delete the excess lines. However, using Ctrl-Shift-L a second time gets rid of the code block but leaves the entire text blue. Which seems a cumbersome and ineffective workaround.

Got it, thanks for the visual.  Weird, Ctrl-Shift-L a second time leaves plain colored text for me.  Anyhow, hope support comes up with something for you.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

My problem arose when I pasted a copy-select from an external FORMATTED source into the top of a plain note. I decided against the imported format and deleted it, but the 20-pt bold-formatted blank line remained at the top of the note.  Multiple times I tried the various excellent solutions listed above, but none of them worked for me.  Every attempt left a Tahoma 20-point line at the top which included bold type.  I gave up.  Beginning with the first correctly-formatted line near the top, I copied the entire remaining GOOD text all the way to the bottom of the note and pasted it into a NEW note.  Works okay. No unwanted formatting.

This remains a frustrating defect in Evernote.  I love Evernote.  Please fix the problem.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 10/27/2017 at 11:06 AM, Kei Ishida said:

I was able to resolve this issue by using the Simplify Formatting command (Format > Simplify Formatting). The shortcut is CTRL+Spacebar in the Windows version.

Doesn't work for me.

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎15 at 7:18 PM, CalS said:

Yeah, copy/paste is a bit of a hot mess, particularly with Chrome.  

Frankly, cloud based/web client based technology is a hot mess.  I'm dismayed to see the world heading this way.  Web tools pretty much suck in general. Supposedly HTML 5 was supposed to mitigate a lot of this, but most software still disclaimers to the big 3, and sometimes 4.  Still, even with them results are highly varied; while EN may have some blame to bear here I'm often biased towards blaming the dysfunction of the source technology.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
On 6/17/2019 at 2:33 PM, Bailey Nicholls said:

I copied the text to MS Word used the edit to no spacing and then copied it back to Evernote with no spacing.  That seemed to work.  

This seems unnecessarily labour intensive.

• Thanks 1
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Can confirm what is suggested by April Evernote doesn't work (as everyone else has already said in this post).

There is a function that will fix the problem though. When pasting in, do not use Ctrl + V.

Use Ctrl + Shift+ V to paste

This will remove the whitespace between lines.

• 6 months later...
On 6/16/2017 at 1:48 AM, TdeV said:

Any advice?

The same problem iam facing.tooooooooo irritating killing all my time in editing the useless mononous job.finally thinking to give up Evernote .any other better app for making good note.evernote unnecessarily  complicated with limited options.

On 2/9/2020 at 5:53 AM, April Evernote said:

To remove imbedded spacing after copying/pasting into a note:

1. Highlight all the text you want single spaced.
  2. In the top Evernote menu bar go to Format - Simplify Formatting or Make Plain Text. Both work.
  3. Done!

Sorry this never work for window pc

• Like 1
On 9/9/2020 at 6:00 PM, Crispy314 said:

Can confirm what is suggested by April Evernote doesn't work (as everyone else has already said in this post).

There is a function that will fix the problem though. When pasting in, do not use Ctrl + V.

Use Ctrl + Shift+ V to paste

This will remove the whitespace between lines.

But with this all table and paragraphs got distorted,bold and highlights will vanished .i have tried this many time.its totally not useful.i wonder what is wrong with Evernote team when I came to know that this problem persist since 2017 till now.

• Level 5*
On 4/2/2021 at 9:59 AM, Ajhk said:

this problem persist since 2017 till now.

If you're using the new v10,  this software didn't exist before 6 months ago.  The problem with spacing lies with any 'invisible' style code characters you may have copied with the text.  Evernote's markup language interprets HTML so if an original paragraph is double-spaced it'll copy that way,  regardless of what Evernote style is applied afterward.  The only way to get rid of the formatting is to copy plain text (hence the Ctrl-Alt-V suggestion above) or to copy into something like Notepad++ where you can edit out 'control' characters and then copy paste back into Evernote.