tag sorting

actant

Idea

I use number prefix helping organize huge amount of tags. Before v.4, it worked great. With v.6, it seems that good days are gone.

Do anybody know whether there is any way to restore v.4 tag sorting? Tons of thanks!

In EN v.4 desktop and EN web, sorting tags was like this (Good):

In EN version 6, sorting tags is like this (Bad):

19 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, actant said:

Microsoft is not the golden standard for everything

Agreed,  but it is at least consistent for Windows users to have the same experience in OS and dependent apps...

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, actant said:

If the parent tags exceed 10, simply prefix them with double-digit numbers. If exceding 100, then 3-digit numbers.

01 - Food

011 - Fruit

0111 - Apple

I'm still against numeric prefixing, but I wouldn't want to have to go back and rename tags.  I'd use the double digit convention from the beginning

btw  In conventional organization, 011 is not a sub of 01
        More standard is  01 > 01.1 > 01.1.1
        Not sure how this gets reflected in the new numeric sorting

12 hours ago, gustavgi said:

What I meant was, what do you do when the parent tags exceed 10? What number do you give Fruit and wouldn't the Apple tag and the Beach houses tag have the same prefix?

If the parent tags exceed 10, simply prefix them with double-digit numbers. If exceding 100, then 3-digit numbers.

01 - Food

011 - Fruit

0111 - Apple

10 - Sleep

11 - House

111 - Beach houses

You need to clearly define the members of the top level tag first. Then it's possible to assign prefixing numbers correctly.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, actant said:

Good question!

Simply like this:

1 - Food

11 - Fruit

112 - Apple

12 - Meat

122 - Beef

18 - Dessert

19 - Other

191 - Drink

1911 - Coca

Or:

1 - Food

101 - Fruit

1012 - Apple

102 - Meat

1022 - Beef

109 - Dessert

110 - Drink

1101 - Coca

What I meant was, what do you do when the parent tags exceed 10? What number do you give Fruit and wouldn't the Apple tag and the Beach houses tag have the same prefix?

1 - Food

XX - Fruit

XXX - Apple

XX - Meat

XXX - Beef

XX - Dessert

XX - Other

XXX - Drink

XXXX - Coca

10 - Sleep
11 - Houses

XXX - Beach houses

2 - Cars
3 - YYY
4 - YYY
5 - YYY
6 - YYY
7 - YYY
8 - YYY
9 - YYY

38 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'd suggest prefixing tagnames instead of numbers.
For example   Food_Fruit_Apple              instead of    1012 - Apple
                       Food_Other_Drink_Coca  
 instead of    1911 - Coca

Number is better for two reasons:

1. being brief

2. controlled sorting

• Level 5*
On 2017-06-10 at 8:09 AM, actant said:

Since EN does not export nested tree of tags, the number prefix would help rebuilding the tag tree quickly after reimporting an .exex file. Sorting tags by numerical order simply destroys the workflow.

The only solution seems to be something like: 1.2.2 - Beef. Then the tag name looks messy. 

Thats an innovative solution to missing tag hierarchy
You mentioned rebuilding the tag tree, but I'm also faced with no hierarchy in various places/platforms

I'd suggest prefixing tagnames instead of numbers.
For example   Food_Fruit_Apple              instead of    1012 - Apple
                       Food_Other_Drink_Coca  
 instead of    1911 - Coca

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, actant said:

To have the same experience in Windows, OneNote is the best choice

I suspect tag sorting is a complete fail in OneNote  :)

10 hours ago, gazumped said:

Agreed,  but it is at least consistent for Windows users to have the same experience in OS and dependent apps...

To have the same experience in Windows, OneNote is the best choice and Evernote should not have been born.

10 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

What do you do when the top parent tags reach 11 and further, when that number is already used by a child tag under the 1 parent tag?

Good question!

Simply like this:

1 - Food

11 - Fruit

112 - Apple

12 - Meat

122 - Beef

18 - Dessert

19 - Other

191 - Drink

1911 - Coca

Or:

1 - Food

101 - Fruit

1012 - Apple

102 - Meat

1022 - Beef

109 - Dessert

110 - Drink

1101 - Coca

• Level 5*
On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎10 at 5:09 PM, actant said:

Thanks for your reply!

I use number as prefix for tag names. For example: 

1 - Food

11 - Fruit

112 - Apple

12 - Meat

122 - Beef

Since EN does not export nested tree of tags, the number prefix would help rebuilding the tag tree quickly after reimporting an .exex file. Sorting tags by numerical order simply destroys the workflow.

The only solution seems to be something like: 1.2.2 - Beef. Then the tag name looks messy. 

What do you do when the top parent tags reach 11 and further, when that number is already used by a child tag under the 1 parent tag?

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

Not sure what 'more professionally' means here - this is the way that Windows handles sorting,  so Evernote is in line with the OS.

Microsoft is not the golden standard for everything. That's why many people choose EN, not OneNote, and also why many people choose MacOS, not Windows.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, actant said:

Tag is an important part of the subject index system of notes. Alphabetic order should be a more professional choice. I can't see any reason other than easy coding for making tags "consistent with how you see things" with Windows Explorer.

Not sure what 'more professionally' means here - this is the way that Windows handles sorting,  so Evernote is in line with the OS.

16 hours ago, dconnet said:

A few years ago we changed to using the Windows APIs that Explorer uses so our sorting would be consistent with how you see things there.

Tag is an important part of the subject index system of notes. Alphabetic order should be a more professional choice. I can't see any reason other than easy coding for making tags "consistent with how you see things" with Windows Explorer.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dconnet said:

A few years ago we changed to using the Windows APIs that Explorer uses so our sorting would be consistent with how you see things there.

Thanks for responding on this.

Will this numeric sort sequence remain a Windows thing, or is it being rolled out to other platforms?

15 hours ago, gazumped said:

Thanks for the confirmation.

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Looks like the tags get sorted into 'proper' numerical order instead of pure alphabetic.  Have you thought of nesting tags as an option?  If you had a parent tag "1" to keep all the child "1xx" tags together?  If you use a lot of numeric tags it's a way to shorten the listings too.

Whatever the bug/ change it's not likely to be reversed or made optional especially quickly so you may have to change the way you work for a short while.

Plus.  How are you choosing tags?  If you use the 'Add tag' dialogue,  typing the first character '1' will list out the available 1xx tags;  Ctrl+Alt+T gives you headings for groups of tags and again a search box to find tags starting with or containing...<initial search string>

Thanks for your reply!

I use number as prefix for tag names. For example: 

1 - Food

11 - Fruit

112 - Apple

12 - Meat

122 - Beef

• Level 5*

Looks like the tags get sorted into 'proper' numerical order instead of pure alphabetic.  Have you thought of nesting tags as an option?  If you had a parent tag "1" to keep all the child "1xx" tags together?  If you use a lot of numeric tags it's a way to shorten the listings too.

Whatever the bug/ change it's not likely to be reversed or made optional especially quickly so you may have to change the way you work for a short while.

Plus.  How are you choosing tags?  If you use the 'Add tag' dialogue,  typing the first character '1' will list out the available 1xx tags;  Ctrl+Alt+T gives you headings for groups of tags and again a search box to find tags starting with or containing...<initial search string>

Archived