Missing note following indexing

A really important note disappeared yesterday. The disappearance seemed to follow a couple of failed attempts to Sync by the Mac app, then an "indexing" process began that sent me right back in time in Notes view. I haven't noticed any other missing notes as yet.

It might be relevant that this same note -- one that I use more than any other -- had for some time not been appearing in the mobile app in either Notes or searches that ought to have found it, even though it was behaving normally in the Mac app. Clearly that should have sounded alarm bells.

I've been through the steps in Support. I have found an older version of the note in Trash, but unfortunately four months' worth of changes mean this is scant consolation. I am not a Premium user hence no Note History.

I'm clinging to the hope that a note I was using quite happily only 24 hours ago can't be that hard to retrieve. Fingers crossed.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, whatlofi said:

A really important note disappeared yesterday.

Generally, notes don't "disappear"

To bypass any device problems, I'd check the master version of my notes on the Evernote servers
These can be viewed using the web platform at www.evernote.com

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, whatlofi said:

I have tried the web version too and the experience is the same as the desktop app: the four-months-old version I found in Trash is visible but that's it. What's next?

With no other backups, I'd recommend the Note History feature.  You can subscribe to premium  for a single month.

>>It might be relevant that this same note -- one that I use more than any other -- had for some time not been appearing in the mobile app in either Notes or searches that ought to have found it, even though it was behaving normally in the Mac app.

I'd be concerned about this because it indicates the note wasn't syncing anywhere.  Any chance you had it assigned to a Local Notebook

I have upgraded to Premium. Note History looks like a great feature. But I'm not sure how I use to find a missing Note, as it seems that you need to be within a Note in order to hit "i" and access Note History. Is there another way in that allows you to search all historical instances of all Notes?

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, whatlofi said:

I have upgraded to Premium. Note History looks like a great feature. But I'm not sure how I use to find a missing Note, as it seems that you need to be within a Note in order to hit "i" and access Note History. Is there another way in that allows you to search all historical instances of all Notes?

This is a deficiency with the Note History feature.  If notes have been deleted&expuged, the Note History can no longer be accessed.

Its a good reason for never emptying your trash; the Note History will always be available

I also maintain my own version history with my personal backups.  Each night, a script exports all changed notes to a backup folder

A point of clarification about note versions
Each note has a unique id.  You can see this in the note link  evernote:///view/ ... /3f98b381-4568-4eb9-8e4c-b388d2bd4a2c/
If your "versions" have different ids, they are not the same note, and will not have the same history

Many thanks for the continued help. Given that an earlier version of the missing Note ended up in Trash in February, but that the updated version continued to be live in my Mac app (if not the iOS app) until last week, can you think of anywhere where the four-month-old "phantom" version of the Note may now be lurking?