Flash Cards

CompoundLearning

Idea

25 replies to this idea

Vote up for this idea. Evernote discontinued its own software Peek in 2012 saying we can use StudyBlue. But this StudyBlue just closed its connection with Evernote in June, 2017. So what can we do to turn our massive notes to flash cards and review / remember them from time to time.

I will be very disappointed if no such function provided in the near future (around half a year), and maybe I will stop pay anymore and eventually export my notes other where instead.

• Level 5*
On 2017-07-27 at 오후 9시 20분, iShiBin said:

So what can we do to turn our massive notes to flash cards and review / remember them from time to time.

I’d look at scripting to “browse through notes at random”
I could do it with Applescript on my Mac

Using Applescript, it’s easy to retrieve notes matching a tag
Example    set noteList to find notes "tag:!Type-Templates"

A random number can be generated and used to retrieve notes at random

The script can speak and display a dialog of the note title597acbb081670_ScreenShot2017-07-27at22_27_43.png.834ea3b6e98b8174403cea7ff250e382.png
           say title of theNote  
           display dialog
 title of theNote
and then follow up with the note contents

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I’d look at scripting to “browse through notes at random”

Well, my requirement is to review the flash cards in a space repetition like every 1,2,7,30 days etc...

It is a little bit different but how did you do it using apple script?

Learning the space repetition technique, I would like to implement it in my productivity system. Currently, I used the tag + Finder( sorted by file created date) in my macOS.

Do you know the space repetition, and how do you implement it if you do know?

• Level 5*
On 2017-07-27 at 오후 9시 44분, iShiBin said:

Do you know the space repetition, and how do you implement it if you do know?

My understanding of space repetition applied in Evernote is

• There are Notes you want to review every “n” minutes.  
  • After you master that, you switch the review period to “n” days/months/years

A simple solution is to set up tags for the review period and assign them to the notes. Switch the tag to change the review period
- For the "n" minute review, retrieve all notes for that tag(s)
- For the daily review, retrieve all notes for that tag(s)
- For the weekly review, retrieve all notes for that tag(s)

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

A simple solution is to set up tags for the review period and assign them to the notes.

I am reviewing on an interval basis saying every 1,2,3,9,27 days for my notes with 'reflect' tag. Your way may not meet this requirement. So I created some saved search to achieve this, which is easy to setup and practical.

Here is one example of my saved searches:

• tag:"reflect" created:day-9 -created:day-8 -tag:"mastered"

So this is for the noted 9 days ago. I can create other similar saved searches for other days. Here is how it works:

1. Tag notes with 'reflect' flag on its creation if I decide to space repeat it
  2. Open all these saved searches and review them on daily basis
  3. Tag it with "mastered" when I master this notes so that it won't show in my further review

One benefit of the system is dynamic: it follows this flow when the day comes to review a note, and no need further manual actions. How do you think of this approach?

On 7/28/2017 at 0:39 PM, DTLow said:

I could do it with Applescript on my Mac

I would like to learn using apple scripts to develop some specific features. I guess the Evernote developer forum to the right place to go. Do you have some recommend websites/books to learn this?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, iShiBin said:

I would like to learn using apple scripts to develop some specific features. I guess the Evernote developer forum to the right place to go. Do you have some recommend websites/books to learn this?

The Developers forum or Mac forums would be a better place to discuss Applescript

Here is a sample script597d2cbf7dda9_ScreenShot2017-07-29at17_46_50.png.295524726fadc82291e31c2bbb69415a.png
HelloWorld.scpt
Download it to your Mac
Open the file to launch the script editor app
Click the run button 597d2d1197f6b_ScreenShot2017-07-29at17_49_02.png.b83cb060fbcfb951c20de81793754fd2.png to run the script

Specific documentation for Evernote is at https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/applescript.php

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 7/29/2017 at 5:20 PM, iShiBin said:

I am reviewing on an interval basis saying every 1,2,3,9,27 days for my notes with 'reflect' tag.

How do you identify the review interval (1,2,3,9,27) for a note?

My concept is tags for each interval   Reflect001, Reflect002, Reflect003, Reflect009, Reflect027

>>I created some saved search to achieve this, which is easy to setup and practical.  Here is one example of my saved searches: 
tag:"reflect" created:day-9 -created:day-8 -tag:"mastered"

created:day-9 -created:day-8 retrieves notes created on a single date 9 days ago
It excludes notes created previously from the review!!!

I prefer to use Modification Date instead of Creation Date.  
By updating the note during a review the date is updated, providing a record of the last review date
- this could be simply adding a space to the note

My concept for searches is

• tag:Reflect001 -updated:day
  • tag:Reflect002 -updated:day-1
  • tag:Reflect003 -updated:day-2
  • tag:Reflect009 -updated:day-8
  • tag:Reflect027 -updated:day-26

edit: revised to a single search; notes at  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/82427-spaced-repetition-with-evernote/?do=findComment&comment=524681

>>Tag it with "mastered" when I master this notes so that it won't show in my further review

After mastering a review interval, I move the note to a longer review interval;
for example from 9 days  to 27 days

My concept is to change the tag, for example from Review009 to Review027

8 hours ago, DTLow said:

The Developers forum or Mac forums would be a better place to discuss Applescript

Here is a sample script597d2cbf7dda9_ScreenShot2017-07-29at17_46_50.png.295524726fadc82291e31c2bbb69415a.png
HelloWorld.scpt
Download it to your Mac
Open the file to launch the script editor app
Click the run button 597d2d1197f6b_ScreenShot2017-07-29at17_49_02.png.b83cb060fbcfb951c20de81793754fd2.png to run the script

Specific documentation for Evernote is at https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/applescript.php

I tried it and it is great. (i even tell mac to say my name :) )

I even run some sample in the link your provided - https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/applescript.php, and that is interesting. I think I can do more in mac using this script not only for Evernote. I decide to learn this script from the Apple Developers Forum.

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

How do you identify the review interval (1,2,3,9,27) for a note?

For example, I have a note going to my space repetition circle today on 2017-07-30, so I tag this note with 'reflect'. Then, this note will in my saved search result day1 (tag:"reflect" created:day-9 -created:day-8 -tag:"mastered"), which is the first time I review this note; then tomorrow on 2017-07-31, I will review it again since it is my saved search result day2 (tag:"reflect" created:day-2 -created:day-1 -tag:"mastered"); it will go like this and so on.

The last time review will happen when I check the saved search day27 (tag:"reflect" created:day-27 -created:day-26 -tag:"mastered").

So you see, this is very dynamic since I check all these 5 saved searches every day to make sure I review all notes.

In fact, I can combine the first 3 saved searches together to tag:"reflect" created:day-3 -tag:"mastered" to reduce the saved search numbers from 5 to 3.

8 hours ago, DTLow said:

My concept is to change the tag, for example from Review009 to Review027

I think changing the tag is not very convenient comparing with my dynamic saved search way since it is one time setup.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, iShiBin said:

For example, I have a note going to my space repetition circle today on 2017-07-30, so I tag this note with 'reflect'.

How about multiple notes; I currently have 10.

They are on different review intervals; some I just started learning

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, CompoundLearning said:

Thanks guys but too complicated.  I just want Evernote to code a button.  Should be simple.

I think Evernote gave an indication of their direction when they discontinued support for the Peek function.  They are not interested in this specific function and we have to work with the product features

Simple is a “Review” tag

It gets complicated when you add in

• Flash Card type display
  • Random
  • Spaced Repitition

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, iShiBin said:

i even tell mac to say my name :)

As my wake up alarm, my Mac recites the poem “There Will Come Soft Rains” (homage to Ray Bradbury)

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

How about multiple notes; I currently have 10.

They are on different review intervals; some I just started learning

I don't like duplicates since it will cause problem if I occasionally want to update it a little bit.

I am so tired to find a proper software to implement this Flash Card + Space Repetition. I have been looking for and compared many of them - Anki, Reflect and Nimblenotes but unfortunately, none of which was proper for me.

So I may go back to this very initiative way by creating proper notes and practice it in Evernote and no where else. No tool is perfect but we need to practice and make it better and better.

Thanks for all your replies and let's call it a day :)

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I think Evernote gave an indication of their direction when they discontinued support for the Peek function.  They are not interested in this specific function and we have to work with the product features

Totally agree with you!!!

2 hours ago, CompoundLearning said:

Thanks guys but too complicated.  I just want Evernote to code a button.  Should be simple.

Maybe you can try the Card View and Expanded Card View mode. It is not exactly a flash card but maybe you can use it as it it.

To remind myself of important notes that I have forgotten about, I use an Evernote app for the iPad called Crusoe.  Personally, I don't find much utility in a feature that would randomly put on one of my notes in front of me. The odds that one note out of my 10,047 notes will randomly be of interest to me at a given time is slim.  What Crusoe does is show me notes that I haven't looked up but which have an important connection with the note(s) I'm looking at.  

When you save a note into Evernote, Crusoe lets you build a two-way connection at the tap of your finger to another note (on the iPad).  If you do that with everything you save, you quickly build these long trains of thought that you can navigate later on.

YOu can see what it looks like here: Crusoe.co

16 hours ago, Rocket J. Squirrel said:

To remind myself of important notes that I have forgotten about, I use an Evernote app for the iPad called Crusoe.  Personally, I don't find much utility in a feature that would randomly put on one of my notes in front of me. The odds that one note out of my 10,047 notes will randomly be of interest to me at a given time is slim.  What Crusoe does is show me notes that I haven't looked up but which have an important connection with the note(s) I'm looking at.  

When you save a note into Evernote, Crusoe lets you build a two-way connection at the tap of your finger to another note (on the iPad).  If you do that with everything you save, you quickly build these long trains of thought that you can navigate later on.

YOu can see what it looks like here: Crusoe.co

Thanks for the suggestion to try Crusoe.  I'll check it out.

Guess I have a different objective to you.  The odds of a random note being of interest to me when I want to review notes randomly is quite high.  

I still don't understand why Evernote can't just give every note an index number and then use a random number generator to select the order in which they are displayed...

The discussion diverted a bit, and maybe things changed since last year so I’d like to ask again, since Evernote peek is no longer available and StudyBlue doesn’t work with Evernote anymore, does anyone know about a good flash-cards app out there that does work good with Evernote?