Evernote for Windows 6.6 Beta 2 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.6 Beta 2 - you cadownload it here. This release refines the features we announced in Beta 1 around table improvements, image previews and adds support for emojis in notes along with a number of bug fixes.  As always, we're looking to the Beta community to help us uncover bugs - please let us know if you spot any issues in your existing workflows and let us know if you're able to take advantage of the new feature improvements. 

Improvement to tables
You can now merge cells, to add more layers of organization to your tables! 
You can now copy multiple cells and paste into selected cells

Improvements to image gallery
We’ve improved the UI for the gallery to make it clearer that you’re in a different mode

Emojis
Evernote for Windows now supports emojis, so you can quickly add texture, fun, and emotion to your notes! (Supported on Windows 8 & Windows 10) 

Bug fixes for issues in the Beta 1 build:
When copying an Evernote table and pasting it elsewhere in a note, styles were sometimes unexpectedly changed in the pasted table 
Paste and match style was retaining the style of the copy source
Various other bug fixes

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows and the Editor team! 

--------------------

Full release notes for version 6.6: 

Evernote for Windows 6.6 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights:

• Quickly add rows and columns – via the plus button
  • Easily select cells – by clicking-and-dragging, or by clicking the column/row headers
  • Efficiently drag and drop rows & columns – by clicking on the row/column headers, and then dragging and dropping the row/column elsewhere
  • Better copy/paste – copy multiple cells, then place your cursor anywhere in the table to paste into multiple cells
  • New fixed width columns – so that as you increase/decrease one column’s width, it does not affect the next column’s width
  • New horizontally scrollable tables – so that you won’t need to expand your window wide to view a table that has many columns
  • Access advanced table functions – via the new menu which provides options such as
    • Resizing the table width to match the current window size
    • Distributing selected columns evenly
    • Adjusting alignment of content in cells
    • Changing cell background color
  • Additional info: The new tables do not support "table-in-table" or "merged cell" functionality. If you paste incompatible tables into a note, then the tables in the note will not have the updated table features or controls (including resizing). In a future update, we plan to support pasted-in tables that have merged cells.

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

New editor

Evernote for Windows now utilizes the new editor, which has been rewritten to allow for more rapid improvements to the editor moving forward.

Improved Share dialog

More easily share notes via our improved UI which allows sharing to another evernote user or through a public link.

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

• Notes with tables and checkboxes were sometimes causing the app to hang
  • Line breaks were sometimes hidden below the bottom margin of the note
  • When attempting to repeatedly add attachments to a note, sometimes attachments fail to be added to note
  • When copying text from an email that contains dates/times that have were auto-formatted as links, sometimes the dates/times were not pastable into Evernote
  • If a user had changed their font size, began typing text and creating line breaks, and then deleted some text, the font size would sometimes unexpectedly revert back to the default size
  • Undo often did not work on the first try when there was a table in the note

----------------------------------

Screenshots

Emoji support and improved table editing with cell merging!

image.thumb.png.9e446002c7745046ca14d4a9d11d69c5.png

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Level 5*

There's a current pre-release version on test - look out for version 6.6 in due course...

- Ah.  We're in that thread anyway.  Don't know when I last had a new update for the beta,  but there are 8 pages here of bugs and comments.  I'm happy to wait until all that is comprehensively resolved...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

There's a current pre-release version on test - look out for version 6.6 in due course...

- Ah.  We're in that thread anyway.  Don't know when I last had a new update for the beta,  but there are 8 pages here of bugs and comments.  I'm happy to wait until all that is comprehensively resolved...

hoping there is a beta 3 before GA...

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, gazumped said:

Don't know when I last had a new update for the beta,  but there are 8 pages here of bugs and comments.  I'm happy to wait until all that is comprehensively resolved...

According to the time-stamp on the first post in this thread, the last update was June 1. If they don't release it soon, it will be 2 months. Don't know the full history of when updates become available, but 2 months does seem much longer than usual. But then, some users get upset that there are too many updates. Maybe Evernote is trying to please a different group of people than us?! Obviously, I am looking forward to the next update, but I am sure as heck am not holding my breath over it!

• Level 5*

Based upon the time passed perhaps some rethinking was required to address the issues introduced with the new editor and tables.

That and coordinating with IOS in that IOS can still hose tables.

Hopefully soon....

How do I paste text into a table cell using the default style of font and font size of Evernote?

I am clipping text from different webpages and I do not want to keep the source style but use the destination default style (in Evernote).  So far, I am pasting from the webpage to notepad and then re-pasting to Evernote.  Double pasting sucks.

How do I paste text into a table cell using the default style of font and font size of Evernote?

I am clipping text from different webpages and I do not want to keep the source style but use the destination default style (in Evernote).  So far, I am pasting from the webpage to notepad and then re-pasting to Evernote.  Double pasting sucks.

12 hours ago, csalsa said:

Simple answer, you don't. Not yet. EN is aware and have indicated it's on the to-do list. And was that double pasting or double posting? :)

when I'm combining notes, the "headline table" between the original notes (containing the former note title & URL) is always one very narrow column and not as wide as the note/text. This results in very "awkward" long gaps between the notes and I usually have to manually resize the table.

That seems to be a bug, too.

Hi Evernote Community

I am currently using the beta version of Evernote client for windows.

I'd notice a bug related to the creation of a new note.

The client effectively creates the note but this one didn't show up as usual to give you the hand on the fresh new note. You have to double clic on the empty note.

When you finish, a new empty note appear in the notebook as well.

2017-07-25_102808.png

• Level 5*
On 7/10/2017 at 3:31 PM, EdH said:

This looks like a pretty big bug.

See this video. I copied text from a text based app (Excel's Power Query advanced editor - pure ASCII - no formatting) and pasted into a note. Out of habit I always use Paste and Apply Formatting, but it does the same thing even with a regular paste.

This seems to have been fixed in beta 3.

On 7/5/2017 at 2:28 PM, Jason Miller said:

To Ensure this isn't forgotten about, I filed a new bug for tracking the problem 

Got the new update 6.6.3.5484

Still has the issue.

Can't fathom how such a low hanging fruit still remain unresolved.

There is no other product out there that decides to insert a cr-lf into a clipboard copy buffer.

What were Evernote developers were thinking?

Once a great product now its showing its age and signs of bloat, bugs, slow fixes ...

• Level 5*

If it were that easy to fix I think someone would have done it by now.  If everyone who has complained here makes a point of reporting this to Support maybe they'll be able to help identify the issue.

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

If it were that easy to fix I think someone would have done it by now.  If everyone who has complained here makes a point of reporting this to Support maybe they'll be able to help identify the issue.

Can't be that difficult to remove what was added as a suffix.

This is a regression, it was never like this until beta 2, so it was either added by design (I don't even want to try to understand why) or broken as part of code change, either way it should be trivial to fix.

Hello all, 

This is a business account issue that seems to have been triggered by this update. Previously, when I was in my business notebook (alt-2) and created a note, the note would go to my default Business notebook. Now, there only seems to be one default notebook and it can't be set to a business folder. As someone who uses Evernote extensively for business and personal matters, it's so helpful to be able to quickly decide which part of the online brain a new idea/note is going towards. 

I will note that if I Alt-F1 to a notebook in my business account and create a new note, it will go to that notebook.

Best,

M

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, eafpres said:

Not sure if this has been reported.  I'm currently 6.6.3.5484 (30584) Prerelease

You might want to upgrade to v6.6 GA release or v6.7 beta and see if the issue remains.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, eafpres said:

Not sure if this has been reported.  I'm currently 6.6.3.5484 (30584) Prerelease

Saved search is returning results from notebooks outside the scope

See annotated screen capture

You should also check to see whether the same search in the saved search returns the same result; i.e., answer the question "is it the search itself, or the fact that it's a saved search?"

15 minutes ago, jefito said:

You should also check to see whether the same search in the saved search returns the same result; i.e., answer the question "is it the search itself, or the fact that it's a saved search?"

Good idea.  I tried it, same result.

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

Download link here.

Unfortunately, the same result.  It is probably one of those "just this note has issues" things.  If I find a way to reproduce it, I'll update.

I am entering content inside a note and I am at the end of the content.  Then I press Enter.  But display doesn't scroll down to show me the next line.  I have to move the cursor up a few rows and then move it down to see the next line on screen.

This bug has been there for months now.  Not sure if it is related to this beta or if there is a prior stable version I can go to.  Incredibly frustrating.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, kkrathi said:

I am entering content inside a note and I am at the end of the content.  Then I press Enter.  But display doesn't scroll down to show me the next line.  I have to move the cursor up a few rows and then move it down to see the next line on screen.

This bug has been there for months now.  Not sure if it is related to this beta or if there is a prior stable version I can go to.  Incredibly frustrating.

Please don't post twice on the same subject.. answered here.

I thought this was fixed, but I just found a corrupted note AND the history is corrupted, so there is no simple fix.

Windows client version 6.8.1.5832

I'm going to submit a ticket, but thought it might be of interest to others here.

Archived