Evernote Dictionary Not Retaining Words

I entered a word on December 18th ,2015 into Evernote that was not previously in it's User Dictionary.  It underlined it in red and I right clicked on it and selected "Add to Dictionary".

Today, 18 months later I entered that same word and Evernote has flagged it once again as a word it does not recognize as being in the User Dictionary.  

When I entered it the first time I seemed to be encountering that very same issue; that I would enter words into the User Dictionary and yet Evernote would flag that very same word as not being in the dictionary.  Hence the reason why I started a note that contained nothing but words that I had added.  I included a date next to each word (I know, I have too much time on my hands), but I couldn't factually point to any single word that Evernote had done this with, until I had created a list like this.  Today I have that factual proof.  Can anyone explain this?  Is there something I am missing or is Evernote really becoming more and more each day unreliable and inconsistent as too many other apps out there on the market?  I'm astounded that software which would appear to me to be almost the epitome of consistency, (it's either yes or no) is so inconsistent these days.

• Level 5*

Well, if you have time on your hands the dictionary file (user.dic) is located in the Dict folder of your EN folder.  It's a text file so you can see what has been included and add a word and see if it gets added.

• 3 months later...

I use evernote in spanish, and the same happens to me, everytime I add a word that is underlined it in red to the dictionary, it appears on user.dic but when I write it, it shows the red underline again, also when I write it wrong, the suggestion is missing 

I noticed the same issue.  I even just got done complaining to myself that to this day , by default it doesn't even recognize it's own name, Evernote, the abbreviation GPS, or the contraction "doesn't".  It's extra frustrating when it forgets my manual additions of these words.  I don't see why the dictionary file doesn't sync across devices (as far as I can tell).

• Level 5
6 hours ago, bill77 said:

I noticed the same issue.  I even just got done complaining to myself that to this day , by default it doesn't even recognize it's own name, Evernote, the abbreviation GPS, or the contraction "doesn't".  It's extra frustrating when it forgets my manual additions of these words.  I don't see why the dictionary file doesn't sync across devices (as far as I can tell).

My experience:

1. "Evernote" is not flagged as a misspelling for me.
  2. "GPS" sure is, though. I located C:\Users\{my username}\Evernote\Dict\user.dic and added GPS to it, so it is recognized now. Very fast, unless you've got a lot of words to add. It's a kludge, but if you have a dictionary file from another source, you could merge it into user.dic, which is a plain text file.
  3. The contractions issue has been under discussion in this thread. The last word from Evernote staff, in July, was that it's scheduled to be fixed in v. 6.8, having been complicated by "some very heavy lifting we need to do under the hood to get to it."
  4. I don't think the dictionary could sync across devices, at any rate not from, say, Windows to Android, which knows not from spell-checking (apart from autocorrupt ;)).
  • 4 months later...

Nope.

In this (C:\Users\SONY\Evernote) location, I have 4 folders: AutoUpdate, Crashes, Databases, and Logs. The "Databases" subfolder has no "Dict" file.

This location (C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote) has a "Dict" subfolder and this contains numerous "AFF" files and text document. Ex. cs-CS.aff.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, shikhar said:

Nope.

In this (C:\Users\SONY\Evernote) location, I have 4 folders: AutoUpdate, Crashes, Databases, and Logs. The "Databases" subfolder has no "Dict" file.

This location (C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote) has a "Dict" subfolder and this contains numerous "AFF" files and text document. Ex. cs-CS.aff.

Add a Dict folder to the C:\Users\SONY\Evernote location and see if that helps.

ScreenClip.png.dbf4d825132c898f06930f1824ec65d9.png

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, shikhar said:

This is the base dictionary that Evernote uses, and is not the modifiable user dictionary (program files are not meant to be modified). That the 'Dict' folder is not in your user folder means that something  went awry, maybe on installation. Try Cal's suggestion, and if that doesn't work, try adding a text file called 'user.dic' in the 'Dict' folder that you added..

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, shikhar said:

I added a Dict folder to C:\Users\SONY\Evernote location and also created a '.dic' file. Added a few words and still the red underline under those words appears.

Don't know what to say at this point, adding the folder Dict and the file user.dic fixed the issue for me.  You can open the user.dic file and see what is in it, see if what you added got there.

I chose 'add to dictionary' option and then checked the '.dic' file and the word was not added to that file.

Tried other method, i.e added manually a not recognized word to '.dic' file and then again there was the red underline.

Both methods not working.

• Level 5
9 hours ago, shikhar said:

So,  what should I do? Wait for the update?

By all means. It may restore the dictionary, and you'll have the excitement of anticipating what else may get hosed (to use Cal's colorful expression) this time. I love Evernote, but I'm getting a little cynical about the updates that always find something new to break; almost thinking I may never update again.

• Level 5*

I did a chat with support, the dictionary is indeed broken.  No target date for a fix.  The only workaround provided was to go back to a previous release.  Not worth it to me. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, CalS said:

I did a chat with support, the dictionary is indeed broken.  No target date for a fix.  The only workaround provided was to go back to a previous release.  Not worth it to me. 

Nor for me, because I am an exellent speler.

I'm having similar problems, but it's showing misspelling in one location within the note, but not others.  Check out the words "Microwave" and "Install".  After it flagged the words as misspelled, I tried a few iterations. 

5a8ab81bf08db_ScreenShot2018-02-19at6_31_23AM.png.037a6ee59755e37fa4b1defce26b8bf1.png

This is wierd.  While working on this post I went back to re-verify, tried it on another note, it repeated.  See the 2nd image. 

5a8ab8e70c222_ScreenShot2018-02-19at6_44_19AM.png.b3e42bb180857a2ec4bd2c9e73f5e343.png

Then, back to the original note and all shows OK. 

5a8ab8453ece7_ScreenShot2018-02-19at6_39_25AM.png.aac28629245b9b88466b6a578cad4b16.png 

On 2/14/2018 at 6:49 AM, CalS said:

Wow.

It's 2018 and Evernote can't get its dictionary or spell checker to work?

That's especially ironic given the company's motto "Remember Everything".

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

That's especially ironic given the company's motto "Remember Everything".

Where's the irony there? "Remembering" isn't synonymous with "spelling". Or is this "rain on your wedding day" "irony"?

1 hour ago, jefito said:

Where's the irony there? "Remembering" isn't synonymous with "spelling". Or is this "rain on your wedding day" "irony"?

Have you read the title of this thread? The dictionary is not remembering which words users have entered.

You tell Evernote that, say, "NYU" is not a misspelling and then not far into the future, Evernote doesn't remember being told that "NYU"  is not a misspelling.

This high frequency of forgetting is ironic given the company motto of "Remember everything".

• Ex Employees

Hi @MLeitch1. Thanks for the report. We're aware of this issue and working on a fix that will be included in a future release. The current status of the spell check feature on 6.9 is posted here: 

I'll reply there as soon as I have more info. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks, 

• 6 months later...

I've the same issue as Shikhar: No .dic file, no Dict directory in Evernote folder, and none of my "Add to dictionary" words are being remembered between Evernote sessions. Adding user.dic manually does not fix the problem. My Evernote version is 6.14.5.7671.

3 hours ago, istarninwa said:

I've the same issue as Shikhar: No .dic file, no Dict directory in Evernote folder, and none of my "Add to dictionary" words are being remembered between Evernote sessions. Adding user.dic manually does not fix the problem. My Evernote version is 6.14.5.7671.

Spell check is fixed for me in 6.15. But I need to re-add all my words.

The dictionary file is stored: C:\Users\<<USER NAME>>\Evernote\LocalStorage\Custom Dictionary.txt

Sadly, you no longer can edit words into the text file. Some goofball of a programmer added a checksum_v1 to the file. Wonderful.

See another discussion here.

4 hours ago, cswilly said:

Sadly, you no longer can edit words into the text file. Some goofball of a programmer added a checksum_v1 to the file. Wonderful.

The checksum is a simple MD5 checksum over all the word in the dictionary but not line with the checksum.

Editing is possible, but now you need to be pretty geeky to do so. Notepad++ has a default Tool that helps.

• Level 5

:angry: Thanks, @cswilly, for your diligence on this (although the multiple postings may be less than useful). I can't imagine why anyone would think an uneditable user dictionary is better than an editable one. Programmers are not often writers, I guess, and maybe wouldn't see the issue. But this has been vetted, and vented, on the forums for months, so it's not like they haven't heard.

My one thought is that I have another program that does have an editable dictionary file. If I ever update again (I'm still holding out, after this), I might just copy all my custom words from that list into an Evernote note, and then go through and add them one at a time, rather than waiting for them to come up randomly when I'm trying to get some actual work done.

I repeat, :angry:.

On 9/7/2018 at 10:21 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I can't imagine why anyone would think an uneditable user dictionary is better than an editable one.

Talk to Google. :) 

The dictionary issues we've been having is from the CEF1 to CEF3 conversion we went thru a number of months ago.

• Level 5
1 minute ago, dconnet said:

Talk to Google. :) 

The dictionary issues we've been having is from the CEF1 to CEF3 conversion we went thru a number of months ago.

Yes, I seem to remember hearing about that at the time, now that you mention it. Confirming once again my fundamental hypothesis of contemporary computing problems: when anything goes wrong, it's Google.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, BobSF said:

I used the "Add to dictionary" option again today and added the same names and words I have added many times in the past. ? 

What version are you running.  I think 6.16.4 has fixed the issue for me.  No re adds within it thus far.  Still catching up with some first time add backs.

20 minutes ago, CalS said:

What version are you running.  I thing 6.16.4 has fixed the issue for me.  No re adds within it thus far.  Still catching up with some first time add backs.

I have 6.16.4.8094 (308094) Public (CE Build ce-58.1.6897). (I always update as soon as an update is released.) Hopefully this is solved. 

Archived