Going between a PC and a Mac

I am getting ready to purchase a wireless scanner to go with this product (Fujitsu ix500). I have a home office that I rarely use with a MAC desktop, and my office that has a PC laptop. My desire is to be able to take my scanner with me to both offices, and to be able to scan using Evernote on both. Will this be possible or will I need to choose which computer I want to use for my business receipts?

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Apekast said:

My desire is to be able to take my scanner with me to both offices, and to be able to scan using Evernote on both. Will this be possible or will I need to choose which computer I want to use for my business receipts?

Scanners are a utility device, and shouldn't drive your choice of computers
Wireless is good; you're not tied to a device
Not sure about taking the device between offices.  There are mobile versions, but usually the scanner stays in one place

I have a cheap wireless Epson printer/scanner I use with my Mac and iPad/iPhone
The truth is, I rarely use it; I just use my iPhone camera and Scannable app

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Apekast said:

I am getting ready to purchase a wireless scanner to go with this product (Fujitsu ix500). I have a home office that I rarely use with a MAC desktop, and my office that has a PC laptop. My desire is to be able to take my scanner with me to both offices, and to be able to scan using Evernote on both. Will this be possible or will I need to choose which computer I want to use for my business receipts?

ScanSnap has some relatively light scanners that work on both Mac and Win.  

I go between offices with one laptop, docking station in both locations.  I decided to put a ScanSnap in both locations attached to the docking station.  A bit more expensive, but a lot less hassle.  YMMV.

• Level 5*

Most scanners come with both Windows and Mac software,  so if you install the software on both computers you should find it will be available at both locations.  As Cal says the logistics of lugging a scanner around might be the main sticking point - it's probably easier to carry the paper...

Point to bear in mind that ideally hardware should work well with all supported operating systems.  Unfortunately, however there can be vast differences. 

Providing it works well under Mac (Win -never heard of any complaints) ithere is really no case against transporting the device (would recommend by car) because the device is lightweight and incredibly compact. My wife has one of those bigger grocery shopping baskets with 2 handles and a solid aluminium frame similar in looks to  http://Amazon.com: JanetBasket Large Aluminum Frame Basket, 18-Inch x 10-Inch x 9.5-Inch, Rouge: Home & Kitchen where it stands in with a snug fit. With a  zip cover on top really no problem. 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Apekast said:

I am getting ready to purchase a wireless scanner to go with this product (Fujitsu ix500). I have a home office that I rarely use with a MAC desktop, and my office that has a PC laptop. My desire is to be able to take my scanner with me to both offices, and to be able to scan using Evernote on both. Will this be possible

Search is your friend.  This quickly came up from the manufacturer's web site:

ScanSnap iX500 Wireless Duplex Scanner for Mac & PC - Fujitsu United States 

The ScanSnap iX500 provides PC and Mac users an effective way to greatly reduce paper clutter, storage space, and security risks associated with unmanaged paperwork at home or the office. For even greater accessibility and usefulness, users can now scan wirelessly to a PC or Mac as well as iOS or Android mobile devices.

I think clearly answers your question, but I'd read more on that site to convince myself there are no issues.

Having said that, are you aware of how large the ix500 is:  "292 mm x 159 mm x 168 mm (11.5 in. x 6.2 in. x 6.6 in.)"  It is really not designed for portability.  Fujitsu makes several other scanners that are very portable and work well with both Mac and Windows.  Check them out.

1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

Search is your friend.  This quickly came up from the manufacturer's web site:

ScanSnap iX500 Wireless Duplex Scanner for Mac & PC - Fujitsu United States 

I think clearly answers your question, but I'd read more on that site to convince myself there are no issues.

Having said that, are you aware of how large the ix500 is:  "292 mm x 159 mm x 168 mm (11.5 in. x 6.2 in. x 6.6 in.)"  It is really not designed for portability.  Fujitsu makes several other scanners that are very portable and work well with both Mac and Windows.  Check them out.

My wife got herself one of those baby Fujitsus last year when using the mobile phone was no option because of quantity involved but as soon as her relative was back home out of hospital she just 'hijacked' the ix500 for the days when she needed to be there to follow up with the paperwork.

Why? quality of scans, every single page needs to be fully fed through, noise level, software not nearly as good. The lesser grade, on the face better portable model does not merit the name Snap and quite frankly is not worth the money. Those who own the ix500 model tend to love it because its compact size when closed belies its performance. The small model however is worse than any compact flatbed scanner, only much much slower. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JohnLongney said:

Why? quality of scans, every single page needs to be fully fed through, noise level, software not nearly as good. The lesser grade, on the face better portable model does not merit the name Snap and quite frankly is not worth the money. Those who own the ix500 model tend to love it because its compact size when closed belies its performance. The small model however is worse than any compact flatbed scanner, only much much slower.

You don't say which model your wife bought.  I've been using the S1300i for years now, and it produces great scans, does 10-15 pages at a time, has lots of options, and is still very portable.  And it is nearly 1/2 price of the ix500.  You guys just need to do your research before buying.

My wife did buy the very model you are quoting thinking it would be what Fuijitsu claim it to be and of course going by our experience with our ix500.  The technology used in the bigger model plays in a different league and whereas the ix500 is a solid construction the small model is made of cheaper plastic, especially the feed unit.

I do not dispute your good experience with it but please accept my words (supported by more recent review from other customers). Manufacturers do substitute materials and/or production/assembly plants.

And yes, once got used to the performance of the ingeniously compact but high performance model one is undoubtedly spoilt. The difference in software Fujitsu includes is quite significant and does seem to vary from time to time. Our ix500 still shipped with a full single licence of Adobe Acrobat which at the time would have cost minimum € 160 - 180 plus an older version of Abbyy FineReader. 

User experience will always vary, but as @Apekast specifically asked about the ix500 I found nothing wrong in giving positive feedback on that particular model. 

Over the past 2-3 years a variety of scan-to-network scanners appeared on the market, offering secure and direct transmission to Evernote and many more cloud services, bypassing computer or phone altogether.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

My wife did buy the very model you are quoting thinking it would be what Fuijitsu claim it to be and of course going by our experience with our ix500.  The technology used in the bigger model plays in a different league and whereas the ix500 is a solid construction the small model is made of cheaper plastic, especially the feed unit

You experience with the S1300i is very different from mine (and apparently many others at Amazon.com).  I have seen NONE of the issues your reported, and I've been using it since late 2012:

15 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

Why? quality of scans, every single page needs to be fully fed through, noise level, software not nearly as good. The lesser grade, on the face better portable model does not merit the name Snap and quite frankly is not worth the money.

On Amazon.com it has a rating of 4.5/5:

Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i Mobile Document Scanner 

2017-05-26_12-38-11.png.ee384ac42237825f5efc586ddd2af387.png

IMO, the major difference with the ix500 is volume it can handle.  If you are scanning hundreds of pages a day, then the ix500 would be a top candidate.  But if, like me, you need << 50/day (usually < 10 these days), then the much lower price ($200 less) and smaller footprint of the S1300i, while still providing very high quality scans, make it a top candidate.  I have not tested the ix500, but I would be very surprised if it provides a scan quality is materially better than the S1300i.

It looks like neither scanner provides Adobe Acrobat today.  But do your own research.

@JMichaelTX

Devices manufactured for Europe run on 220/230 V so it is fair to assume that Fujitsu have more than one production plant.

As every device is designed to an certain working life it would be foolish to think that the ix500 could handle hundreds of scans 5 days a week. The SnapScan series of scanners are consumer products, not intended for commercial use, though the technology used in the ix500 is /was? used in commercial type scanners.

However technology advances all the time and as such I'd recommend to look at other makes as well. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JohnLongney said:

it would be foolish to think that the ix500 could handle hundreds of scans 5 days a week.

@JohnLongney:

Poor choice of words I think.  Out curiosity, I just confirmed with Fujitsu (by phone) that there would be no problem with doing "hundreds of scans" daily, as in up to 500.  500 pages could be scanned in 20 minutes.  Not really that long.  On any given day it could clearly scan a lot more.

What may be foolish, or at least uninformed, is telling someone else they are foolish without any facts to back up your claim.  Actually, use of pejorative terms is never a good idea.  Of course, any of us can be misinformed, and I am always ready to be corrected when presented with the facts.

I think we have reached the end of a productive discussion here, so I'll drop out now.  Have a nice day.

Yes, except that Fujitsu give US customers a 1 yr guarantee, and do not mention the numbers of scans it is built to.

With industry-grade models the number of scans (min. life-time) become part of data sheets.

I worked in industry all my working life and know the difference between heavy-duty and consumer hardware. In Europe tax laws re depreciation differentiate between was can be written off in the year of purchase and what not. That's why hardware (ex VAT at business customer price) currently still at € 410 net ) has been designed and produced accordingly. The limit is supposed to go up to € 800 next year, because devices in that price range are more and more in demand.

Really high-grade office equipment is not usually purchased any more but leased including servicing. For the normal consumer servicing costs (exchange of parts and cleaning, recalibrating) are such that there is no advantage over buying a new machine. Once you are aware of  when the need for replacement can strike at any moment you will hopefully got your financial reserves ready (accruals built up).  

Both of the Fujitsu scanners are in a way old hat. 

I wrote all this because Evernote users come from all walks of life and parts of the world.

Archived