search function of words inside other words

Hi,

I'm using Evernote web version/UI (linux user) and if I do a search function for a sigle word, for example "netflix", it will find me the word netflix in various notes but it NEVER show me the notes where the word is contained inside an email address, like for example sep16netflix@gmail.com or inside other word, like for example "netflixblahblah".

Please what's wrong with the search function and how can I rely on it when not able to perform such a basic function?

Many thanks

• Level 5*

Hi.  Nothing is broken here.  Evernote publish their search syntax - https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php - and it's a fact that only the beginning of a string can be searched,  not the middle or end characters. 

To find the start of a longer string add " * " as in " netflix* " to find netflixblahblah.

See also: https://www.cheatography.com/senseful/cheat-sheets/evernote/

20 minutes ago, gazumped said:

To find the start of a longer string add " * " as in " netflix* " to find netflixblahblah.

Thanks for support,

I tried searching for "*netflix*", "*netflix" and "netflix*" but the email address "sep16netflix@gmail.com" never showed up in the results.

Beside I find it a little bit counter-intuitive that for a basic search like that someone has to find out that there are cheat sheets and to use them, don't you think? These are basic features used by average users.

Cheers

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, gazumped said:

and it's a fact that only the beginning of a string can be searched,  not the middle or end characters. 

So "sep16netflix@gmail.com" isn't findable,  but " sep16* " would be.

And a third party site published the 'cheat sheet' which is just a summary of the basic search grammar plus other facts for the convenience of users.  Their choice of title.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, mostidiotever said:

how can I rely on it when not able to perform such a basic function?

The Evernote Search feature has peculiarities and limitations.  
You should make sure you understand them; @gazumped gave you the link to Evernote's documentation

I don't rely only on the search feature.  

• I have my data organized using tags and note titles.
  • I also use alternate search features; the Mac OS allows search of Evernote data

Archived