Local Notebooks disappeared! HELP!!

Hi - All of my Local Notebooks have disappeared after a laptop reboot! Has this happened to anyone else? (All my synchronized notebooks are still there)

How can I restore/view them again? I had a lot of local notebooks. Please please HELP.

FWIW - I did not do any OS upgrade, not sure if Evernote "self" updated during reboot (I explicitly did not upgrade Evernote).

My current Evernote Version is 6.9.2

• Level 5*

Hi.  Your local notebooks are kept on your device and are not saved elsewhere.  An update (or reboot) should not 'lose' the connection.  Have you tried logging out of Everniote and back in?  A restart may be all you need...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, ankur_a said:

All of my Local Notebooks have disappeared after a laptop reboot! Has this happened to anyone else? (All my synchronized notebooks are still there)

It's unlikely a laptop reboot would cause this.  
It would take a rebuild of the database from the Evernote servers.

Any chance if a backup; even Time Machine?
Look at your database folder. 5926bc0e071ee_ScreenShot2017-05-25at4_10_49AM.png.a357c0c66eb4fdd2b25c3efc40bc5fa0.png
You get the location using Evernote > About then pressing the option key.  The top level folder shows as a number nnnnnn. 

This shows the necessity of data back up.  
By using Evernote, we have the benefit of built in data backup. however we lose this benefit the moment we declare a notebook is Local

>>Has this happened to anyone else? 

Yes, it happens whenever I do a database rebuild

Evernote restores the sync'd notebooks, however I have to manually load the Local Notebooks.  I use an import from exported enex files

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Your local notebooks are kept on your device and are not saved elsewhere.  An update (or reboot) should not 'lose' the connection.  Have you tried logging out of Everniote and back in?  A restart may be all you need...

Yes I tried logging out of Evernote and rebooting laptop several times - no luck :(

Is there a place in hard drive where the local notebooks are stored and its "linking" might be broken and I can manually call/import it from that location.

The reason for my reboot was I ran out of hard disk space, so things (Eg: outlook, terminal, evernote) started quitting due to lack of space. I freed up space and rebooted - thats when this happened.

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

It's unlikely a laptop reboot would cause this.  
It would take a rebuild of the database from the Evernote servers.

Any chance if a backup; even Time Machine?
Look at your database folder. 5926bc0e071ee_ScreenShot2017-05-25at4_10_49AM.png.a357c0c66eb4fdd2b25c3efc40bc5fa0.png
You get the location using Evernote > About then pressing the option key.  The top level folder shows as a number nnnnnn. 

This shows the necessity of data back up.  
By using Evernote, we have the benefit of built in data backup. however we lose this benefit the moment we declare a notebook is Local

>>Has this happened to anyone else? 

Yes, it happens whenever I do a database rebuild

Evernote restores the sync'd notebooks, however I have to manually load the Local Notebooks.  I use an import from exported enex files

Thank you! Seems I am close. I located the database but it does not have any enex files (please see screenshot). I tried importing enml files with no luck, tried renaming enml -> enex and importing, no luck.

Any other pointer to import all my notebooks/notes

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 11.52.53 AM.png

41 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Do you have a backup to  import from?

Thanks @DTLow. Yes - I was able to locate the database folder with that number nnnnnn as seen in my screenshot above. This has all the data I need - but I was unable to import this to evernote even though the file format is enml

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, ankur_a said:

Thanks @DTLow. Yes - I was able to locate the database folder with that number nnnnnn as seen in my screenshot above. This has all the data I need - but I was unable to import this to evernote even though the file format is enml

You found the rebuilt database that is missing the Local Notebooks?

This would not be a good source to  use

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You found the rebuilt database that is missing the Local Notebooks?

This would not be a good source to  use

I am not sure what rebuilt database mean. I found the database with Local notebooks that are missing from Evernote app.

Let me try to see if I can explain.

For some reason, after laptop reboot, all the local notebooks from Evernote disappeared. Per your suggestion, I was able to find all these disappeared local notebooks (that are not viewable in Evernote) from database folder (~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/www.evernote.com/70026854/content).
Under this content, all my desired notebooks are present in .enml format

I was wondering how can I import all these files (~2000 files) to evernote 

• Level 5*

Ok, you found database folder 70026854 containing the missing Local notebooks

Now, find your current database folder (use About Evernote)

You can close the app, shut down the internet,  and swap the database folders.  This will allow you to export the local notebooks

70026854 has missing local notebooks under contents/ and this itself is my current database folder. That's right, when I go to About Evernote > open database folder, I see two folders: 70026854 and props (that has UserIDMap).

But Evernote app/UI/.com does not show local notebooks!!!

Weird

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, ankur_a said:

70026854 has missing local notebooks under contents

The "content" sub-folder contains note data
It does not contain notebook information - that's stored in an sql database

The content.enml file is Evernote's version of html
For simple notes, you can rename content.enml to content.html and see your note

@DTLow - so since I have all the contents of the files, its just the issue of importing/displaying in Evernote, right?

Where is this sql db located? Is is somewhere here:

~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote

accounts atlas checkpoint eb-up-sell old skus version

announcements bootstrap comm-engine logs puppetmaster undo support

Is there any possibility I can import/open all these enml files in Evernote, either merging under one notebook or somehow importing along with their notebooks. Since there are 2000 of them, ability to import files categorized with their notebook will be extremely helpful.

Big thank you for your time - really appreciate it!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, ankur_a said:

Where is this sql db located?

The actual database is stored in file           LocalNoteStore.sqlite        In your 70026854 folder
This contains reference tables, for example ZENNOTE contains the meta-data for each note (notebook, created date etc)

An example of software to access this database is       http://sqlitebrowser.org

Sorrry, I  don't have a method for working with this data.  You need a backup source
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, ankur_a said:

I thought 70026854 folder is the backup source, no?

You told me it's your current database

By backup, I mean an export if the notes or a copy of the database folder

That is the weird part I did not understand.

It does show up as my current database, and it also has all my local notebooks that are not showing up in EN app. 

The issue is it is not showing up in evernote - so looks like it just needs a reset somehow or "force load" the full database (70026854) again ?

• Level 5*
Just now, ankur_a said:

and it also has all my local notebooks

I was wondering what you meant by that
The folder you were looking in only has note data; no Notebook data
How did you identify it has all your local notebooks?

Ah - I see now. I was mixing up "content" of local notebooks with local notebook itself

I am ok if we can get all the contents of this folder to show up in Evernote somehow under a single notebook (and then I can manually categorize later)

The issue is I cannot get the contents of any of my local notebooks to show up in EN 

I know its there - I can see .enml files - but unable to import these files (contents) in EN

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, ankur_a said:

Ah - I see now. I was mixing up "content" of local notebooks with local notebook itself

If you really wanted to explore this, I'd look into the sql database 

I'd look at table ZENNOTBOOK to see a list of notebooks
I'd also look at table ZENNOTE; find the note and identify the table

Hello, the same thing just happened to me. I'm trying to follow this thread but not sure I fully understand. (I'm also trying not to have any of you duplicate your efforts.)

I can't recall exactly, but I seemed to get some sort of message and it did a rebuild ( I think) and my local folders are gone.  Am I understanding this...

--> I located the database thru About>Evernote. It's located in www.evernote.com.  I have 1 folder that has a number on it. 

--> I opened the folder and I do see a file called LocalNoteStore.sqlite as well as 2 others with -shm & -wal extensions.  

Q. Is that where my local notebooks reside?  How do I know they are still there?

--> I have a time machine backup thats about a week old. I'm not sure how to do a swap.  Thank You!

Hello! I had that very same problem. Just like that - disk runs out of space - programs rebooting - after restart I don't see any of my offline notebooks. Tried everything listed here plus some other things. The solution was surprisingly simple. Here's what you need to do:

1. Locate evernote database folder (you did this already)

2. Turn off Internet, exit Evernote and all its apps

3. Go to database folder (the one with the digital name), delete everything and replace it with Time Machine version of that folder from a date before the glitch

4. Turn on Evernote while still offline

5. Here they are - all your notebooks and notes, tagged and sorted

Worked for me, hope it will work for you too. Now I know how painful dataloss can be. Sure as hell Time Capsule paid for itself this day. It didn't work when I tried to simply drag-and-drop 'content' folder, or other options, but recovering from Time Machine backup solved the problem. Guess it's something in route databases that connect program itself with offline notebooks list. 

Thank You Kandratsi. For some reason, I just saw your response - I wish I saw it earlier. 

Could you please clarify.." 3. Go to database folder (the one with the digital name)"  ?

I thought I did something similar, but I couldn't seem to locate the exact folder on the time machine backup and worried about making a huge mess. I wondered if there were incremental backups.  What I ended up doing took way longer than I had hoped.  I took an empty partition on a backup drive, reinstalled the OS and restored my Time Machine backup. I then launched Evernote and exported the entries and then imported them back into the live folder.  Not as elegant and easy as your solution, but it's done.

I thank you very much for taking the time it respond.  If it happens again I will try your method first. I think now I will also make a habit a regularly exporting my local notebooks.

Archived