How can I ensure that my notes will always be safe?

Hello,

I love Evernote but I'm quite a paranoid person, and I'm terrified of potential data loss. I hoard articles I've read, quotes from books I've read, notes I've made during my degree, film reviews I've written, etc. and I would hate to lose them. Can you guys let me know the best set up to ensure that my notes are never lost? I plan on buying a new computer soon, and I've heard that some people have lost their notes when logging in with their Evernote account on a new device.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, rosewater said:

Can you guys let me know the best set up to ensure that my notes are never lost?

By using Evernote, you've taken a big step towards ensuring that your notes are protected
Evernote comes with built in backup

I also back up my data
I have daily incremental backups and a full weekly backup

>>I've heard that some people have lost their notes when logging in with their Evernote account on a new device.

I've never had this problem.  
Evernote has always managed to rebuild it's database using the master copy stored on the Evernote servers
Warning: Local Notebooks are not synced to the servers.  You must back them up yourself

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

By using Evernote, you've taken a big step towards ensuring that your notes are protected
Evernote comes with built in backup

I also back up my data
I have daily incremental backups and a full weekly backup

>>I've heard that some people have lost their notes when logging in with their Evernote account on a new device.

I've never had this problem.  
Evernote has always managed to rebuild it's database using the master copy stored on the Evernote servers
Warning: Local Notebooks are not synced to the servers.  You must back them up yourself

Thanks for replying. So, Evernote backs up notebooks to its servers, and it also keeps a local back-up on my hard drive. Is that correct?

How do you do your full weekly back-up? When selecting the "Export" option on Evernote, there are 4 different formats to choose from. Do you reccommend doing a weekly back-up in each format?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Always good to know what OS you're using - Windows and Mac have different backup options.  If you backup your system on a regular basis - which you should - you'll automatically take a copy of your Evernote database and you;d be able to recreate it should the computer have a meltdown.  Backups aren't necessary when you change computer - all you have to do is download Evernote again,  and (using the customer details you already have) log back in.  For some reason folks seem to find it easy to create a brand new account at this point - hence the 'all my notes are missing' panics.  Evernote will recognise your computer as a new connection to the account,  and will download all your notes (except local ones) from the server.

The only occasions where you need a complete backup are if

1. Evernote ever implode somehow.  They have 200M users.  It's not going to happen.
  2. you accidentally completely delete a note that you really REALLY need.  That's quite difficult.  Windows has one,  and Macs have two safety nets that will keep your 'deleted' note for a while.  You can get it back.
  3. your laptop implodes and you do have some local notes.  Exporting local notebooks to ENEX files is the way to go.  How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks

There are a few options around for backup services - Chris Mayo who is still active around here as @GrumpyMonkey did a nice summary of some of the options...

9 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Always good to know what OS you're using - Windows and Mac have different backup options.  If you backup your system on a regular basis - which you should - you'll automatically take a copy of your Evernote database and you;d be able to recreate it should the computer have a meltdown.  Backups aren't necessary when you change computer - all you have to do is download Evernote again,  and (using the customer details you already have) log back in.  For some reason folks seem to find it easy to create a brand new account at this point - hence the 'all my notes are missing' panics.  Evernote will recognise your computer as a new connection to the account,  and will download all your notes (except local ones) from the server.

The only occasions where you need a complete backup are if

1. Evernote ever implode somehow.  They have 200M users.  It's not going to happen.
  2. you accidentally completely delete a note that you really REALLY need.  That's quite difficult.  Windows has one,  and Macs have two safety nets that will keep your 'deleted' note for a while.  You can get it back.
  3. your laptop implodes and you do have some local notes.  Exporting local notebooks to ENEX files is the way to go.  How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks

There are a few options around for backup services - Chris Mayo who is still active around here as @GrumpyMonkey did a nice summary of some of the options...

Hi.

I'm using Windows, and I will definitely make a copy of my Evernote database when I do my usual back-ups.

How can I tell which of my notebooks are local?

• Level 5*
Just now, rosewater said:

If you didn't choose to make a notebook local, it won't be.  New ones default to synced notebooks.  If you do create one or more local notebooks,  I'd suggest putting them in one stack called 'local notebooks' so you don't forget. (Been there,  done that... :()

Just now, gazumped said:

If you didn't choose to make a notebook local, it won't be.  New ones default to synced notebooks.  If you do create one or more local notebooks,  I'd suggest putting them in one stack called 'local notebooks' so you don't forget. (Been there,  done that... :()

Ah okay. Thank you :)

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, rosewater said:

And the local ones are in a lighter font than the synced ones.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, rosewater said:

How do you do your full weekly back-up? When selecting the "Export" option on Evernote, there are 4 different formats to choose from. Do you reccommend doing a weekly back-up in each format?

I use enex format for my weekly backup.  It's compatible with the import feature
Warning: Notebook information is not exported.  Some users use a separate backup for each notebook
I have this scripted on my Mac; there are third party apps to simplify the backup process; for example Backupery

>>and it also keeps a local back-up on my hard drive. Is that correct?

On the Win/Mac platforms, a full copy is maintained on the device (Win user's have an option to override this with Demand Sync)

Mobile user's have an Offline Notebook option.  I have a full copy on my iPad

Archived