Search causes jittery list view

Schooner

Idea

I notice of late an irritating behavior during search:  search results summary ("found notes with....") seems to update over time causing the list view below to jitter, frustrating selection of a result by mouseclick.  Can it be turned off?

/Schooner

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, Schooner said:

I notice of late an irritating behavior during search:  search results summary ("found notes with....") seems to update over time causing the list view below to jitter, frustrating selection of a result by mouseclick.  Can it be turned off?

/Schooner

Do you have Enable on demand sync checked (Tools - Options - Synchronization)?  If you do, there is a lag in getting all search results since part of the search is performed on the servers..  If this is the case, you can avert the issue by un-checking the option and having all your data on your PC, assuming available disk space.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Schooner said:

/Schooner

Tools|Options|Search

Make sure the "Show Advanced Options" is checked.

Now you should see  a "search as you type delay" and the default is 50 miliseconds. Increase it substantially so it takes longer to search after you start typing. 50ms is likely searching as you are typing which causes the jittering. Or set it to 0 and it will not search at all until you press enter.

Thanks, helps esp. "0" setting.  I still find the insertion of the "found notes with..." line distracting - more precisely, the fact that it's insertion shifts the resulting list down interferes with immediate selection from the note list.  I have ~25K notes, I suppose the delayed jitter is immaterial for those with average dbase size.

/Schooner

On 5/24/2017 at 9:32 AM, csihilling said:

Do you have Enable on demand sync checked (Tools - Options - Synchronization)?  If you do, there is a lag in getting all search results since part of the search is performed on the servers..  If this is the case, you can avert the issue by un-checking the option and having all your data on your PC, assuming available disk space.

No - OnDemandSync is off.  Instant sync is on.

Surprised to see no other complaints over this behavior.  Up-to-date EN.WIN 6.5.4.4720.  EN database in default location on main/SSD drive, new/fast PC.  11 notebooks / 24000 notes / 13GB EXB file.  EN-BIZ is also linked, not in present use.  The issue is the appearance - and adjustment over ensuing seconds - of the "found notes with..." line which inserts & updates causing jitter of list-view note titles below, frustrating accurate selection by mouseclick.

/Schooner

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, Schooner said:

No - OnDemandSync is off.  Instant sync is on.

Surprised to see no other complaints over this behavior.  Up-to-date EN.WIN 6.5.4.4720.  EN database in default location on main/SSD drive, new/fast PC.  11 notebooks / 24000 notes / 13GB EXB file.  EN-BIZ is also linked, not in present use.  The issue is the appearance - and adjustment over ensuing seconds - of the "found notes with..." line which inserts & updates causing jitter of list-view note titles below, frustrating accurate selection by mouseclick.

/Schooner

Hmmm.  To be clear, you complete typing your search in the search bar and the search results continue to update (change note count) for some period after that?  Point of reference I have 33000 notes / 16.9GB EXB file on an SSD and a 4 year old Lenovo.  I have the search delay set to 50 ms and just get one set of results when I stop typing (or one each time I pause typing in the search bar).  They don't trickle in.

Only other thing I can think of would be to use the optimize/recreate options in the Ctrl-Help menu.  These options have improved performance for others.  Also, you could turn off the search explanation (Ctrl-F10), but that might be counter productive to knowing the search list is complete. 

Yes:  some aspect of search "continues to update for some period" after hitting return (having set search delay to 0 ms).
The "period" is short - a second or two.  But I am fast.  In that second or two I'm pursuing results, mis-clicking as target note jumps around to escape selection.

I'm not sure search results are trickling in - it may be the ascription of notes to various notebooks and contexts that's delaying things:

e.g. search "insurance" generates list plus annoying byline:  "Found notes with insurance, insurance renewal, insurance referrals, and insurance company in several notebooks".  That response is what's botching things.

The only way to positively defeat the damned thing (which is wholly useless to me) is to specify parameters:  e.g. search "intitle:insurance".  No "found..." babble results, just the qualified list, exactly what I want, instantaneously.

/Schooner

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Schooner said:

e.g. search "insurance" generates list plus annoying byline:  "Found notes with insurance, insurance renewal, insurance referrals, and insurance company in several notebooks".  That response is what's botching things.

Go to Tools - Options - Search and un-check Show assisted search.  I think that will do the trick and remove the annoying byline.

3 hours ago, csihilling said:

Go to Tools - Options - Search and un-check Show assisted search.  I think that will do the trick and remove the annoying byline.

HALLELUJAH!  That did the trick.  Thanks csihilling -

/Schooner

Archived