Evernote for Windows title has in email address.

Using Evernote Basic for Windows, when I select a note, for example Projects in Notebook Stack, it shows up in the Windows title format as follows:- Projects - my email address - Evernote. How can I get my e-mail address not to be visible in the Windows title? It does this for every folder I select.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Can you give us a screenshot of the issue?  I can't work out whether you're clicking on a note,  in which event you should see only the note title - but Stacks don't contain notes,  they only contain notebooks.  And if you're clicking on a notebook you should only get the notebook name on screen.

Or are you using the browser version on Evernote? - Although I can't see any email headings there either.  Confused.

PS - Evernote doesn't have 'folders' as such.

• Level 5*

I see this in the current public release for Windows (9.5.4.4720). My account email address appears in the Windows title bar of the Evernote client, along with the current notebook/stack name (or All Notebooks or Trash, if one of those is the current context).

I haven't tried this with the current beta.

• Level 5*

Ah - is this the little person icon on the far left with a drop-down menu to switch notes?  If you go online to Personal Settings and find the 'contact' field,  it's freely editable there.

I changed mine because I could.  Same in the current beta.

Edit:  if that's not what we're talking about here,  can we have a screen shot?  I'm fairly confused at the moment.  (Nothing new there..)

• Level 5*

@gazumped :

This is Windows client, not the web client.

It's the Windows title bar on the main application (separate note windows just have the note title plus the string "- Evernote"). The one that appears on the top of nearly every application, and which typically contains the application name, along with the controls to minimize, maximize, and exit the application. You have used Windows before, right? Are you pub posting??? :) 

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, IJK said:

Using Evernote Basic for Windows, when I select a note, for example Projects in Notebook Stack, it shows up in the Windows title format as follows:- Projects - my email address - Evernote. How can I get my e-mail address not to be visible in the Windows title? It does this for every folder I select.

Yeah, title in main EN window appears to be notebookname - username - Evernote.  Would need to change user name, but think about who else will see it.  This may help - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314298-How-to-change-your-account-username.  Be careful.

Thanks for the suggestions. To clarify, I am indeed using Windows client on my laptop so it shows up in the main Title bar at the top whenever I sign in to EN and click on any or all notebooks (not folder). I can't post a screenshot as my e-mail address will be open to the public!

It would appear EN is using my e-mail address as the username. I don't want to change my e-mail address, I just want it not to be visible. Before posting this topic I did try to change the account name by following the EN help instruction. I inserted what I thought would be a username in the 'Contact' field as advised but all this did was changed the name on the 'little person icon' in the EN Toolbar.  The name on the Windows title bar remained the same and still has the e-mail address on it.

It seems whenever I am using EN, I guess I will just have to be careful who is looking over my shoulder.:ph34r:

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, jefito said:

@gazumped :

This is Windows client, not the web client.

It's the Windows title bar on the main application (separate note windows just have the note title plus the string "- Evernote"). The one that appears on the top of nearly every application, and which typically contains the application name, along with the controls to minimize, maximize, and exit the application. You have used Windows before, right? Are you pub posting??? :) 

I wish I was pub posting - I'll file that for later...

I finally get which bit of the window we're talking about.  Maybe I should go to bed or something...  :blush:

59261ad09c741_ScreenClip4.thumb.png.5aef64346b79162ff4448ee2321d5f5c.png

• Level 5*

I thought about it...  but then I should have seen that.  In fact I have seen it every day for years - which is why it just didn't register earlier... ;)

Reminds me of the time when I ordered a huge print of leaflets about injury claims.  When they were delivered the printer showed me the original artwork that said INURY CLAIMS in a very large and black and career-denting font - and then said 'we fixed it for you before we printed them'.... sometimes the obvious just isn't!! 

(I still have the original artwork...^_^)

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, gazumped said:

the original artwork that said INURY CLAIMS in a very large and black and career-denting font

At least you are not alone.     ;)

ScreenClip.png.48febfce46a298a653caf38f7cd5774a.png

• Level 5
On 5/24/2017 at 2:11 PM, IJK said:

Thanks for the suggestions. To clarify, I am indeed using Windows client on my laptop so it shows up in the main Title bar at the top whenever I sign in to EN and click on any or all notebooks (not folder). I can't post a screenshot as my e-mail address will be open to the public!

It would appear EN is using my e-mail address as the username. I don't want to change my e-mail address, I just want it not to be visible. Before posting this topic I did try to change the account name by following the EN help instruction. I inserted what I thought would be a username in the 'Contact' field as advised but all this did was changed the name on the 'little person icon' in the EN Toolbar.  The name on the Windows title bar remained the same and still has the e-mail address on it.

It seems whenever I am using EN, I guess I will just have to be careful who is looking over my shoulder.:ph34r:

Meanwhile, back to the OP.... Note that this info shows up not only in the window title bar, but also in the taskbar button for the program. I tried changing the "Contact" name in Profile. For me, this won't even change the "little person" identifier. (I had to customize my toolbar to check this. I never use that icon, since I work alone and, well, I know who I am, on my good days.)

I don't know for sure, but I think Evernote must be feeding the login ID, i.e., the e-mail address, to Windows as part of what is displayed in the title bar (but only for the main program window, not individual note windows, and also not in the Web version). I can't imagine why it thinks it should do so. I don't believe I have any other programs that do this. It's not a bug, since it's the intended behavior; but it's bad behavior and ought to be removed, IMHO.

• Level 5*
On 5/26/2017 at 4:17 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Note that this info shows up not only in the window title bar, but also in the taskbar button for the program

I think that that's true for all Windows programs in general. I did notice that Chrome with multiple tabs open doesn't have an actual title bar, but the one used is the title bar that would be used for the current tab, if it were open in its own window.

On 5/26/2017 at 4:17 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I don't know for sure, but I think Evernote must be feeding the login ID, i.e., the e-mail address, to Windows as part of what is displayed in the title bar (but only for the main program window, not individual note windows, and also not in the Web version).

Native Windows applications can set their window title (the web client is a browser application, not a native application). For the application that I work on, we do it to show, e.g. current application version information, plus current document name. User email seems an odd choice; perhaps it's useful for folks who use more than one account; since your email is your account login, that's a unique identifier for that context. Other than that, I don't know...

3 hours ago, jefito said:

I think that that's true for all Windows programs in general.

Yes, the taskbar simply shows a windows title.

We specifically add the email address to the title bar to make it clear which database is open. The title is formatted as "Scope - account - Evernote" (scope usually means which notebook).

• Level 5
1 hour ago, dconnet said:

Yes, the taskbar simply shows a windows title.

We specifically add the email address to the title bar to make it clear which database is open. The title is formatted as "Scope - account - Evernote" (scope usually means which notebook).

This is helpful to know, and it does make sense. However, as @IJK said, this leaves one's e-mail address exposed in the title bar, which could be undesirable, especially when working in a public place. Is there any way to identify the account by something other than the associated e-mail address? For instance, I notice that the actual name of my database files on my hard drive is simply my username (so it could be something like "davefinortener.exb"), not my e-mail address. Why couldn't that show up in the title bar? Still not ideal, but if something has to show up, at least it's not obvious how to start harassing me. ;) Best of all, I think, would be to make it optional to have the account displayed at all, since people who use only one account never need this information anyway. What do you think, @dconnet?

You can change the email address to the account name (what you see in the database file name). We do not expose this via the settings, but it is in the registry (for now): ShowAccountEmail (DWORD) Set to 0 to change to account name.

• Level 5
On 5/30/2017 at 4:01 PM, dconnet said:

You can change the email address to the account name (what you see in the database file name). We do not expose this via the settings, but it is in the registry (for now): ShowAccountEmail (DWORD) Set to 0 to change to account name.

OK, thanks. Not much on registry editing, but I'll keep it in mind, especially for my laptop. It'd be nice if it could be changed in settings.

Archived