EN hangs when editing a note

I often create notes in other apps (Word, Bean, textedit) and then bring them into EN. Then I may do some further editing as I use the info. I find that if it is a larger note (200-300KB), after I input an edit, the app will hang. It may last for a second or up to 15 sec. This does not affect the other running apps. Any idea on how to get around this problem?

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Daderdog said:

I often create notes in other apps (Word, Bean, textedit) and then bring them into EN. Then I may do some further editing as I use the info.

Which platform; Win/Mac/IOS/...

I'm a fan of using other editors on my Mac, and just using simple notes in EN
My method of "bringing them into EN" is as attachments to a note.
Further editing involves exporting the attachment and using the native editor
So far, I haven't noticed a problem with response time

Thanks for the rapid response. I am sure that would work, but it seems that would only work if I never have to edit the note once it is in EN. It seems that using your method, I would have to export the note, edit it, and then bring it back as a new note in EN. Can you suggest a solution that is native to EN where I could add or remove a paragraph and not have to export a note or have the engine hang?

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Daderdog said:

It seems that using your method, I would have to export the note, edit it, and then bring it back as a new note in EN. Can you suggest a solution that is native to EN where I could add or remove a paragraph and not have to export a note or have the engine hang?

On my Mac, I simply right click the atachment for an "open in" menu.  The export/import is handled automatically; the note is updated when I'm finished editing

• Level 5*

I don't understand what is meant by "bringing a file into Evernote".

Any time you open a file from Evernote, in either Mac or Windows, Evernote will need to create a file system version of the attachment on disk, and activate the handling application that edits  / views that file. With a large file, that can take some time.

As on the Mac, the Windows Evernote takes care of this automatically, and should replace the old attachment data with the contents of the edited file.

I "bring" notes I've created in other apps into EN two ways and the results seem the same. Either I create a note in EN and then copy/paste the contents of the document I created in (Bean, Word, textedit, etc). Or I create and save the note, and then in the Finder, drag the note into the dock and drop it in EN. In both cases, the text of the note remains editable in EN (pdfs are of course different). The problem is - at some file size which I cannot determine - editing the note causes EN to hang. This is not a show stopper. But it is annoying as it interferes with my workflow.

Archived