Shortcut Ctrl-Shift-B does not work (bullet enumeration format)

The shortcut combination for the enumeration format (bullets) Ctrl-Shift-B does not work on my system (Windows 10 b1703). Other combinations work, e. g. Ctrl-Shift-C for checkboxes.

I have no idea to make it work. I killed every other process to find out which program "steals" the shortkey combination, but I did not find any. On another Windows 10 system (b1607) everything works as expected. Latest updates installed. I ran out of ideas... (Lenovo T510).

Thanks for any help,

Thorsten

• Level 5*

Well done for finding the conflict.  Sadly there's no option for changing the Evernote version but if you still need to,  you might find that a text expander like Phrase Express,  which includes keyboard macros,  might be able to get 'around' whatever series of keystrokes / mouse movements you need to make with one keypress.  ( That isn't Ctrl Shift B )

• Level 5*

Shame on Lenovo for stealing this hotkey without providing a means to change it. Evernote has its own set of system hotkeys (for e.g. the screen clipper), but you can modify them if they conflict with something else, or prefer a different hotkey.

23 hours ago, jefito said:

Shame on Lenovo for stealing this hotkey without providing a means to change it. Evernote has its own set of system hotkeys (for e.g. the screen clipper), but you can modify them if they conflict with something else, or prefer a different hotkey.

No. "Thinkpad Fan Control" ist not a product from Lenovo. And of course I could deactivate it to get around this issue.

http://www.tpfancontrol.com/

BTW The hotkeys for e.g. bullet enumeration Shift-Ctrl-B cannot be changed inside Evernote as you suggested. Only a few system hotkeys can be changed. It would be quite more comfortable it it would be possible to change every hotkey.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Thorsten Albrecht said:

No. "Thinkpad Fan Control" ist not a product from Lenovo. And of course I could deactivate it to get around this issue.

Fair enough -- my assumption that that was a Lenovo product, and my fault.

1 hour ago, Thorsten Albrecht said:

BTW The hotkeys for e.g. bullet enumeration Shift-Ctrl-B cannot be changed inside Evernote as you suggested.

I never suggested any such thing.

What I actually said was this: "Evernote has its own set of system hotkeys (for e.g. the screen clipper), but you can modify them if they conflict with something else, or prefer a different hotkey." with the relevant terms in boldface. Hotkeys like Ctrl+Shift+B are internal to Evernote only, and while it would be nice to have the ability to change them, they won't cause any conflicts with other programs (the conflict reported here is caused by the "Thinkpad Fan Control" application, not by Evernote)). System hotkeys, on the other hand, can cause conflicts with other programs, and Evernote's set of system hotkeys are modifiable, and correctly so.

Ctrl+Shift+B is what Windows calls an accelerator - accelerators are built into the exe. Accelerator combos are local to a program and will in work when that program has focus. Hotkeys are system level hooks - whoever registers first, wins. We only allow you to tweak Hotkey assignments, not accelerators. When other programs register a hotkey that conflicts with our accelerator, there's not much we can do - we don't even know it was hijacked.

While technically we could allow the user to change accelerators, it would require a large technical effort on our part. (I just looked, we've currently got 122 different accelerator combinations)

BTW: While googling to see if there is some way to find out what hotkeys are in use (answer: no), I came across a reference to tpfancontrol:

CTRL+SHIFT+B was blocked by TPFanControl. TPFanControl has an configuration file C:\Program Files\TPFanControl\TPFanControl.ini where the Hotkeys can be disabled.

I don't know if it's still applicable, but worth a shot...

22 hours ago, dconnet said:

Ctrl+Shift+B is what Windows calls an accelerator - accelerators are built into the exe. Accelerator combos are local to a program and will in work when that program has focus. Hotkeys are system level hooks - whoever registers first, wins.

Thanks for clarifying the terminology.

But: "Whoever registers first, wins" - seems not to work. I startet Thinkpad Fan Control manually after starting Evernote (same user account). The hotkey blocks immediately the accelerator in Evernote. 

Thorsten

On 5/31/2017 at 10:31 AM, Thorsten Albrecht said:

But: "Whoever registers first, wins" - seems not to work. I startet Thinkpad Fan Control manually after starting Evernote (same user account). The hotkey blocks immediately the accelerator in Evernote. 

Registration applies to hotkeys only. ctrl+shift+b is not a hotkey in Evernote. It is an accelerator. TFC will affect *every* program that uses ctrl+shift+b as an accelerator. That's how hotkeys work. (And why I consider hardcoded hotkeys that can't be changed or turned off to be pure evil!)

• 3 months later...

Thanks so much for this tip, finally I have my dear ctrl+shift+b back in my life... (also used for showing/hiding the quick bookmarks field in Google Chrome).

Please make sure the Hotkeys variable in the "C:\Program Files\TPFanControl\TPFanControl.ini" is set to 0 (also restart TPFanControl).

ScreenClip.png

ScreenClip-2.png

Archived