Who decided it was a good idea to replace note with 'cannot connect' message?

Recently I've received messages that my note cannot autosave in the web app. That's no problem, I'll just try again later. 

The problem is that this message REPLACES my note, and so anything before the last autosave is COMPLETELY lost! I'm not really sure how this passed any kind of quality testing. I would have thought data loss was at the top of Evernote's priority list.

This has happened probably about 8 times now over the last 4 months and I've brushed it off every time thinking it would be fixed soon. Not so.

Has anyone else experienced this atrocious bug?

1 hour ago, OffTheRails said:

Recently I've received messages that my note cannot autosave in the web app. That's no problem, I'll just try again later. 

The problem is that this message REPLACES my note, and so anything before the last autosave is COMPLETELY lost! I'm not really sure how this passed any kind of quality testing. I would have thought data loss was at the top of Evernote's priority list.

This has happened probably about 8 times now over the last 4 months and I've brushed it off every time thinking it would be fixed soon. Not so.

Has anyone else experienced this atrocious bug?

Premium rate paying customers do have the benefit of restoring previous copies which I suppose does not apply in your case. Seemingly paying for one month premium would be sufficient to recover overwritten notes. 

I think I had a similar experience recently with just my note title but  no picture . As it was a new note,there was nothing to overwrite.

Just stored the link and got away without loss.

I am a premium customer and the backups don't make a difference.

The note isn't completely overwritten, it just discards whatever I've written since the last autosave. Randomly losing paragraphs is extremely annoying. If it was destroying entire notes I would have closed my account a long time ago.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I appreciate this is frustrating,  but it's not uncommon with any web based forum,  including this one.  Browsers are very good at what they do,  but they're designed to show web content,  not preserve your last entry in case there's a connection problem.  A lot of what goes on in the browser is sandboxed away from local memory and disk storage so that it doesn't represent a security issue. If you're on a weak or intermittent connection - or someone else in your location is being greedy with bandwidth - the browser can't phone home to ask for help it just does what's coded in its own OS to tell you (or the service it's running) that something bad happened.

I've lost lengthy posts like this one numerous times when I forget to create them first in the installed Evernote app and copy/ paste them into the page - same with Facebook,  LinkedIn and other forums.  It's just good practice to create new text in (or copy paste existing text into) a stable offline application and make any changes there,  insulated from any internet 'weather' that might interrupt an online session.

Given that Evernote is on the other end of the connection that just dropped,  I don't see what they can do to help users avoid losing the content that was typed but not yet sent to them.  Browser software engineers are very picky about how much access third-party add-in providers are given to the environment they use.  Evernote are helping by improving sync processes - and maybe in other ways they haven't discussed, but I prefer to avoid the risk as much as possible.

Archived