access to Evernote via Windows administrator account

• Level 5

You should discuss this with your administrator and find out if there are any corporate policies regarding storing private personal data on their hardware.

The web access would be slightly safer, but keep in mind, the company controls your internet access while you are in the office.

Someone else might have some tips to keep the administrator from viewing your data when running a company laptop on a company network.

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, OlekJot said:

Is there any way to protect it? Should I use Evernote Web instead?

Not the strongest of protection, but if you log out of EN after using it every time your administrator, or anyone for that matter, would need to know your EN password to easily get at your EN data.  Using the web version at work on our laptop is definitely more secure relative to your data.  IAC, a conversation with someone at work is in order - from is it okay to use the company computer for EN and if it is, how to ensure the data is purged in the event of a separation of you and the company.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, OlekJot said:

Is there any way to protect it? Should I use Evernote Web instead?

At least two options:

1. Use web instead, preferably in an incognito window. That way nothing is even stored in the cache.
  2. Install Evernote locally and install the database in a Veracrypt encrypted file system. It is pretty easy to set up.

Whatever you do, don't assume "logging off" of the local Evernote install does anything. It disconnects you from the account, but your database is sitting there unencrypted and pretty easy to read with other file utilities.

That said, as others have mentioned, see what you are allowed to store on a company laptop. An admin can get to anything on the laptop, even remotely. Doesn't have to be sitting at the machine. Option 1 above puts nothing on the laptop for them to get. Option 2 above encrypts what is on the laptop so even if they copied the Veracrypt blob, it wouldn't be of any use to them.

• Level 5*

Option 3: access your Evernote account via a mobile app. Don't use the company's wifi.

Option 4: set up a new, separate Evernote account for work usage (checking that it's allowed to do that, per above), and then you can share notebooks from your personal account to the work account. Only share notebooks that you don't care are visible to your work folks. This is what I do.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

Option 4: set up a new, separate Evernote account for work usage (checking that it's allowed to do that, per above), and then you can share notebooks from your personal account to the work account. Only share notebooks that you don't care are visible to your work folks. This is what I do.

This can still expose the shared content to the local machine, and thus the administrator, unless you encrypt the local database, in which case sharing isn't necessary. Other than you are being extremely selective in what is actually on the local machine.

Option 5: Set up a VM on the machine and install Evernote inside that. A bit more trouble, but it is an isolated container. I think Veracrypt is easier, but a VM is another option depending on your resources. (Knowledge of how to set up a VM, having an image of a source OS, etc.)

• Level 5*

Option 6: Install EN per normal, but move the location of the database to a USB you take with you, one that is preferably encryuted. Bitlocker, Veracrypt, etc. You can do this in Tools|Options|General. Down at the bottom is a place to change where the database is stored. You should have the USB key in place and unlocked before launching Evernote. If you launch EN and the USB key is not there, the settings will get messed up and will think you need to log in again. Nothing unfixable, just annoying.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, EdH said:

This can still expose the shared content to the local machine

Yes, hence the caveat "Only share notebooks that you don't care are visible to your work folks". I share two personal notebooks to my work account, and they are harmless. For example, one is a large-ish Development notebook, where I collect articles about software development tools, techniques, etc. I prefer to keep them in a personal notebook, because many articles would apply to any place that I might work.

Archived