Public URL of duplicated notes does not work

Hi, 

I had a note, the pubic URL worked fine, I duplicated the one and its new public URL does not work. Is this possibly a bug? I look forward to your reply. I'm running the latest version as of 2017-05-09, i.e. 6.5.4.4720 (304720)

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Ben 

• Level 5*

Hi.  The URL of a note is individual to that note.  If you created a duplicate then the copy would have a different URL.  What happened to the original?  If it was moved to a different notebook that would also change its own URL.

Thanks @gazumped, to be more precise, let me explain how to reproduce this perceived bug: 

* create a new note, call this N1, the public link, call this L1, works as expected

* duplicate N1, call the new note N2, the public of N2, call this L2, does not work and give message "The URL provided does not correspond to a valid shared note. This may be caused by a typo in the link, or the note owner may have made it private.

Can anyone help? 

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, lingojourney said:

duplicate N1, call the new note N2, the public of N2, call this L2, does not work and give message "The URL provided does not correspond to a valid shared note.

Can you explain how you produced the new link L2

• Level 5*

Just tried this -

Created note N1,  used copy note URL to get link.  Checked that the link works.

Duplicated Note.

Changed title to N2,  used copy note URL to get (different) link.  This link doesn't work.

Verified that the duplicated note is public.  Tried again..

5914c8c425ae6_ScreenClip2.png.9f2580aaf98fe97ab1453a27f110b53a.png

5914c8eddd880_ScreenClip3.png.e308c734ef76cd80f6bab595d867c265.png

Hmmn.

• Level 5*

I poked that around a bit,  but it does seem like a genuine gold-plated 100% bug.  I created another new note N3 and check that URL worked,  which it does.  So short term - create new notes,  don't use copy or duplicate.  (You can still copy the content of an existing note to a new one.)

Meantime,  I'll link this thread to the release thread of 6.5.4 to get the devs attention in case they don't notice this thread for a while...

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Just tried this -

Created note N1,  used copy note URL to get link.  Checked that the link works.

Duplicated Note.

Changed title to N2,  used copy note URL to get (different) link.  This link doesn't work.

Verified that the duplicated note is public.  Tried again..

Hmmn.

Was there a sync in there somewhare?

You need the sync so Note2 is created as a new note

• Level 5*
Just now, DTLow said:

Was there a sync in there somewhare?

You need the sync so Note2 is created as a new note

Yes - I synced to get the new URL for the second note.  Followed the same steps with another new note as above,  and it works fine;  but the orphaned copy is still hidden away somewhere...  :(

Archived