[Bug report] Can't stop Evernote opening at login

Daniel Reeders

Idea

Bit of an odd one, this.

Evernote keeps opening when I start up my Mac and login. I don't want it to. Happy for Evernote helper to sit in the background, but I don't want the program to open.

I've turned off 'Open in Login' on the Dock item. I've done the Preferences -> Users and Groups -> Login item and only the Helper is listed there. I'm quitting the program when it opens, not just closing its windows, so it shouldn't be a 'Reopen windows when logging back in' function of OSX.

I barely use Endnote, because at one point it made it really annoying to access notebooks in the free interface, and it just lost me forever at that point. So I'm likely to just migrate my notes elsewhere and uninstall it. But if I'm having this problem, other people probably are, too, people who maybe aren't as jaded as me and could be saved as potential users.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, Daniel Reeders said:

Evernote keeps opening when I start up my Mac and login. I don't want it to. Happy for Evernote helper to sit in the background, but I don't want the program to open.

The Evernote auto start is a known problem.  

You can search the forum for solution ideas but my impression is that it's an outstanding issue the developers are working on

• Level 5*

Odd. I don't have this problem. I love EN and use it daily, but I never want it autostarting on my mac, and having it disabled by not having "Open at login" enabled has taken care of it for me. I wonder what is going on with some users where it starts anyway?

On 28/04/2017 at 2:19 PM, Daniel Reeders said:

Bit of an odd one, this.

I've turned off 'Open in Login' on the Dock item. I've done the Preferences -> Users and Groups -> Login item and only the Helper is listed there. I'm quitting the program when it opens, not just closing its windows, so it shouldn't be a 'Reopen windows when logging back in' function of OSX.

I barely use Endnote, because at one point it made it really annoying to access notebooks in the free interface, and it just lost me forever at that point. So I'm likely to just migrate my notes elsewhere and uninstall it. But if I'm having this problem, other people probably are, too, people who maybe aren't as jaded as me and could be saved as potential users.

On 28/04/2017 at 2:53 PM, DTLow said:

The Evernote auto start is a known problem.  

You can search the forum for solution ideas but my impression is that it's an outstanding issue the developers are working on

really REALLY annoying. I'm a long time Evernote supporter. I have been a personal subscriber from very early on in the company's life, have even introduced my company to it and am fighting a rear guard action against my IT department who want to migrate to OneNote. What more do you want from me Evernote? Do you really have to force yourself on me each time I open my Mac too? Being unable to disable the autostart through the usual channels (system prefs, ~/library folder etc) feels like a real slap in the face.   

This issue has been driving me so insane that I've all but stopped using Evernote and turned to the competition. If I have to, I force quit on login, but that's hardly a solution. Evernote takes an eternity to open and kicks other, faster apps into the spinning-wheel twilight zone while it does its thing. Stupid bug, huge waste of time and money.

Archived