Photo adjustments capability needed

GoForJoe

Idea

First of all, it took me forever to find out how to crop a photo in Evernote. Put "crop photo" into the Search menu and nothing really relevant pops up. Please fix this. You call it "annotating" a photo. I call it crop. Ask any photographer if they annotate or crop.

Second, if I have to crop, say, 30 photos, for instance, I have to manually pick each photo from the annotate menu, do my crop, save, go back to annotate menu and repeat. You could cut down on the number of steps required if I could just go to "next" photo (EN automatically saves my previous crop) and do my adjust. Next, adjust, next, adjust, next, adjust, etc. EASY, instead of always forced to return to the little annotate icon to pick another photo.

Third, I take a lot of photos sitting in class of whiteboards and TV displays and LED projections. A lot of times they can be hard to read because the color balance is way off, or the contrast is low, or color is washed out.  PLEASE add a set of simple tools where I can adjust the quality of the photo. AND be sure to enable me to apply that adjustment to each photo with a simple paste command. I do not want to have to do it manually again for each of those numerous photos in that notebook.

Thank you, I hope this will be forwarded to a development team there.

1 reply to this idea

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, GoForJoe said:

Second, if I have to crop, say, 30 photos, for instance, I have to manually pick each photo from the annotate menu, do my crop, save, go back to annotate menu and repeat.

. . .

Third, I take a lot of photos sitting in class of whiteboards and TV displays and LED projections. A lot of times they can be hard to read because the color balance is way off, or the contrast is low, or color is washed out.  PLEASE add a set of simple tools where I can adjust the quality of the photo.

Joe, sorry to hear about your photo woes.  As you have discovered, Evernote is NOT well designed for photo editing.  Evernote provides a few simple tools to aid in the occasional need, but all of the tools are far from best-of-breed.  I don't really expect that to change since photo editing is not in the list of primary purposes or use cases that Evernote has advertised.

The same basic issue, lack of advanced tools, can be said for most parts of Evernote, like writing, word processing, outlining, spreadsheets, complex table construction, etc.  For each of these, including photo editing, we need to goto/use tools designed for that purpose.  I'm sure you must have a number of great photo editing tools if you do a lot of photography.  Evernote gives us a basic, low-end, rich-text editor that is missing many, many features I'm use to having in word processors like MS Word.  So I've learned to use Evernote as a simple note taker and web capture tool (which it does very well).  For more complicated stuff, like fancy tables, editing images, etc, I use my other tools.

My suggestion is to do as much photo editing as you can BEFORE you attach the photos to Evernote.  Most photo editing tools have a batch processing feature, so you could apply the same edits to all/selected photo files in a folder.  Then attach them to Evernote.

While Evernote has a PDF annotation tool, I never use it because it is too limited and clumsy.  I have pro PDF tools I use, so I open the PDF (in a EN Note) in my chosen tool to annotate.  I also scan a lot of documents to PDF, and I do all my processing BEFORE I attach to Evernote.  I have found this works very well.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, and I am NOT in any way associated with Evernote, other than being a long-time user with a Premium account.  My comments above are intended to provide you with a good workaround until/if Evernote provides the features you want.  I don't expect these photo editing features any time soon, if at all.  But we never know for sure.  All it takes is for a new senior manager (CEO?) to come onboard who really likes photo editing.

Good luck with your photos.

Archived