Evernote Web White Screen of Death

Gregory P. Martin

Idea

I am using Evernote web with Firefox on a Windows 7 box.  After submitting username and password, the web version will load a white page and stop.  Any ideas to try?  Clipper app still seams to be working.  I have not tried to load the local app to my windows based computer.  I have tried to log in from several computers and several browsers and still got the same result.

Dead in Water, G.

enotecrash.jpg

• Like 1

15 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Any special reason why you haven't tried the installed app?  It's a lot more powerful than the web version.  I use Firefox and Windows 10 and haven't seen any WSDs lately..

I have also been having this problem with Evernote web for a couple of months, initially just with FireFox, but now with Chrome as well. Can't install a second desktop version on my work computer, so this is turning into a real dealbreaker. The ability to have an account that I could use across my personal devices and at work without leaving my personal info on a work computer was the whole point of Evernote.

This problem has been dragging on for months despite numerous reports and several updates, none of which resolved the problem. Looks like I am going to have to find another program. I can't spend 15 minutes dickering with Evernote every time I fire up my work computer, and I can't help feeling (giving gazumped's post above) that this is something Evernote did on purpose (or at least, isn't very motivated to fix) to drive more people to the paid version, since you can only have one desktop installation with the free version. Bad strategy, people. Consumers tend not to buy things that don't work.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

this is something Evernote did on purpose (or at least, isn't very motivated to fix) to drive more people to the paid version, since you can only have one desktop installation with the free version.

Not sure how you got there from anything I said.  If you're running Evernote from work it's likely the business firewall is blocking traffic.  You might need the help of your IT department to find out what's allowed.  It is possible to run several free accounts at the same time - only two can be connected to the account at the same time;  just disconnect one to add another.  And Evernote can't fix what they don't know about (and may not be in their control anyway) unless you reach out to Support on Twitter.

• Like 1

I got that from your promoting the desktop app instead of working on the problem with the web app. Free accounts only permit one installation of the desktop app, so that becomes a promotion of the paid version to people who already have the desktop application installed on another computer.

I work for a very small nonprofit. We have one computer, and I'm the IT department. Evernote used to work fine here, and we haven't changed anything on our end. As for reporting the issue, Gregory P. Martin (the OP) did that more than 3 weeks ago, and I seconded the question, which has yet to receive a response from Evernote.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

Free accounts only permit one installation of the desktop app, so that becomes a promotion of the paid version to people who already have the desktop application installed on another computer.

This is specifically not true. You may install Evernote on as many devices as you please. There is a limitation of Basic accounts in that you can have two devices active (that is syncing to that account) at one time; if you want to use a third device, you'll need to deactivate one of your two active devices. Please see: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/218558068-Devices-FAQ

On 4/30/2017 at 10:54 AM, ElizabethB said:

I can't help feeling (giving gazumped's post above) that this is something Evernote did on purpose (or at least, isn't very motivated to fix) to drive more people to the paid version, since you can only have one desktop installation with the free version

Again, the statement "you can only have one desktop installation with the free version" is not true. Also, Evernote isn't breaking the web version to drive more people to the paid versions, though I'll grant you that they don't seem to putting a lot of effort into updating it to be more competitive with the desktop applications; I think that that is unfortunate. I don't use it all that often, but I do occasionally, and I've never encountered any "white screen of death" (accessing both a free account and a paid account, though I also use Chrome, not Firefox); it's hard to tell what's going wrong in your case. But many paid users also use the web application; there's just no reason for them to break it.

Regardless, what gazumped said is absolutely true: the desktop applications are much more fully featured than the web client (and the mobile apps, too, for that matter).

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

I got that from your promoting the desktop app instead of working on the problem with the web app. Free accounts only permit one installation of the desktop app, so that becomes a promotion of the paid version to people who already have the desktop application installed on another computer.

I work for a very small nonprofit. We have one computer, and I'm the IT department. Evernote used to work fine here, and we haven't changed anything on our end. As for reporting the issue, Gregory P. Martin (the OP) did that more than 3 weeks ago, and I seconded the question, which has yet to receive a response from Evernote.

Hi again. 

First,  we're a (mainly) user-supported forum.  If you'd like to talk to Evernote Support contact them on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new if you're a subscriber,  or Twitter if not - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  the rest of us chickens are just users with suggestions,  trying to help out.  Evernote don't usually respond to individual queries here.

Second there is no restriction on installations of the desktop app - only that a max of two devices can be connected at the same time - so you may have to disconnect one device temporarily to connect a third,  and then connect that to add the original back.

If you only have one computer however,  that's all moot anyways.  I'd suggest you uninstall your current app,  restart and reinstall and try again.  If Evernote still doesn't start, please let us know exactly what happens.

That's very good advice from Gazumped.

If you need help from other users, this is your place.

If you need help from Evernote, this is the last place in the world you will get it. Take the individual approach and contact them directly.

Good luck! :)

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Glennie said:

That's very good advice from Gazumped.

If you need help from other users, this is your place.

If you need help from Evernote, this is the last place in the world you will get it. Take the individual approach and contact them directly.

Good luck! :)

A tad cynical there I fear @Glennie - Evernote staff do lean in to help out quite often these days,  but they normally only comment on bugs and feature issues,  not on individual technical problems.  That's a Support issue,  and Evernote don't want to pay for a bunch of support agents and then do their work for them by doing fixes on the forums. 

Plus the sort of detail you need to give 'proper' technical assistance is more than you would want to share on a public forum - not to mention the instances when payment issues turn out to be a lack of customer cash rather than a system fault.  Embarrassing conversations are usually best held in private.

It's entirely up to a poster here whether they're willing to listen to the occasionally demented rantings of a 'power' user (can't speak for the rest of the guys - that's just me) - or they'd prefer to get Evernote involved.  But it seems to me that if you look for it,  there's a lot of help to be had for this product,  a lot of which comes from the company.

• Like 1
On 4/24/2017 at 4:20 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Any special reason why you haven't tried the installed app?  It's a lot more powerful than the web version.  I use Firefox and Windows 10 and haven't seen any WSDs lately..

Work machine - see "Lack of selective synch" as to why I don't have the app installed.

On 4/30/2017 at 6:07 PM, gazumped said:

Not sure how you got there from anything I said.  If you're running Evernote from work it's likely the business firewall is blocking traffic.  You might need the help of your IT department to find out what's allowed.  It is possible to run several free accounts at the same time - only two can be connected to the account at the same time;  just disconnect one to add another.  And Evernote can't fix what they don't know about (and may not be in their control anyway) unless you reach out to Support on Twitter.

Nope, if I turn off my VPN and use my home network, I get the same symptoms.

Edited by malcolm.b.anderson
messed up original editing
  • Level 5*
15 minutes ago, malcolm.b.anderson said:

Nope, if I turn off my VPN and use my home network, I get the same symptoms.

My comment there was more about the suggestion that white screens were an Evernote plot than a serious answer to a tech question.  I gather you're having the same issue - what version of Evernote do you have?

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, malcolm.b.anderson said:

Yes, I'm having the same issues, but it's with the web client on Chrome.

But all of the sudden I can't use it on Chrome.  I'm assuming that Chrome had an update and that's what broke it.

Ah.  Chrome... 

Don't know about the app (because I don't use it), but what worked for me to log in to the website was stopping my avast web shield, which is basically like a firewall. Never caused a problem until today but there's a first time for (you know the rest)...