How do you feel about the Apple Pencil integration? Am I the only one who cares?

WannabeHolmes

Idea

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I use the Apple Pencil on my iPad 

I wasn't aware there was much integration with Evernote between the typical stylus operation.

I'm satisfied with the Pencil's use in Evernote, but get more use in drawing apps where there is  integration

My use in Evernote is standard stylus funtions; point and tap.  I prefer the hard point over the passive stylus.

On 2017-04-20 at 0:21 AM, WannabeHolmes said:

All the angry energy as of late has been focused on the 8.0 update (understandably). But I'm curious to see how other people feel about the Apple Pencil integration. Does it work for you? How do you use it?

Can you elaborate on your expectation of the level of integration you are looking for? 

If you are referring to an enhancement to the ability to draw within or over text within your notes, I am all for that, but I suspect it will be a long time before we see that level of 'upgrade' to the present note-taking.

I bought the iPad Pro 10.5 with the Apple Pencil.  I find the pencil really useful.  I wanted it for a specific need (annotating pdfs) but I like using it for other purposes also.  It would be helpful to write directly on Evernote notes with the pencil.  

I tried using Penultimate with the Apple pencil.  It's a disappointment because my fingers still make marks on the screen if I happen to touch the screen while using the pencil or scrolling.  This doesn't happen with Notability or Goodnotes or other apps.  

At the very least, Penultimate should be optimized for the Apple Pencil.  Also, it is lacking in features compared to Notability or Goodnotes, which should be corrected (for example, can't import PDFs to it).  As it is, I have to use apps which don't integrate well with Evernote and which will lead me to use Evernote less.  I've been a premium user for a number of years and have used Evernote a lot.  

I've struggled, also, for a long time with Apple Pencil (and related) support in Evernote and tried to note it to them on more than one occasion.  Stray marks are very common, and, unfortunately the marks are almost always grouped with the real markings I'm trying to make.  I can't independently delete them.  These stray marks do not happen in Notability and GoodNotes.  Unfortunately, neither of these support tags at the moment.  GoodNotes indicates they're working on it, though.  Marks also get oddly smoothed by Evernote, which removes some of the details I'm trying to create.

Most of my Apple Pencil work is on PDFs.  The largest issue that I have is that if I make a bunch of marks on the PDF, don't save it and move to another app (or more likely a few), I'll lose everything I've done.  Evernote isn't good at auto-saving a working draft.  If the app gets kicked out of memory because you use a few apps, everything you've done to the PDF is lost.  I also experience a surprising number of crashes while marking up PDFs.  

I've contacted support, but they seem unwilling to move forward unless I do a video recording of the screen, which currently requires the Mac to be tethered to the iPad for the process.  Since it's also sporadic, this is really an unreasonable request.  Most of my PDF markups are done in meetings, and I'm not going to start carrying around my Mac laptop so that I can debug EN's software.  iOS 11 will allow screen recording without the Mac, but the sporadic nature means I'd been doing a lot of video processing.  I'd also have to catch it on a non-confidential document.

I'm hoping to see how Apple's notes works in iOS 11 and compare it to Notability and GoodNotes.  I've canceled my subscription renewal.

I'd strongly recommend you look at Notability, Good Notes, PDF Expert, or similar programs for better Apple Pencil support and PDF markup support.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Fernelius said:

These stray marks do not happen in Notability and GoodNotes.  Unfortunately, neither of these support tags at the moment.

I’m a fan of alternate editors like Notability and GoodNotes.  
This doesn’t mean I’m giving up filing in Evernote.

I file the documents as a note attachment, in either native or pdf format (or both)

Archived