New (serious) user with questions

Hi, I've had Evernote for several years and scarcely used it but just this week have vowed to become a power user. I tried to view various training videos on the Internet but so many of them seemed to focus on old versions of the software and I found it really confusing. Anyway, I signed up for a trial of Lynda.com and it's been pretty helpful, but STILL, the Evernote version I have (2.0) seems slightly different from what Lynda is showing me.

My major problem right now is I don't know where to go to enter my tags when I want to search for one of them. I'm using the regular search box in the top right-hand corner but it doesn't seem  to recognize tags (unless that same word is actually in the note), so I'm scrolling through the tag list manually to find what I want. Is that the right thing to do? (Lynda shows it differently.) It seems as though it should be more automated than that.

Also, my OCR doesn't seem to be working. I took a photo of a wine label and when I do a search on the word "Cabernet" it says "no notes were found" even though the word "Cabernet" is very clear on the label. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help/advice you can give me!

Also, there's no shortcuts button on my downloaded copy of the software, although there is on my web-based version (but it doesn't seem to work!)

What is the best way to get the most up-to-date training on the current version of evernote? Thanks! -daphne

On 4/16/2017 at 2:25 PM, Daphne G-G said:

Hi, I've had Evernote for several years and scarcely used it but just this week have vowed to become a power user. I tried to view various training videos on the Internet but so many of them seemed to focus on old versions of the software and I found it really confusing. Anyway, I signed up for a trial of Lynda.com and it's been pretty helpful, but STILL, the Evernote version I have (2.0) seems slightly different from what Lynda is showing me.

My major problem right now is I don't know where to go to enter my tags when I want to search for one of them. I'm using the regular search box in the top right-hand corner but it doesn't seem  to recognize tags (unless that same word is actually in the note), so I'm scrolling through the tag list manually to find what I want. Is that the right thing to do? (Lynda shows it differently.) It seems as though it should be more automated than that.

Also, my OCR doesn't seem to be working. I took a photo of a wine label and when I do a search on the word "Cabernet" it says "no notes were found" even though the word "Cabernet" is very clear on the label. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help/advice you can give me!

Also, there's no shortcuts button on my downloaded copy of the software, although there is on my web-based version (but it doesn't seem to work!)

What is the best way to get the most up-to-date training on the current version of evernote? Thanks! -daphne

Hi @Daphne G-G; welcome to the forums!

If you're still on Evernote version 2.0 on your Mac, you are quite a few versions behind. The current version is 6.11 and should resemble something closer to what you are seeing in the tutorials.

If you are able to, I'd recommend reinstalling the latest version of Evernote for Mac. You will need to be on a Mac running OSX 10.10 or higher to be able to do this.

Since you are on much older version, your best bet would be to make sure all of your notes and notebooks appear properly when signing into your account at evernote.com from a desktop web browser, then reinstall Evernote using the steps here:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314248-How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Evernote

Please let me know how it goes or if you have any questions!

• Level 5*
On 2017-04-16 at 0:25 PM, Daphne G-G said:

the Evernote version I have (2.0) seems slightly different from what Lynda is showing me.

As per @BSR, try to update your Mac to the latest software version.
The software is free at www.evernote.com/download or from the App Store

Any help we can give you is based on a more recent version; v2 is very outdated

Follow up on that, then post back here for other assistance

• Level 5*

Hi.  What they said - plus check out Evernote Help & Learning for lots of tips, tricks and troubleshooting.  And once you get your updated version,  start using it for something minor - books,  records,  travel plans...  anything so you use it in real life on a regular basis and start to get comfortable with what it can do.

• Level 5
On 4/16/2017 at 3:25 PM, Daphne G-G said:

My major problem right now is I don't know where to go to enter my tags when I want to search for one of them.

I use a memory technique to group my tags into categories.  Com- for company, Fam- for family, Gov- for government, Per- for personal, etc.

I wrote this post several years ago - still using this technique. I have over 1,500 tags now.

Archived