Can't unshare or delete shared notes

Hi everyone.

I was just trying out the share feature with my friend. I'm a premium, and he's a free account user. While doing so, we ran into several problems:

• I managed to share a note with him, and he was able to see it in his default notebook. However, we both did not see it in the "shared" section until closing the application and starting it up again. But that was the least of our problems. We also noticed that he was unable to delete the note, but we assumed that this was standard functionality.
  • Then I tried unsharing the same note. I went to Share / Modify sharing. Then clicked "Modify individual permissions for this note," and there pressed X next to his email address. However, that didn't do anything. The note still remained on his notebook, even after clicking the sync multiple times and waiting for several minutes. All the time the note remained in the "Shared" section for both of us.
  • I suggested he should try to delete it, and he couldn't. The delete button didn't do anything. So I tried deleting it on my end and managed to do so, but the note still remained on his end, even after restarting the application.
  • Then I told him to delete the whole Evernote database folder, and that seemed to work. This way he was finally able to get rid of that note but retain his own notes, obviously from the Evernote server.

This all makes the sharing feature completely unusable for us. Then again, I can't imagine this isn't a known bug already. Any idea if it's something that we did wrong, or is there really something broken?

Thanks

• Level 5*

Hi.  When you share and unshare notes,  it takes a little while for the two accounts to sort out the details.  You have to sync to your Server account,  which then realises that another server account needs access to a note/ notebook,  and syncs that information down to the other user.  By the time the message travels the four-way route (especially if the user then tries to delete the note or end the share) some time has passed. 

Switching everything off - or in this case completely nuking the database folder - does require the local device to get a new up-to-date picture from the server,  so you do see the correct current position.  Usually syncing or just exiting and restarting Evernote will clear any glitches.

Sharing does seem to be working normally (admittedly within a broad definition or 'normal') for the rest of the world...  just remember it's not IM!

Well, I wasn't trying to chat :) I only wanted to share the note. I don't really need the chat feature.

But I really think it should be working much faster. This felt quite unreliable and even somewhat scary, knowing that notes that you share can get so strangely locked up and potentially lost.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping that notebook sharing will work much better.

Hopefully you guys can patch this up. I'd really like to share notes and be confident that it's going to work reliably and efficiently.

• Level 5*

Hi again - does the person who's being shared to also use Evernote?  If you're just sending information,  sending a note by email,  or sending a link to the note itself gives someone access to the content.  (If you send the URL the note becomes 'public' in that anyone using that URL can see the content.  AFAIK it will not show up in search engines however,  so the only way to get the URL is for someone to give it to you...)

For more ambitious sharing of public notes,  it's possible to use a Table of Contents note to send one URL to a 'user' which can contain a list of other note or ToC URLs.  As long as all the notes have public links and you include a link back to a parent ToC note in each child note,  you can build a mini-website for your information.

Share notes

Share notebooks

How to share notes via email

Sharing a notebook works pretty well - no chatting required ;) - but remember that if you allow editing rights to the other person,  their changes have to sync back to the server and then sync on to your device before you see the changes,  so this is only 'real time' in terms of 'real slow time'.

If you want to collaborate more immediately you could put any attachments to your note into Google Drive and allow your user access to that/ those documents,  where you can work together.

How to attach Google Drive files to notes

Good luck!

Archived