Tables squeezed/narrow on iOS

I am frequently using tables in my notes. However, these days I encounter a strange issue: Tables that are showing up perfectly fine on Mac, will shown up squeezed very narrow on iOS - see screenshots. Please help!

tables-on-macOS.jpg

tables-on-iOS.jpg

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, icoco_de said:

am frequently using tables in my notes. However, these days I encounter a strange issue: Tables that are showing up perfectly fine on Mac, will shown up squeezed very narrow on iOS - see screenshots.

This bug appeared in version 8.2
I reported it here

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem. Hundreds of my notes using tables are all messed up on my iPad & iPhone. Very irritating. So difficult to read the texts in the table because all the texts are pushed to the left. 

EVERNOTE TEAM. PLEASE RESOLVE THIS ASAP. THANKS

8 hours ago, aFassas said:

Evernote has just released Evernote for IOS 8.2.1.  In the notes for this release it specifically calls out fixes for issues with tables on IOS.  Give it a try!

Still doesn't solve the problem!

20 hours ago, aFassas said:

Evernote has just released Evernote for IOS 8.2.1.  In the notes for this release it specifically calls out fixes for issues with tables on IOS.  Give it a try!

In my case not solved, too. Tables still show  as extremely small columns on iPhone.

evernote-columns.jpeg

Finding it hard to believe the source of this problem is not known to Evernote (after all they thought it was fixed with 8.2.1). Maybe they are working on more pressing bugs but it would be nice to understand the 'target' date for the fix on their roadmap - checking for new info every day is getting a bit tiresome.

Well I'd guess they aren't happy with the situation as well, as no company wants complaining clients checking out the competition (like I'm just having a look at OneNote ... some nice features too. But ... shhh ...) ;)

Anyway, hope they'll get the issue fixed very soon, as all notes with tables (which I happen to have a lot) are almost unusable like this.

Hi All, 

I just wanted to jump in and let you know our devs identified that a few edge cases were still not resolved with the 8.2.1 update. They're working to get that corrected. So in the meantime, try to stick to editing affected notes elsewhere if you need to make changes. This will be resolved in an update, so as long as you keep your app updated, as soon as the fix is released, you will have it. 

If you did make some edits on iOS and lost the formatting in the tables on other platforms, use 'Note History' to restore the prior format. 

Thanks for calling attention to this!

31 minutes ago, Ellen G said:

Hi All, 

I just wanted to jump in and let you know our devs identified that a few edge cases were still not resolved with the 8.2.1 update. They're working to get that corrected. So in the meantime, try to stick to editing affected notes elsewhere if you need to make changes. This will be resolved in an update, so as long as you keep your app updated, as soon as the fix is released, you will have it. 

If you did make some edits on iOS and lost the formatting in the tables on other platforms, use 'Note History' to restore the prior format. 

Thanks for calling attention to this!

Ellen G, thank you for jumping in and giving us (the collective of EN IOS users) an update.  Maybe, others in your company could learn a few things about how to communicate and treat users (customers) from your honest, timely, and straightforward response and helpful information.

Kudos to you Ellen G.

Grazie mille (thanks a million) Ellen - for your most coherent and helpful response. Edge cases are never easy to focus on (us software engineers do not look forward to that meeting with the product owner) but can really influence the quality perception for the product. Looking forward to the update that resolves this one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, tonycspc said:

Hi, I still have this problem.   How many of us are on the "edge"??

Supposed to be fixed in the next release, don't know when.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, icoco_de said:

Tables on iOS still squeezed. Not a good idea to use tables in Evernote. Quite limited anyway. 

As per @csihilling; I'm sure this will be fixed in a later release

I agree that it's safer to not get over complicated with notes
If you need word processing features; use a dedicated wp app
Evernote works well with iWork/Office documents as attachments; I use Apple Pages (Mac/iPad)

Columns maintaining their width attribute is not an 'advanced' feature, nor is it an edge case, and simple table functions worked just fine for a very long time. Unless Apple did something very very different in iOS there is simply no reason for something this basic to persist for so long without a solution. If it is that difficult to keep tables stable then just remove the feature (sounds like a lot of Evernote users utilize them frequently enough).

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, icoco_de said:

Seems it's fixed for new notes containing tables.

However, I have several "old" notes where tables still show up "squeezed" on iOS (not on macOS). :huh:

In theory, any note modified on the previous version had its format altered and needs to be fixed by the user.  Not clear how it could look good on MacOS and not on IOS.  Windows is a different platform for sure, but I noticed the previous issue when the note format were hosed on my PC.  Landscape mode look better on IOS?

I just started utilizing templates in a big way and then realized that when I edit a note on an iOS device it will resize every column when I go back to the desktop version? I am using Evernote's published "calendar" templates because I thought compatibility would be the highest with those. Is this is the same issue in this thread or am I doing something wrong in the setup of these templates? Thanks.

• Level 5*
On 6/2/2017 at 6:57 AM, Scott Fillmer said:

I just started utilizing templates in a big way and then realized that when I edit a note on an iOS device it will resize every column when I go back to the desktop version? I am using Evernote's published "calendar" templates because I thought compatibility would be the highest with those. Is this is the same issue in this thread or am I doing something wrong in the setup of these templates? Thanks.

Don't think you are doing anything wrong.  EN is implementing what they refer to as a standard editor.  At this point it seems to dork table formats in the desktop after an edit is made in IOS.  The platforms don't seem to be playing nice.  Seems like a bug to me.  

Since the desktop is the only place one can modify table format, one would think the table format there would be sacrosanct, recognizing you might have to make some adjustments for display on other devices.  My view of the world anyway;

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, DB72 said:

I selected Simplify Formatting on the Format menu on desktop app and seems to have fixed the tables in iOS app.

What happens on the desktop after you edit the note on IOS?

• 9 months later...

Not sure if anyone else has tried this, but it is something that has been driving me nuts, so I though I would share. Every time my tech makes a change to the schedule it screws up the formatting on my Computer. So I have been copying and pasting etc, to get it back to normal. Today I decided to see what would happen if I merged the extra cells together.

image.thumb.png.3a155b66e56a8bfada72fb057d55435a.png

Archived