Searching for Numerals and Special Characters in Title

I have a lot of duplicate notes that are designated with "file.jpg" "file(1).jpg" "file(2).jpg"

I've been sorting by size and finding them that way, and trashing the dups.  But it's taking a long time as they're listed with thousands of other notes.  

I've tried several intitle searches, but nothing's working.  Logically, I'm thinking intitle:(1) or intitle:"(1)" should bring up the "ones" so I can find the others, but it's only resulting in SOME notes with "1" in them -- definitely not all.  And none of the notes with "(1)" in the title.  

Is there a way I can tweak this search to find notes with "(1)" in the title?

• Level 5*
On 2017-04-11 at 8:43 PM, Ellsinore said:

Know that special characters are dropped for search purposes; which exludes ()

So, you're searching for:   intitle:file intitle:1

Can you add other search criteria.  The search documentation can be reviewed at  Evernote Search Grammar

Possibly check out    resource:

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, Ellsinore said:

I have a lot of duplicate notes that are designated with "file.jpg" "file(1).jpg" "file(2).jpg"

I've been sorting by size and finding them that way, and trashing the dups.  But it's taking a long time as they're listed with thousands of other notes.  

I've tried several intitle searches, but nothing's working.  Logically, I'm thinking intitle:(1) or intitle:"(1)" should bring up the "ones" so I can find the others, but it's only resulting in SOME notes with "1" in them -- definitely not all.  And none of the notes with "(1)" in the title.  

Try searching for intitle:file intitle:jpg to see if you get all versions.

• Level 5*

I realise duplicate notes exist - I have a couple thousand (long story) as we speak.  That's around 7% of my total database.  But in a normal successful search I expect to see 40-50 lines at worst,  so 2-3 duplicates at most.  I find it's far more time-efficient to delete dups and edit unnamed / badly named notes when I see them during normal ops than to spend an hour or two trying to hunt them all down...

11 hours ago, DTLow said:

Know that special characters are dropped for searc purposes; which exludes ()

So, you're searching for:   intitle:file intitle:1

Can you add other search criteria.  The search documentation can be reviewed at  Evernote Search Grammar

Possibly check out    resource:

I did go through the help articles to try to find a way to do this.  The only fact certain is the "(1)" in the title.  The rest of the title/file name is variable.  

The fact that special characters are stripped pretty much answers my question, though I don't understand why this would be necessary.  Thanks!

10 hours ago, csihilling said:

Try searching for intitle:file intitle:jpg to see if you get all versions.

The file names, with the exception of the "(1)" are different and not limited to jpgs.  There are also pdfs, odts, etc.

• Level 5*

Welcome to the wonderful world of (sounds like) Windows.  When you edit an attachment,  a copy of the attached file is dumped into the Attachments folder so that the Windows app has something in the correct format to work on and do temp saves to. 

When you close the Windows file down so the original is saved back to the note,  the copy isn't tidied up - I saw an explanation somewhere* about the final closure not being different from a temporary save,  so it wasn't safe to delete the copy each time it closed. 

So the next time you edit and Evernote creates a new copy in the Attachments folder,  there's already a file called <my attachment>.<any> so it gets opened up as <my attachment>.<any(1)> etc,  etc.

Or you edit the file called <something(1)> and save it back to the note separately, so next edit it again tries to create a temp file with the same name as the one you just...  :mellow:

...It's complicated,  OK?

* Edit: 

The reason Evernote don't clear up after the file is edited - they can't tell whether the file in the attachments folder is an interim save or the final version.  t's simply not possible...

• Level 5*

I think that's why some people have issues with edited attachments apparently changing their name - if you just save the edited file normally and don't notice any change of name,  everything works fine.  If you notice the (1) and try to save to your desktop and replace the original file,  that's possible,  but just unnecessary.

This is like tying a shoelace - if I don't think about it I'm fine;  try to explain how to do it and you (or they) wind up with both feet tied together...  ;)

Archived