Evernote for Mac 6.11 GA

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi folks,

Today we're announcing Evernote for Mac, version 6.11 GA! You can download it here.

We've posted a blog on the new Touch Bar functionality https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2017/04/11/5-cool-ways-use-touch-bar-evernote/ Please share it on social media and in other forums. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac Team

--------------

Evernote for Mac 6.11

New:
Touch Bar support for the latest MacBook Pros allows quick access to key navigation and note editing commands.

Fixed:
We've fixed several issues people were having with notes:
- Search terms weren’t highlighted in notes for some searches
- Clicking on an attachment sometimes caused the note to scroll up, making it hard to open attachments
- Shift + arrow up or down did not highlight if the line above or below was blank
- Shift + enter did not create a non-bulleted line in a bulleted list
- Couldn’t delete the leftmost column in a table if the top cell is formatted
- Line breaks were unexpectedly removed after syncing some notes originally created on iPhone
- Content copied from a PDF sometimes could not be pasted into a note
- Applying Simplify Formatting to clipped notes removed returns
- If the last item in a list was blank, it disappeared when users navigated away and then back to the note
- Couldn’t remove indents from text in some notes created in earlier versions of Evernote 
- In tables, if you triple clicked to select the content and then cut, you would be unable to focus on the cell
- If you added a new checklist item in the middle of an existing checklist, one character of a checklist item might be unexpectedly deleted

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After installing 6.11 on my MAC:       70% OF ALL NOTES can't be displayed any more.

This is horrible for my daily usage. 

I made a standard template for my notes: it must contain a combination of tables, pictures and .docx files that cause the problem.

THE NOTE IS THERE BUT CAN'T BE OPEN. Can you have a look into this or please!!!!! let me reinstall 6.0 Evernote. Otherwise I simply cannot use it anymore...

Thanks for responses & ideas!

On 4/13/2017 at 4:58 PM, Aceldama said:

Just updated and found an issue.  I raised a ticket, but wanted to see if anyone else is facing the same issue:  When I edit a note and navigate away from it, the note is going blank.  The info is still there on mobile and web, but it's blank on the Mac app.  This has happened before to me after an upgrade.  Ugh,  I don't want to use OneNote...

support ticket 2071398.png

I have a similar problem. With certain notes they show up blank like the one in your screenshot. I cannot edit them with the Mac client. They are fine in the web client. 

12 hours ago, CSProf said:

I have a similar issue to everyone else with the formatting of code and syntax in my notes. Any new code copy and pasted into notes do not have the same formatting, However what is worse is that existing notes lost their formatting.

@Johnathan Hebertwill the syntax issue be fixed in the next release? This doesn't just affect new notes but also existing ones that I did not modify since the update.

I'm interested to get more details on this one. Can you please post a before and after screenshot, or provide a detailed description of which styles are lost, and which styles are kept? Note formatting should not be altered for existing notes.

7 hours ago, David Nicolas said:

I've updated Evernote Mac 6.11 via AppStore.

I've the same issue:

And other issue: any notes are blanks into client app. Notes with html tables... mmmm we need a new 'old' version

David

Thanks for reporting this. If you could provide an ENEX file to support, I will verify that internal builds have resolved the problem.

5 hours ago, Michael_L said:

After installing 6.11 on my MAC:       70% OF ALL NOTES can't be displayed any more.

This is horrible for my daily usage. 

I made a standard template for my notes: it must contain a combination of tables, pictures and .docx files that cause the problem.

THE NOTE IS THERE BUT CAN'T BE OPEN. Can you have a look into this or please!!!!! let me reinstall 6.0 Evernote. Otherwise I simply cannot use it anymore...

Thanks for responses & ideas!

Sorry to hear this -- can you provide some of these notes to the support team and let me know the ticket number, or just let me know you made a ticket. I will verify that internal builds have fixed this problem.

1 hour ago, mfreestone said:

I have a similar problem. With certain notes they show up blank like the one in your screenshot. I cannot edit them with the Mac client. They are fine in the web client. 

I believe this problem has been fixed in internal builds -- can you provide an ENEX to support for me to verify? Thank you.

50 minutes ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

I'm interested to get more details on this one. Can you please post a before and after screenshot, or provide a detailed description of which styles are lost, and which styles are kept? Note formatting should not be altered for existing notes.

I attached two screenshots. One screenshot shows the note in its current state. The other show's what the notes formatting used to be by looking at the history of the note. In my case, color is preserved, but the line breaks are not.

The two questions I have are:

1) Will the next build fix this issue? I did open a support ticket and they did say that the development team is now aware of the issue. However, if the fix will not be available for a long period, I will need to fine an alternative solution that will preserve the formatting (Bear or Apple Notes does this)

2) With the code block that is available in the App Store version by typing in three back ticks (```) or through 

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 10.09.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 10.10.45 AM.png

39 minutes ago, CSProf said:

I attached two screenshots. One screenshot shows the note in its current state. The other show's what the notes formatting used to be by looking at the history of the note. In my case, color is preserved, but the line breaks are not.

The two questions I have are:

1) Will the next build fix this issue? I did open a support ticket and they did say that the development team is now aware of the issue. However, if the fix will not be available for a long period, I will need to fine an alternative solution that will preserve the formatting (Bear or Apple Notes does this)

2) With the code block that is available in the App Store version by typing in three back ticks (```) or through 

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 10.09.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 10.10.45 AM.png

Thank you. Can you provide the ENEX file for both the good and the bad versions of the note? You can post it here, PM me here, or open a support ticket. Once I see the ENEX files, I can understand why this happening for this note.

5 minutes ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Thank you. Can you provide the ENEX file for both the good and the bad versions of the note? You can post it here, PM me here, or open a support ticket. Once I see the ENEX files, I can understand why this happening for this note.

When I restore the previous version, that appears in the note history browser with the correct formatting, the formatting of it changes on import so that the indentation and line wrapping is like the current version. The note attachments are too big to upload here but I did upload different examples to a support ticket which is ticket #2071068.

What is more important to me though is if you could answer question #1 and question #2?

Question #2 was cut off when I posted the comment. In question #2, I was wondering if the code block feature which is available in the Mac App Store app (by entering three backticks, ```) and available via direct download (by checking to support code blocks in the preferences menu), will these code blocks be supported in the future since they are somewhat hidden? Also, will they eventually have syntax highlighting? This is the determining factor for me if I should switch to another solution. I am currently a premium subscriber and I teach Computer Science courses, where ensuring that at a minimum the format of the code I put into a note is preserved and not modified.

9 minutes ago, CSProf said:

When I restore the previous version, that appears in the note history browser with the correct formatting, the formatting of it changes on import so that the indentation and line wrapping is like the current version. The note attachments are too big to upload here but I did upload different examples to a support ticket which is ticket #2071068.

What is more important to me though is if you could answer question #1 and question #2?

Question #2 was cut off when I posted the comment. In question #2, I was wondering if the code block feature which is available in the Mac App Store app (by entering three backticks, ```) and available via direct download (by checking to support code blocks in the preferences menu), will these code blocks be supported in the future since they are somewhat hidden? Also, will they eventually have syntax highlighting? This is the determining factor for me if I should switch to another solution. I am currently a premium subscriber and I teach Computer Science courses, where ensuring that at a minimum the format of the code I put into a note is preserved and not modified.

Thank you. I have the before and after files.

1) The development team is definitely aware of the issue -- I am the manager for the development team that writes the note editor for all of the Evernote clients. We are trying to make a change that will fix this for the next patch release of Mac 6.11

2) Code blocks will probably still remove the block-level background color of this content in this build, and do not currently support syntax highlighting. It is something we would consider in the future, but not for the patch release of Mac 6.11. The fix for #1 is in the works right now.

Just now, Johnathan Hebert said:

Thank you. I have the before and after files.

1) The development team is definitely aware of the issue -- I am the manager for the development team that writes the note editor for all of the Evernote clients. We are trying to make a change that will fix this for the next patch release of Mac 6.11

2) Code blocks will probably still remove the block-level background color of this content in this build, and do not currently support syntax highlighting. It is something we would consider in the future, but not for the patch release of Mac 6.11. The fix for #1 is in the works right now.

Great thanks Johnathan. Code blocks do remove the background color, but given the choice, I would rather have the indentation be "right" than the syntax highlighting. Ideally, both would be great. Is it accurate to say then that code blocks will be supported long term so that I have a method of preserving the indentation?

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  Table Looses All Formatting when Pasted from MS Word 2011 
Evernote 6.11 GA on macOS 10.11.6

The Paste works perfectly in Ver 6.9.2.
Please fix this bug ASAP.  Restore handling of table paste from Word 2011 as it was in Ver 6.9.2.

Use Case:

• This bug has a major impact on usability of Evernote for my workflows
  • I have many templates that are designed using MS Word 2011
  • None of these templates now work.
  • All of the existing Notes that used these templates now have lost all of their formatting

Steps to Reproduce

1. Create Table in Word 2011 that uses "Automatically resize to fit contents"
  2. Select entire table
  3. Copy
  4. Create new Note in EN Mac
  5. Paste

Word 2011 file (zipped) is attached:

Asset Template Table -- Word 2011.docx.zip

When the table is pasted into EN Mac

• it changes from "resize to fit" to expand to fit Note window.
  • The row height is NOT retained
  • Cell border color is not retained

Screenshot from Word 2011 Document

2017-04-18_11-52-08.png.7fd7caefae4f2f1bce6f5e6b20754216.png

Screenshot of Same Table in EN Mac 6.9.2

2017-04-18_11-52-07.png.7d9eaa64be57168bcf11e482817905ef.png

Screenshot of Same Table in EN Mac 6.11 GA

58f645198c369_2017-04-18_11-52-07(1).png.1f5566f19e42c6a936fd33e70ac64450.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CSProf said:

This is the determining factor for me if I should switch to another solution. I am currently a premium subscriber and I teach Computer Science courses, where ensuring that at a minimum the format of the code I put into a note is preserved and not modified.

IMO, Evernote is not ready as a tool to serve as serious repository for code snippets.  For that, I suggest you consider these tools for the Mac:

I have used both, and currently favor Quiver.

1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

Please fix this bug ASAP.  Restore handling of table paste from Word 2011 as it was in Ver 6.9.2.

Use Case:

• All of the existing Notes that used these templates now have lost all of their formatting

Steps to Reproduce

2. Select entire table
  3. Copy
  5. Paste

Thanks I am looking into this one now. I can reproduce with the word file you posted

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, CSProf said:

where ensuring that at a minimum the format of the code I put into a note is preserved and not modified.

My method to ensure my content is not modified is to store it as a text file attachment.

The editor I use (Textastic) has syntax highlighting for code

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Thanks I am looking into this one now. I can reproduce with the word file you posted

Many thanks Johnathan.  I am really loving your fast and appropriate responses in this forum.  You are providing a great example of great customer service.  I hope others will follow your approach.

6 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

IMO, Evernote is not ready as a tool to serve as serious repository for code snippets.  For that, I suggest you consider these tools for the Mac:

I have used both, and currently favor Quiver.

I have looked at quiver previously, but for what I use Evernote primarily for is to manage lecture notes I use in courses, and it is handy to have code snippets in the same note. This is why I have been considering switching to Bear with the ability to include code blocks. However, I would like to stick with Evernote if at all possible. I like the features and for the most part the interface. But if sticking around means running into these issues more often, then to me it is not worth 60+ a year as a premium user. Along with the recent Mac update, the major iOS update was concerning and did not seem be QAed.

On 2017. 4. 14. at 오전 7시 58분, Aceldama said:

Just updated and found an issue.  I raised a ticket, but wanted to see if anyone else is facing the same issue:  When I edit a note and navigate away from it, the note is going blank.  The info is still there on mobile and web, but it's blank on the Mac app.  This has happened before to me after an upgrade.  Ugh,  I don't want to use OneNote...

support ticket 2071398.png

Same issue here.

For fix this situation, I try to import note from note history, but it shows the same reaction.

I can see the preview, but there is no content.

스크린샷 2017-04-19 22.14.34.png

On 18/4/2017 at 15:38, Johnathan Hebert dijo:

Thanks for reporting this. If you could provide an ENEX file to support, I will verify that internal builds have resolved the problem.

Sorry Johnatahn, I attach 2 enex files.

Both are copy&paste from gmail, an resume email from amazon. HTML Tables. One of them, the tables are 'broken' and the other one don't display the note in Ev Mac client :(

BlankNote_AmazonCopy.enex

TablesBookAmazonCopy.enex

40 minutes ago, David Nicolas said:

Sorry Johnatahn, I attach 2 enex files.

Both are copy&paste from gmail, an resume email from amazon. HTML Tables. One of them, the tables are 'broken' and the other one don't display the note in Ev Mac client :(

BlankNote_AmazonCopy.enex

TablesBookAmazonCopy.enex

They both render in internal builds and seem to look okay. I will message you the screenshots

23 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Use Case:

Steps to Reproduce

2. Select entire table
  3. Copy
  5. Paste

I have a change in internal builds to maintain the column widths/paddings/borders in this case. We are still working to preserve the background color as well for 6.11.1. We had changes to remove some styles during paste in order to help notes look consistent when lots of varied stuff gets pasted. It is what is causing some users' code snippets to have background colors, fonts, sizes adjusted and/or removed during paste. Much of the paste behavior is intentional, but for 6.11.1 we are going to restore the previous behavior. We are planning to have more advanced paste options in upcoming releases.

Just installed version 6.11 for Mac. Now the line spacing (leading) in my encrypted notes has changed. Instead of single spaced, the lines now look double spaced. The line spacing in non-encrypted notes seems to be unchanged.

Any ideas?

hace 3 horas, Johnathan Hebert dijo:

They both render in internal builds and seem to look okay. I will message you the screenshots

Hi again. Dear Johnathan.

I attach my screenshots from my Mac (OS X 10.12.3) and Evernote Mac client 6.11. The first: is blank (pic1.png). The second: the tables are collapsed and border 1px (pic2.png).

Thanks for your support.

pic1.png

pic2.png

After upgrading to Evernote 6.11, every time I copy a line of text from a note, it adds a newline automatically.  This makes it impossible for me to paste commands into the terminal amongst other things. This is a regression.

32 minutes ago, extest said:

After upgrading to Evernote 6.11, every time I copy a line of text from a note, it adds a newline automatically.  This makes it impossible for me to paste commands into the terminal amongst other things. This is a regression.

Thanks for reporting this. I have fixed it on internal builds of the editor, and it will be in the 6.11.1 release

1 hour ago, PhilipTobias said:

Just installed version 6.11 for Mac. Now the line spacing (leading) in my encrypted notes has changed. Instead of single spaced, the lines now look double spaced. The line spacing in non-encrypted notes seems to be unchanged.

Any ideas?

I have an idea of what might be causing it, but if you could provide an export file of an affected note, I will take a look. You can post the ENEX file here or message it to me privately, or open a support ticket and I will work with the customer support rep to investigate.

21 minutes ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

I have an idea of what might be causing it, but if you could provide an export file of an affected note, I will take a look. You can post the ENEX file here or message it to me privately, or open a support ticket and I will work with the customer support rep to investigate.

I just submitted Ticket# 2076879 with a sample file, Johnathan. I will watch for replies on that ticket.

Thanks for the prompt response.   ...pt

Workaround to 6.11 formatting bug: Looks like the online version works fine. Copy/paste to the web version works like 6.10. Still doesn't display entirely correctly in the Mac client, but it'll do for a workaround for me till 6.11.1

2 hours ago, Sprague said:

Workaround to 6.11 formatting bug: Looks like the online version works fine. Copy/paste to the web version works like 6.10. Still doesn't display entirely correctly in the Mac client, but it'll do for a workaround for me till 6.11.1

Thanks Sprague for this recommendation. I have to say, after the iOS 8.0 release and these latest changes, I'm really concerned about the future of this platform. At one time, it seemed that Evernote worked seamlessly, but the past few months it has been a constant fight with the application and services. It is unfortunate because the application became a critical part of my day-to-day work.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Sprague said:

Workaround to 6.11 formatting bug: Looks like the online version works fine. Copy/paste to the web version works like 6.10.

Doesn't work for me when pasting a MS Word table into a EN Web Note.  Table formatting is NOT preserved.

Screenshot of EN Web Note:

2017-04-19_18-18-04.png.971b3bb33e91f72562e951bfffb880f6.png

20 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

I have a change in internal builds to maintain the column widths/paddings/borders in this case. We are still working to preserve the background color as well for 6.11.1. We had changes to remove some styles during paste in order to help notes look consistent when lots of varied stuff gets pasted. It is what is causing some users' code snippets to have background colors, fonts, sizes adjusted and/or removed during paste. Much of the paste behavior is intentional, but for 6.11.1 we are going to restore the previous behavior. We are planning to have more advanced paste options in upcoming releases.

This is now fixed in internal builds. Externally pasted content should keep its formatting. The change will be included with 6.11.1

These table styles are now pasting correctly on internal builds, and the change will roll out with 6.11.1

Any other 

14 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Doesn't work for me when pasting a MS Word table into a EN Web Note.  Table formatting is NOT preserved.

Screenshot of EN Web Note:

2017-04-19_18-18-04.png.971b3bb33e91f72562e951bfffb880f6.png

These table styles are now pasting correctly on internal builds, and the change will roll out with 6.11.1

Any other real-world examples from MS Office you could provide would help us make it more robust.

33 minutes ago, Christian Blank said:

Unfortunately, after the update I encountered changes in the design of tables I've used in my notes. When I try to fix this, Evernote crashes. Very annoying...

Thanks for posting. I believe most of the table issues will be fixed in the upcoming 6.11.1 release. Could you describe what happens to the tables in a bit more detail or post some screenshots?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Any other real-world examples from MS Office you could provide would help us make it more robust.

Johnathan, thank you very much for asking.

Here's a great example that offers more challenges:

2017-04-20_12-13-47.png.7f2ec51ecea6182997286237c6cad391.png

Word File Attached:
Word 2011 Table in a Table.docx.zip

This table provides the following features that work in EN Mac 6.9.2

1. This entire table was designed in Word 2011 and when copied into EN Mac retains every property
  2. Table width auto-sizes as I type, or delete, text in a cell, but does NOT expand to full width of Note window
  3. Uses a table in a table
  4. Had different border width on the sub-table than on the parent table
  5. Uses a very fine, black line as a border for most cells
  6. The cell shading color is retained as it is in Word
  7. Provides a nice, thin white border between the parent table cell and the sub-table in it.
  • Level 5*

Table Feature Request for the Future

Johnathan, I'm not asking for this for 6.11.1, and this has nothing to do with copy from Word, but two table features that used to be in EN Mac long ago that would be very useful to have are:

1. Allow use of horizontal line (rule) in a table cell
  2. Allow insertion of a table in the cell of another table

To be clear, these features are NOT in 6.9.2 and I would not want you to even try to add them for 6.11.1.  But at some point in the future it would be great to have them.

Thanks again for your fantastic support and response.

13 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Johnathan, I'm not asking for this for 6.11.1, and this has nothing to do with copy from Word, but two table features that used to be in EN Mac long ago that would be very useful to have are:

1. Allow use of horizontal line (rule) in a table cell
  2. Allow insertion of a table in the cell of another table

To be clear, these features are NOT in 6.9.2 and I would not want you to even try to add them for 6.11.1.  But at some point in the future it would be great to have them.

Thanks again for your fantastic support and response.

I understand, I think the horizontal rule is no problem. Nested tables are a bit trickier, and we are actually discussing this pretty heavily internally right now. I would be curious about what problem nested tables are solving for you, and why you think it is valuable.

1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

Johnathan, thank you very much for asking.

Here's a great example that offers more challenges:

2017-04-20_12-13-47.png.7f2ec51ecea6182997286237c6cad391.png

Word File Attached:
Word 2011 Table in a Table.docx.zip

This table provides the following features that work in EN Mac 6.9.2

1. This entire table was designed in Word 2011 and when copied into EN Mac retains every property
  2. Table width auto-sizes as I type, or delete, text in a cell, but does NOT expand to full width of Note window
  3. Uses a table in a table
  4. Had different border width on the sub-table than on the parent table
  5. Uses a very fine, black line as a border for most cells
  6. The cell shading color is retained as it is in Word
  7. Provides a nice, thin white border between the parent table cell and the sub-table in it.

Thanks. This helped -- it looks like this in internal builds now :

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 1.25.25 PM.png

7 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Hi Johnathan
Those are table features i wish they will be implemented in EN in the near future:

1. Select an entire column - and then format this column in some way (e.g. right align, italics, ...)
    (today i have to format each individual cell in this column)
  2. And with lower priority: Copy / Move rows or columns to other positions in the table 

Thank for your excellent support - EN seems to get a lot of positive momentum right now :)

The update is great overall. :)

However, it lost the ability to add and check off multiple check boxes using option-return. It previous versions, selecting multiple bullet points and then hitting option-return would add check boxes, remove check boxes, or check off check boxes, as appropriate. :(

Without this feature, it is much less practical to reuse a note with lots of check boxes such as a note with a check box for each item to be packed up when traveling. In that case, a traveler needs to manually uncheck each box before the next trip. :wacko:

On 7/19/2017 at 1:47 PM, BridgetL said:

I've used the app since 2013 and have never had issues but recently it has been locking up when I highlight text, especially on the MacBook but also on iPhone 7.  I uninstalled Evernote on the Mac and reinstalled it (v6.11.1).  I've rebooted my computer and iPhone.  The issue is still there.  The iPhone has the latest update v8.2.2.  I use the app frequently for shopping lists and various notes, but need to resolve the lock up issue as it is too frustrating and requires a force quit on the laptop at times.  Suggestions?

Have you gone to https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us, and scrolled to the bottom of the page, and clicked "Start a chat or submit a ticket?" — the forums here are mainly community members.

On 7/19/2017 at 1:47 PM, BridgetL said:

I've used the app since 2013 and have never had issues but recently it has been locking up when I highlight text, especially on the MacBook but also on iPhone 7.  I uninstalled Evernote on the Mac and reinstalled it (v6.11.1).  I've rebooted my computer and iPhone.  The issue is still there.  The iPhone has the latest update v8.2.2.  I use the app frequently for shopping lists and various notes, but need to resolve the lock up issue as it is too frustrating and requires a force quit on the laptop at times.  Suggestions?

Have you gone to https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us, and scrolled to the bottom of the page, and clicked "Start a chat or submit a ticket?" — the forums here are mainly community members.

• Level 5*

Hey guys, Evernote has released Ver 6.11.1 GA, which is supposed to fix many/most of these issues!

If you were having issues, please upgrade and report on your issue in the new thread:

From what I have seen so far, it has fixed most of my issues.

• Level 5*
On 2017-05-15 at 10:04 AM, celia80302 said:

Is anyone else having problems changing the name of PDF files in version 6.11? The dropdown menu opens, I type the new file name, and it doesn't change?

I am able to rename PDFs.  591b56cd22a68_ScreenShot2017-05-16at12_44_25PM.png.802d6b86e3c24acc2d0537f20472d5ff.png

Standard troubleshooting is to reboot your Mac

On 5/8/2017 at 0:34 PM, jamiesmithnc said:

Evernote - Do you have any info on the release date for the version that reinstates support for formatted pasting?

Or a documented way to download a previous version?

The 6.11.1 beta releases, which has already been published, should be much improved in this area. If you try and still see a problem with some notes, please let me know. If you can provide sample ENEX files or steps to reproduce the problem, I will look into it for you.

On 4/30/2017 at 2:04 AM, Dean Seo said:

I have to say that I agree 100% with @LoliMizuki

So I have A LOT of formatted text copied from web, which basically consist of programming source code.

After updating to 6.11GA, they're all broken, completely. Now all the programming-relative notes have become trash, all of sudden!

It's horrible. It's terrible. Oh my god! Seriously?

The version naming clearly states that it's 6.11 from 6.10, NOT something like 7.0 from 6.10, meaning that it's so-called a minor update.

Do you guys even care how version naming rule should apply?

Or nobody just cares when deploying the package, naively hoping that the deploy script or whatever that is will name the version correctly?

If there's some HUGE change to rendering the notes, then it's a clean signal to name the major version, not the minor one.

Why do you guys even change the way it renders notes? You guys surely know that for applications like EN, compatibility is REALLY important!
You can easily prevent this from creating some test cases.

Well, you could've easily spot these bugs if there'd been one single person in EN team who actually uses Evernote in your daily life!

This is frustrating, because this is not the first time.

Will the time ever come to us when updating Evernote will not be such a regret?
Do you guys even use your product for your own personal purpose as we'd see in the advertisement? Because all the EN update history with terrible feedbacks in the community kind of tells that you guys might not.

I had to roll back to the old version 6.10, which still left a few notes that I've already Accidentally synced with the broken, messed-up formatted text when I was on 6.11GA.
So I looked back into the note history, each note's history, trying to recover the notes that the newest EN destroyed, ending up discovering some buggy behaviour which is drag & drop-ing the restored note from the history to the notebook does not work properly if there's already a note with the same title. Jesus. Okay one more time. This time I should just copy and paste the restored note to the original note. Okay finally it works. VERY GOOD JOB, Evernote.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay I'm sorry for my harsh words and anybody who are offended by them. 
Although all my notes are now recovered on 6.10 but losing all my notes like that freaked me out for a bit, which made me go crazy.

We have fixed several issues which were causing this -- the 6.11.1 beta builds should render these notes correctly. If you see any problem notes on the 6.11.1 betas, please let me know directly on any thread, and I will look into it for you.

On 4/26/2017 at 4:08 PM, CrispyCris said:

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem as @Will Foreman reported in his thread (that's also how I came to know there were more people sharing the same problem).

So, I thought of sharing my ticket number and updating you all regarding its fix.

Ticket: #2083786

This should be fixed in the next beta of 6.11.1

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jamiesmithnc said:

But you didn't point to official old versions, and google didn't help.

To obtain the version software, I'd use the release notes posted in this forum
For example

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I described my method for installing a previous version in this post

But you didn't point to official old versions, and google didn't help.  What I really want is to know when this will get fixed.  

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, jamiesmithnc said:

Or a documented way to download a previous version?

I described my method for installing a previous version in this post

Just now, DTLow said:

My process is to completely delete Evernote from my Mac; app, database ...   The app AppCleaner is recommended for this

I reinstall the app and the database is rebuilt from the servers.  Warning: the rebuild doesn't include Local Notebooks or  unsynced notes

You left out the "make sure you have a copy of the older version, as it isn't guaranteed to be on Evernote's site" B)

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, another Dave said:

How do you revert to a previous version? 

My process is to completely delete Evernote from my Mac; app, database ...   The app AppCleaner is recommended for this

I reinstall the app and the database is rebuilt from the servers.  Warning: the rebuild doesn't include Local Notebooks or  unsynced notes

Hi all.  In recent EN versions, double-clicking a photo in a note would open that image in the default viewer (like Preview).  Unfortunately in 6.11 it seems this wonderful feature no longer works.  Now I have to "right-click -> Open With... -> Preview" to accomplish this, as double-clicking does nothing.

Is there a way to restore the previous functionality?  Apologies if this was brought up earlier in the thread.

Thanks,
Will

HTML format is gone

After update to 6.11 (454876), copy from web and paste to Evernote would lost some format.

I have to say that I agree 100% with @LoliMizuki

So I have A LOT of formatted text copied from web, which basically consist of programming source code.

After updating to 6.11GA, they're all broken, completely. Now all the programming-relative notes have become trash, all of sudden!

It's horrible. It's terrible. Oh my god! Seriously?

The version naming clearly states that it's 6.11 from 6.10, NOT something like 7.0 from 6.10, meaning that it's so-called a minor update.

Do you guys even care how version naming rule should apply?

Or nobody just cares when deploying the package, naively hoping that the deploy script or whatever that is will name the version correctly?

If there's some HUGE change to rendering the notes, then it's a clean signal to name the major version, not the minor one.

Why do you guys even change the way it renders notes? You guys surely know that for applications like EN, compatibility is REALLY important!
You can easily prevent this from creating some test cases.

Well, you could've easily spot these bugs if there'd been one single person in EN team who actually uses Evernote in your daily life!

This is frustrating, because this is not the first time.

Will the time ever come to us when updating Evernote will not be such a regret?
Do you guys even use your product for your own personal purpose as we'd see in the advertisement? Because all the EN update history with terrible feedbacks in the community kind of tells that you guys might not.

I had to roll back to the old version 6.10, which still left a few notes that I've already Accidentally synced with the broken, messed-up formatted text when I was on 6.11GA.
So I looked back into the note history, each note's history, trying to recover the notes that the newest EN destroyed, ending up discovering some buggy behaviour which is drag & drop-ing the restored note from the history to the notebook does not work properly if there's already a note with the same title. Jesus. Okay one more time. This time I should just copy and paste the restored note to the original note. Okay finally it works. VERY GOOD JOB, Evernote.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay I'm sorry for my harsh words and anybody who are offended by them. 
Although all my notes are now recovered on 6.10 but losing all my notes like that freaked me out for a bit, which made me go crazy.

4 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Bug Report:  Double-click on Image Does NOT Open Image in Default App

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem as @Will Foreman reported in his thread (that's also how I came to know there were more people sharing the same problem).

So, I thought of sharing my ticket number and updating you all regarding its fix.

Ticket: #2083786

• Level 5*

Bug Report:  Double-click on Image Does NOT Open Image in Default App

On 4/25/2017 at 11:26 AM, Will Foreman said:

I'm using the Mac Evernote desktop client (Sierra 10.12.4, EN version 6.11).  As recently as a week or so ago, double-clicking a photo in a note would open that image in the default viewer, in my case the Preview app.  Unfortunately this wonderful feature no longer works.

10 hours ago, ResMz said:

Running on OSX, I can not paste any code syntax (From Android Studio) into evernote anymore with this version. It shows up as a normal text! not with syntax.

any one have this issues? or evernote drop syntax feature?

Other users have mentioned this -- we have fixed this internally and it should be working in 6.11.1. Please let us know if you still see the issue in the next release

On 4/23/2017 at 10:44 PM, gock said:

Hi,

I'm the author of Marxico, an Markdown editor for Evernote.Marxico saves Markdown source in Evernote by appending non-visible element <center style='display:none'> after the rendered HTML content. However the newest version of Evernote breaks this, the non-visible element will be showed. I guess it strips the inline style? Please take a look. I have so many users complaining about this bug.

Bests,

gock

test.enex

Thanks for letting us know. This will be fixed in the 2nd beta for Mac 6.11.1

17 minutes ago, bambooparadox said:

Hi Johnathan
Those are table features i wish they will be implemented in EN in the near future:

1. Select an entire column - and then format this column in some way (e.g. right align, italics, ...)
    (today i have to format each individual cell in this column)
  2. And with lower priority: Copy / Move rows or columns to other positions in the table 

Thank for your excellent support - EN seems to get a lot of positive momentum right now :)

Thanks for bringing this up -- stay tuned ;)

• Level 5*

Thanks. This helped -- it looks like this in internal builds now :

Wow!  You guys are really on a roll!  I've never seen Evernote move so fast.  Please give my most sincere thanks to your entire Dev team!

Your example looks great!

Awesome-Thumbs-up.gif.93d74a5e97c67876edb77d9345f69c63.gif

• Level 5*

Nested tables are a bit trickier, and we are actually discussing this pretty heavily internally right now. I would be curious about what problem nested tables are solving for you, and why you think it is valuable.

Nested tables are very useful when you have complex data with Parent-child relationships, and you need to show multiple properties of the child.  The last Word 2011 example is one simple use case, but here's a more compelling use case:

2017-04-20_17-44-45.png.53a2f52ca4e6976bbc0ef049c76ef0f6.png

This is a real-world use case where I am tracking various metals and stocks.  The template comes from Word 2011 (but this is a screenshot from EN Mac 6.9.2), and I'll be happy as long as you at least support that (as you have shown you do in your most recent internal build).  Being able to put a table inside of the cell for a specific equity allows me to quickly see at a glance what's going on.  I  have all the data I need at my "fingertips".

Just so you know, I create the table using Word 2011, then paste into an EN Note "template" that I then use many times via the "Copy Note" command.

Please let me know if you need more discussion and/or examples.

Bug: Copy/Paste entire line (with linebreak)

If i copy Line 1 (including the linebreak) and paste it between Line 2 and Line 3 ...

Line 1
Line 2
Line 3

That's the result i get:

Line 1
Line 2
Line 1Line3

I would expect that the linebreak will be inserted as well.

• Level 5*
On 4/15/2017 at 2:20 PM, Johnathan Hebert said:

I manage the team the writes the rich text editor for all platforms,

Johnathan, since you also manage the EN iOS editor, I wanted to make sure you are aware of some significant issues with tables in EN iOS 8.2:

1 hour ago, csihilling said:

@Chantal Leonard

Just wondering if you guys are addressing the issue with table formatting introduced with version 8.  Now a table cannot be edited on an IOS device without totaling hosing the format.  To the point you can't even fix it by dragging column widths back on the PC since min-width: 70px has been added to the formatting.  You have to go to ENML and fix it there.  A major PITA on all fronts.  A table you want to modify on the go is kind of useless now.  Viewable only on IOS devices.

Also wondering, out of interest, why it was decided to change the format on IOS when tables can't be added or row/column adjusted there.  Don't get it.  Anyhow, would appreciate a remedy to this.  Thanks.

EDIT:

Also the 10px padding juts eats up way too much screen space.  I guess I kind of like to format tables the way I want to see them and would just as soon not have that be changed.  Don't understand why it has to be either.

EDIT:

Support ticket number 2078708, includes an example.

Please make sure that the EN iOS will properly display the tables that are created in EN Mac 6.11.1.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Johnathan, since you also manage the EN iOS editor, I wanted to make sure you are aware of some significant issues with tables in EN iOS 8.2:

Please make sure that the EN iOS will properly display the tables that are created in EN Mac 6.11.1.

Thanks.

Thanks, I'll respond on the original post

On 4/20/2017 at 5:16 PM, Johnathan Hebert said:

Thanks for posting. I believe most of the table issues will be fixed in the upcoming 6.11.1 release. Could you describe what happens to the tables in a bit more detail or post some screenshots?

Johnathan, thank you for your reply. Please find attached a screenshot of the table-issue. The issue consists of extra columns, which can't be deleted or changed. I'm glad to hear that the issue will (probably) be fixed by the next release. 

Screenshot.tiff

4 minutes ago, Christian Blank said:

Johnathan, thank you for your reply. Please find attached a screenshot of the table-issue. The issue consists of extra columns, which can't be deleted or changed. I'm glad to hear that the issue will (probably) be fixed by the next release. 

Screenshot.tiff

As long as you do not edit the note in its ugly form, it will look fine in 6.11.1. However, if you do edit/save the note while it is looking bad, it will save the bad looking note to the database, and you will have to use the note history feature to recover an earlier version of the note.

17 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Nested tables are very useful when you have complex data with Parent-child relationships, and you need to show multiple properties of the child.  The last Word 2011 example is one simple use case, but here's a more compelling use case:

2017-04-20_17-44-45.png.53a2f52ca4e6976bbc0ef049c76ef0f6.png

This is a real-world use case where I am tracking various metals and stocks.  The template comes from Word 2011 (but this is a screenshot from EN Mac 6.9.2), and I'll be happy as long as you at least support that (as you have shown you do in your most recent internal build).  Being able to put a table inside of the cell for a specific equity allows me to quickly see at a glance what's going on.  I  have all the data I need at my "fingertips".

Just so you know, I create the table using Word 2011, then paste into an EN Note "template" that I then use many times via the "Copy Note" command.

Please let me know if you need more discussion and/or examples.

Thank you, this is helpful. If you could re-create this table (both the structure and style) in a future version of Evernote that allowed you to merge cells -- instead of nesting tables -- would that meet your needs? Why or why not?

Something I've noticed with this OSX version is that when opening multiple tabs and then closing them out and leaving one I lose the fwd/bck ability < >. Mousing on those buttons does nothing. Also, when e-mailing in notes of plain text from ios (standard mail app) some of those e-mailed in notes when opened in OSX can't be copied unless they are merged or formatting is simplified. This is baffling, because it's just plain text and only some notes. 

That said, Evernote is finally getting to the point where I can edit and use it on multiple devices without many frustrations! Thanks

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, bounce said:

Also, are there keyboard shortcuts to move between tabs? I didn't see that on the faq.

Below are the default shortcuts; took me a while to figure out thats the Tab key
Since we're using Macs, we can redefine the shortcuts to other values

58fa8be0248e8_ScreenShot2017-04-21at3_45_32PM.png.19054ef5e8868ba1282c51cf5eb9b7d5.png

Running on OSX, I can not paste any code syntax (From Android Studio) into evernote anymore with this version. It shows up as a normal text! not with syntax.

any one have this issues? or evernote drop syntax feature?

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

You might check your preferences to see if you've enabled sync for shortcuts58fe61a677890_ScreenShot2017-04-24at1_34_38PM.png.248cb656b3ce0fb625acb8d36f9228af.png

I already checked it. And if I didn't check it, the new version wouldn't be changed.

Another request to please fix the icons. The icons for formatting and actions you need to take are completely illegible and you must simply guess what they all are. This is critical to the use of the product.

evernote-broken.png

On 4/13/2017 at 1:36 AM, Fors said:

My notes with table formatting (everything from mails) are broken. 

I'm usually the kind of person who love to have up-to-date software, but when it comes to Evernote I'm more than often extremely dissatisfied with updates and I almost always check if I can roll back an update. 

I've been a paying member for four years now, but I'm seriously searching for an alternative solution...

Skærmbillede 2017-04-13 kl. 09.33.20.png

I am having the same problem. The file I attached is part of a Southwest Airlines conformation page that displayed correctly in the old version of Evernote.

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 14.41.50.png

• Level 5*
On 2017-04-16 at 6:58 PM, prjna said:

Well, surprisingly, the shortcuts of notes are synced based on old data

You might check your preferences to see if you've enabled sync for shortcuts58fe61a677890_ScreenShot2017-04-24at1_34_38PM.png.248cb656b3ce0fb625acb8d36f9228af.png

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, extest said:

Could a strikethrough button be added to the text formatting toolbar for notes as well as the touch bar on Mac? 

This discussion is feedback on the v6.11 release

It would be better to start a new request discussion, or add your vote to an existing discussion, like

• Level 5*
On 4/21/2017 at 11:40 AM, Johnathan Hebert said:

Thank you, this is helpful. If you could re-create this table (both the structure and style) in a future version of Evernote that allowed you to merge cells -- instead of nesting tables -- would that meet your needs? Why or why not?

Thanks for asking.

I guess if I can achieve the same structure, style, and use, then I don't really care how it is done, as long as it is just as  easy (for me) to do as nesting tables.  And, of course, it has to display the same on all devices.  I don't have to create or edit it in EN iOS, but I definitely need it to view properly there.  One other point is that it has to copy/paste well into other apps like MS Word 2011.

However, I don't see how merging cells could achieve the same result. I have done a lot of work in MS Word with tables, including merging cells, so I am very familiar with that technique/process.

I have also done a lot of work over the years with HTML tables.  Nesting tables with HTML is very simple, so I am somewhat confused why it would be a challenge with Evernote, which uses a superset of HTML, correct?

While it would be great to nest tables directly within EN Mac, my primary concern remains being able to copy a table from MS Word 2011 and paste into EN Mac, and have it retain all of the style and properties (view the same) as it had in Word.

I hope you can release EN Mac 6.11.1 soon with just the fixes for tables (and other fixes), and then focus on the improvements later.  EN Mac 6.9.2 is working well for me, but does have a number of bugs that you have fixed.  

Thanks again for your great support here, and in really getting things done with the Dev team.

Could a strikethrough button be added to the text formatting toolbar for notes as well as the touch bar on Mac?  I use this pretty extensively and it takes a while to access by right-clicking then going to format, then strikethrough. The iOS app has a button for it which is super useful.

Archived