How to scan in 300dpi?

jeango

Hi,

my accountant started working with a new platform that uses OCR and all kinds of fancy stuff to read the scanned bills I send to them. The workflow is really cool, I can directly send the scans by mail from my evernote client, and tata it's done. But it requires the scans to be in 300 dpi or else the OCR doesn't work well. I was hoping to find some configuration in scannable that would allow me to set the scan resolution. Maybe it's possible and I'm just missing something in the big picture, maybe it's not and then I'll have to use another app, which is really sad because I love Elephants and Butterflies

• Level 5*

Hi.  You'd have to talk to support for any possible assistance there,  but I think a bit of googling may tell you that DPI measurements are applicable to desktop scanners,  while Scannable and the Evernote camera work in a different way.  The clue's in the name 'camera' - with all due respect to Evernote's fine software,  your phone is taking a quick snap from your shaky hand into a plastic lens on a device with very little native storage capacity.  There would have to be some compromises in quality.

If you have an android device you could set the camera quality (resolution) to the highest level and take a test snap of a document,  and if that meets your accountant's exacting requirements,  try one quaility setting lower,  and so on until you find the lowest acceptable level - otherwise the picture file size will be huge.

If you're on iOS,  the quality is normally pretty good.  Have you given the accountant a document to try?

For a definitive answer I'd suggest you contact support directly if you're a paying subscriber at https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new (premium subscribers can chat from the same link) - or message them on Twitter via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

Hi,

from what I have heard  Genius Scan could be worth considering.

On my Android device I have 3 different free scanners, all with alignment correction, crop, etc., with share function to Evernote and all 3 give excellent results.

Phone/pad are usually provided with regular updates. Somehow I doubt if Evernote can keep up with the  other apps on the market. 

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

Hi,

from what I have heard  Genius Scan could be worth considering.

On my Android device I have 3 different free scanners, all with alignment correction, crop, etc., with share function to Evernote and all 3 give excellent results.

Phone/pad are usually provided with regular updates. Somehow I doubt if Evernote can keep up with the  other apps on the market. 

Hi John - would you mind naming the apps you have?  I used to use CamScanner which (IMHO) did a great job until I got too lazy and just used Evernote all the time.  It also had a save to Evernote option and I think (it was a while ago) it included its own OCR too...

Archived