custom keyboard shortcuts: feature request

grahampcharles

Idea

I would love the ability to create custom keyboard shortcuts -- not only for the existing commands, but as a shortcut for "assign a (specific) tag" and "move to a (specific) notebook."

For example, Ctrl+Alt+F would move the selected note to my "Filed" notebook  -- that kind of thing.

On a related note, who decided that the shortcut for assign tag (Ctrl+Alt+T) would have different modifiers from assign notebook (Shift+Alt+M). These activities are part of the same workflow -- the modifiers should be the same. (Imagine if Copy and Paste were Ctrl+C and Shift+Alt+V -- it's cognitively jarring.)

g.

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, grahampcharles said:

I would love the ability to create custom keyboard shortcuts -- not only for the existing commands, but as a shortcut for "assign a (specific) tag" and "move to a (specific) notebook."

For example, Ctrl+Alt+F would move the selected note to my "Filed" notebook  -- that kind of thing.

On a related note, who decided that the shortcut for assign tag (Ctrl+Alt+T) would have different modifiers from assign notebook (Shift+Alt+M). These activities are part of the same workflow -- the modifiers should be the same. (Imagine if Copy and Paste were Ctrl+C and Shift+Alt+V -- it's cognitively jarring.)

g.

Pending EN doing anything about this you can create some of your own shortcuts using a text expander tool like PhraseExpress or Auto Hot Key.

Voted up.

I would love to have the option to clear, modify, add reminders with shortcuts. When I process my overdue reminders or the reminders for the day, I can do everything with the keyboard, from tagging to moving to a different notebook, however, the one thing I cannot do is to mess with the reminders.

Unfortunately, there aren't any key assignments or accessing it with the menus, so I cannot even create a text expander for it. 

So hopefully, some kind of customization will be released soon. At a minimum, give me the option to modify the reminders.

Happy Friday!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, TK0047 said:

Unfortunately, there aren't any key assignments or accessing it with the menus, so I cannot even create a text expander for it. 

I created Alt 1, 2, and 3 hotkeys for Add/Close, Change, and Clear reminders using PhraseExpress.  The key was to use the mouse features of PE.  Obviously the limit is that the EN window needs to be in the same place and open when the hotkey is executed.  Not an issue for me since EN is always open on the right monitor of a two monitor set up. 

I use a utility named MousePos to get the coordinates.  PE also has a mouse recorder option, but I found that to be slower than my brute force method.  Doesn't take that long to create in reality.  FYI, this is the phrase to create/delete a reminder.  For create it stops with the calendar displayed.  Change the coordinates to a specific monitor set up and voila.  FWIW.

{#mouseposition -x 3286 -y 106}{#LEFTMOUSEBUTTON}{#mouseposition -x 3271 -y 170}{#LEFTMOUSEBUTTON}

9 minutes ago, CalS said:

I created Alt 1, 2, and 3 hotkeys for Add/Close, Change, and Clear reminders using PhraseExpress.  The key was to use the mouse features of PE.  Obviously the limit is that the EN window needs to be in the same place and open when the hotkey is executed.  Not an issue for me since EN is always open on the right monitor of a two monitor set up. 

I use a utility named MousePos to get the coordinates.  PE also has a mouse recorder option, but I found that to be slower than my brute force method.  Doesn't take that long to create in reality.  FYI, this is the phrase to create/delete a reminder.  For create it stops with the calendar displayed.  Change the coordinates to a specific monitor set up and voila.  FWIW.

{#mouseposition -x 3286 -y 106}{#LEFTMOUSEBUTTON}{#mouseposition -x 3271 -y 170}{#LEFTMOUSEBUTTON}

Oh this is cool. I use Breevy for my text expander but it does not do any of the fancy mouse button stuff. I had not heard of PhaseExpress so I shall check it out.

Thanks for the recommendation/solution.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, TK0047 said:

Oh this is cool. I use Breevy for my text expander but it does not do any of the fancy mouse button stuff. I had not heard of PhaseExpress so I shall check it out.

Thanks for the recommendation/solution.

Another option, as @CalS mentioned, is AutoHotkey. Here's how you could use AHK to create shortcuts to add, change and clear Reminders: 

For sure though, EN providing native shortcuts to Reminders is optimal. Failing that, providing keyboard access to Reminders is sufficient - it would allow users to use keystrokes instead of the mouse, and also allow those so inclined to create more robust hotkeys using PE or AHK that don't rely on locating an icon on a screen (or on one of multiple screens).

On 3/3/2018 at 11:34 AM, tavor said:

Another option, as @CalS mentioned, is AutoHotkey. Here's how you could use AHK to create shortcuts to add, change and clear Reminders: 

For sure though, EN providing native shortcuts to Reminders is optimal. Failing that, providing keyboard access to Reminders is sufficient - it would allow users to use keystrokes instead of the mouse, and also allow those so inclined to create more robust hotkeys using PE or AHK that don't rely on locating an icon on a screen (or on one of multiple screens).

It looks like you already provided the scripts so this might be a quick way to go.

Is Autohotkey free? It looks like it is. Do you know whether it will conflict with my text expander Breevy?

• Level 5*
On 3/5/2018 at 8:25 AM, TK0047 said:

Is Autohotkey free? It looks like it is. Do you know whether it will conflict with my text expander Breevy?

AHK is free. It shouldn't conflict with your text expander so long as you aren't assigning the same hotkeys to both.

But I'd try to use one hotkey app just to limit the overhead (I assume you'd have the app running in the background whenever your computer is on). If Breevy can do what @CalS is doing with PhraseExpress, then maybe stick with that. Otherwise, consider moving your text expansions into AHK.

Archived