best way to share chosen notes

StefanL38

HI,

I'm very new to using Evernote and I have some questions:

I want to use Evernote for a house-building-project. I am the customer for four companies that are involved in building my house.

A lot of details must be discussed and I have to decide how these details have to be realised. Most of the details of one company (f.e. the carpenter) influence the work of the other companies. So all companies that are involved have to stay up to date about decisions and have to stay updated about plans. 

Now the readable communication shall be done via Evernote in the following way:

I'm the adminsitrator of everything and I'm allowed to edit all notes.

The companies shall have the possability to add things to notes on their own but shall not be allowed to delete anything.

Is this possible?

If it is not possible could a workaround be to have several notes with different permissions? only-read, only-add etc. ?

Would releasing notes (publish to a certain group of evernote-users) be a good way to share the informations?

Do you happen to know some internetressources that explain how I could realise what I have described above?

Which chapters of a big general help would you recommend reading?

best regards  

Stefan 

• Level 5*

Hi.  What you're requesting - particularly the edit but don't delete and the variable permissions thing - is not directly possible in Evernote if everyone is to have access to the notes.  What I'd suggest is that you set up 6 notebooks.  One for general access by all contractors,  with edit access (but don't add the 'and invite others' option) and one for each contractor individually.  So you have a general and a private channel with each one.

(If they're going to edit notes they will need to have the basic (free) version of Evernote,  and know how to use it,  so you may have some mentoring to do there.)

At least once each day make sure you back up your database to Enex files - one file per notebook.  Keep your backup files for the length of the project.

You could also have another notebook shared to all contractors on a 'read only' basis if there's information you want to ensure isn't deleted.

If you suspect some or all the content of a note has gone missing you have two options.  If you have a premium account,  you'll have note history to see all the versions of one note back to it's first entry.  If the note is deleted,  the history will be gone,  but the note content will to to the Trash notebook;  so you can retrieve it from there if necessary.  Worst case if the note is deleted from both its original and the Trash notebooks,  you'll have your daily backups to.. fall back on.

For further briefing see:

Share notebooks (you can also share notes...)

How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks

How to access and use note history

How to recover missing notes

- and you can always come back here for advice and suggestions.

There are various other project management tools out there,  but I don't know whether they would accomplish all you need - maybe someone else with wider experience can comment on that.

Good luck with the project.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, StefanL38 said:

Would releasing notes (publish to a certain group of evernote-users) be a good way to share the informations?

Evernote has a sharing feature for notebooks
You can make the notes available to other users

I've used it for various projects I've worked on

The companies shall have the possability to add things to notes on their own but shall not be allowed to delete anything.

Is this possible?

The sharing options in Evernote are view or edit.
You can't prevent deleting and it's always a concern both for content and entire notes

Evernote has a Note History feature, and you should make sure you have the notes backed up and restorable

As @gazumped said, deleted/moved notes end up in my Trash 

58e3ba63db9e7_ScreenShot2017-04-04at8_21_44AM.png.cd27ef0b0d94ab16b8cf1b66ee77a007.pngI can monitor this and take corrective action. 

Do you happen to know some internetressources that explain how I could realise what I have described above?

Which chapters of a big general help would you recommend reading?

There are some resources as per @gazumped
The best method would be to open a second account and try it out before going live

Archived