Features needed in the Evernote web

stingaci

Idea

Hello all, 

I've started using Evernote last week as I've been trying to standardize and centralize my note taking efforts. When I initially started working with Evernote, I only launched the webapp version which I started enjoying right away. I love the clean design and how responsive it is. I started using it quite heavily and the more I use it the more I am frustrated with the lack of certain "obvious" features that should be available. The most annoying of which are:

• No shortcuts available - Here I am not referring to shortcuts that apply to creating a new note, or toggle to a different notebook, etc; I'm referring to text input shortcuts such as a shortcuts for bullet points, for indentation especially, etc. My note taking efficiency significantly suffers if I constantly have to take my fingers off the keyboard so I can make an indentation or create a bullet point 
  • No Image Resize capability - This one just seems like it's a no brainer. The typical workflow for my note taking is sitting in a meeting and capturing notes and at the end I'll take a pic of a whiteboard or something along those lines. I use the evernote phone app to upload the pics to the respective note, and on my webapp version, these images are huge with no possibility of resizing. So now I have to open Evernote Desktop app to resize these pictures which is pretty ridiculous to me 
  • Other simple UI fixes; for example in the webapp, when you highlight a bunch of words and click to "insert a link", the box drops down with two fields: the link text and the link itself, however for some reason the cursor doesn't automatically go in the link box and in fact it just disappears which requires me to have an extra click. This is not the end of world, but it would be such a simple fix. When I'm taking notes, 90% of the time I'm documenting a meeting and an extra click slows me down quite significantly 

So why don't I use the desktop app directly you ask? Because from a UI design perspective the webapp is much more attractive. The design is much cleaner, note previews look much better and I'm finding much better response times with the webapp. Not only that, literally everything I work with nowadays runs in a browser (email, gdocs, music, etc) so I'd prefer to continue using my browser for note-taking as well. Also, when switching between the webapp and the desktop app, I constantly notice discrepancies between notes. For example, I'll find areas of text that are bolded in my desktop app but not in webapp.

Implementing these features (or bug-fixes) seem like low hanging fruit and going through quite a few posts on this community forum, it seems like they would truly bring value to your users as they've definitely been in-demand (some even for a couple of years). Hell, even make these features part of your "Premium" offering and I'll purchase it right away. The lack of these features is not holding me back from using your otherwise awesome platform, however there's always going to be an asterisk when recommending it to a friend. 

1 reply to this idea

Yours are frustrations voiced many times on this forum, in particular the question of not being able to resize images (and not being able to resize tables). All so basic, isn't it?

If the rumours are correct, you might do well not to get too used to this Web version (a "beta" of the Web version no. 2). Number 3 is possibly in the pipeline for this year and who knows if users of number 2 will see it disappear.

We have no idea whether a no 3 will contain any of the features so often requested here. 

In general, we have no idea.

Archived