Instant sync behaviour changed

Several days ago I updated Evernote from version 6.4.2 to 6.5.4. Since then, my notes are not instantly syncing anymore. I tried rebooting, and then reinstalling, but to no avail. It does seem to work for shared notes, though. Is this the expected behaviour?

The box was checked. I tried unchecking it and clicking OK to save the configuration, then quit Evernote and opened it again, and the result was the same: shared notes sync instantly, the rest of notes don't. I repeated the same steps, checking the box this time, and it does the same thing.

• Level 5*

Odd.  Could be a bug,  though I haven't noticed any delays on either of my laptops with one set to 'on demand' sync and one not.  It makes sense that shared notes should have priority when syncing - you might want to be passing on important information - but pausing the others is odd.

The next steps,  I think are:

• 2 weeks later...

Rebooting and reinstalling didn't work, so I contacted Support. It turns out that the Windows app has changed the way it is syncing in anticipation for a new sync routine that will be in the next release. Until then, the notes will only sync when it's time for the automatic sync or when the Sync button is clicked. Support told me that there will be more details when that version releases, so I'll wait and see - although instant sync is not indispensable for me, I found it really convenient, so now I'm curious about what they are going to change. Thanks for the help!

• Level 5*

Thank you for the intel.  They've been talking about 'on demand' sync in the latest release - you can opt to leave some of your notes (only) on the server unless and until you want to see them.  A bit like the mobile device setup,  your computer - if you opt in to this feature - will download a search index,  but not the actual notes.  I have a 17GB database (I just have big bones notes) on one laptop,  which dropped to less than 1MB for a first install on another laptop with this enabled.  My only worry is how to keep a local backup of all my notes.  My data is precious (imagine a Gollum voice ;)).

As you use the app though,  more and more notes are downloaded,  so (in theory) you could wind up with the full database downloaded again - except as a further enhancement (not necessarily in the next update) they're also talking about syncing older notes back up to the server and effectively deleting them from local storage.  Makes their use of space on a user's devices much more efficient.

I await development with interest ...

I have installed that latest version. I cannot get Evernote to sync to my Windows desktop. New notes are in Evernote Web and they are synced to my Android. I have uninstalled Evernote and re-installed, shut off the computer and restarted but nothing seems to work. HELP! The sync button always ends with a red exclamation point overlaid.

• Level 5*

Hi.  The red exclamation mark means -obviously- there was a problem syncing.  If you click the Help button in Evernote you should be able to find your Activity Log which may help,  but sometimes it's easier to hold Ctrl and click on the red "!" and get a quick explanation.  Could be a connection problem,  or a corrupted note...

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5
On 4/13/2017 at 5:59 AM, WalkerSister said:

Rebooting and reinstalling didn't work, so I contacted Support. It turns out that the Windows app has changed the way it is syncing in anticipation for a new sync routine that will be in the next release. Until then, the notes will only sync when it's time for the automatic sync or when the Sync button is clicked. Support told me that there will be more details when that version releases, so I'll wait and see - although instant sync is not indispensable for me, I found it really convenient, so now I'm curious about what they are going to change. Thanks for the help!

Sorry to reactivate a slightly dated thread, but I'm still on v. 6.5.4 (due to all the formatting headaches in the more recent releases), and therefore checking "Instant sync" in the options still has no effect (I don't have any shared notes). I like to be able to make a change and then move on to something else, letting the program do the syncing (instantly) without my intervention. I've now set the sync interval at 5 minutes, the lowest setting possible, and for non-urgent notes that will be instant enough. For more significant edits, though, I'll need to sync manually. I don't have any of the specific situations that would require the sync on demand setting.

So, after all that preamble, can anyone tell me whether in the recent updates to the Windows program instant sync or something similar has come back? Or point me to some information on this?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

So, after all that preamble, can anyone tell me whether in the recent updates to the Windows program instant sync or something similar has come back? Or point me to some information on this?

I'm using the current beta and instant sync works other than for notes where only tags are changed.  However, if you modify another note, the tag changed notes seem to get swept with the instant sync of that note.  Maybe it is written somewhere that tag changes don't trigger instant sync, I don't remember.  Still, instant sync works for me other than tag only changes.  F9 for that.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks, Cal. Something to look forward to when they get the formatting stuff figured out well enough that I want to update.

You are welcome.  I've been using the function for over a year (at least last August where I have a note with screen clips of settings).  I think instant sync was introduced in the early 6 versions, 0 or 1 or 2, can't remember.  Does it not exist on 6.5.4, or not working for you?

• Level 5
1 minute ago, CalS said:

You are welcome.  I've been using the function for over a year (at least last August where I have a note with screen clips of settings).  I think instant sync was introduced in the early 6 versions, 0 or 1 or 2, can't remember.  Does it not exist on 6.5.4, or not working for you?

See my post a couple of posts back with the quote from @WalkerSister

It had been working, as you say, but in 6.5.4, it was disabled to make way for (presumably) whatever it's doing now.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

It had been working, as you say, but in 6.5.4, it was disabled to make way for (presumably) whatever it's doing now.

Sorry, didn't catch that.  Weird, does that imply that it works on 6.5.3 and 6.6.1?  I don't remember it not working when I was on 6.5.4???  Rhetorical questions, no biggie, just hmmmm....

Archived