Evernote for Mac 6.11 Beta 4 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi folks,

Today we're announcing Evernote for Mac, version 6.11 Beta 4! You can download it here.

This Beta addresses a few small issues with our last Beta including: The New Note button wasn't correctly localized, bullets and spacing in lists were sometimes disappearing, tables were sometimes incorrectly sized, and a couple of intermittent crashes.

No new additional features so the release notes are staying the same. This is our Release Candidate so let us know if you spot any issues. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac Team

--------------

Evernote for Mac 6.11

New:
Touch Bar support for the latest MacBook Pros allows quick access to key navigation and note editing commands.

Screenshot of the Touch Bar - providing access to back/forwards, quick search, view options, filter options and New Note when navigating notes

Capture1.thumb.PNG.00edbe5fc024007e45ac0466e02a16d0.PNG

Fixed:
We've fixed several issues people were having with notes:
- Search terms weren’t highlighted in notes for some searches
- Clicking on an attachment sometimes caused the note to scroll up, making it hard to open attachments
- Shift + arrow up or down did not highlight if the line above or below was blank
- Shift + enter did not create a non-bulleted line in a bulleted list
- Couldn’t delete the leftmost column in a table if the top cell is formatted
- Line breaks were unexpectedly removed after syncing some notes originally created on iPhone
- Content copied from a PDF sometimes could not be pasted into a note
- Applying Simplify Formatting to clipped notes removed returns
- If the last item in a list was blank, it disappeared when users navigated away and then back to the note
- Couldn’t remove indents from text in some notes created in earlier versions of Evernote 
- In tables, if you triple clicked to select the content and then cut, you would be unable to focus on the cell
- If you added a new checklist item in the middle of an existing checklist, one character of a checklist item might be unexpectedly deleted

40 replies to this idea

On 2017/04/05 at 10:30 PM, Jason Miller said:

If I hit option (alt) when I right click, it says copy classic note link (do you see?)

Which gives me evernote:///view/....

@Jason Miller The classic note link is such a useful option. Why isn't there a keyboard shortcut for it?

I almost always want to use classic link (evernote://...) instead of the http link.

18 hours ago, EdH said:

This happened to me 2-3 times this morning as well.

I haven't run into this problem my self - 1st are you on 6.11 beta 4, or 6.5.x like you mentioned in the note and do you have any steps to reproduce the issue?

On 31/03/2017 at 3:16 AM, Johnathan Hebert said:

@DTLow The tables should also be displayed at the correct width (as long as they were not edited and saved at the "skinny" width before), and the resize functionality should behave correctly. Can you confirm?

Tables seemed to be working correctly, but the problem has reared its ugly head again.

screenshot.png

Just now, Jason Miller said:

Is this a table with in a table?

The original email is a standard Amazon.com receipt. Evernote now clips all HTML emails as tables within tables.

I've just noticed that emails that previously looked okay, have now been squished, as with this Apple receipt from a week ago:

screenshot.png

Was the old-style note link wiped out in this release? Used to be that pressing ALT while looking at the Note Menu would provide an alternate (old school) evernote:// link. Now it seems to be limited to the http:// links. 

Barry

7 minutes ago, barrymcbride said:

Was the old-style note link wiped out in this release? Used to be that pressing ALT while looking at the Note Menu would provide an alternate (old school) evernote:// link. Now it seems to be limited to the http:// links. 

Barry

If I hit option (alt) when I right click, it says copy classic note link (do you see?)

Which gives me evernote:///view/....

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, gods1023 said:

I'm using 6.5.4.4720 version.

When I type my article in main space, 

suddenly, the cursor moved to title line by itself.

When I think that I'm typing in main space, but, I was typing in title line.

So many times it happened. 

Please, fix it.

This happened to me 2-3 times this morning as well.

9 hours ago, lonewolf said:

@Jason Miller The classic note link is such a useful option. Why isn't there a keyboard shortcut for it?

I almost always want to use classic link (evernote://...) instead of the http link.

I wrote an AppleScript that gets the Note Link of the currently selected note in Evernote, converts it to the Classic schema, and copies it to the clipboard. I use it with Keyboard Maestro, but it should work with any launcher, like Alfred, FastScripts, or even the built-in Scripts menu. The regular expression is kludgy, so I thought it would break often, but I've been using it since EN switched to the HTTP format for note links as default, with no issues.

tell application "Evernote"
	set _sel to selection
	if _sel  {} then
		set theNote to first item of _sel
		set theURL to (note link of theNote)
	end if
end tell
set ENcode to "echo \"" & theURL & "\" | sed -E 's#https?://www.evernote.com/shard/(..)/(..)?/([0-9]*)/(.*-.*-.*-.*-.*)/?.*#evernote:///view/\\3/s2/\\4\\4#' | tr '\\n' ' ' | tr -d '[[:space:]]' | pbcopy"
do shell script ENcode

Bug -

• Create a bulleted list
  • Paste a URL in (it turns blue for me)
  • "Shift+Enter" for a new non-bulleted item
  • Type text

The first letter on the non-bulleted line will be part of the above link. I've attached a screenshot of it

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 9.23.31 AM.png

1 minute ago, upnix said:

Bug -

• Create a bulleted list
  • Paste a URL in (it turns blue for me)
  • "Shift+Enter" for a new non-bulleted item
  • Type text

The first letter on the non-bulleted line will be part of the above link. I've attached a screenshot of it

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 9.23.31 AM.png

Thanks for reporting this.

On 2017. 4. 1. at 오전 0시 39분, upnix said:

Small bug -

If you open a note in its own window, then change the name of the note, the window (the OS window) won't reflect the new name until the window is reopened.

I find this is a problem mostly when I create a new note with Cmd+n. I have a window called "Untitled" regardless of what I name the note.

Otherwise it's looking good so far!

Edit - Using links to browse through notes in a window will also not cause the window title to change. Can be confusing.

I have the same problem with this.

I hope it will be fixed.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, PeteHarris said:

Is there (or can there be) a static page for the latest Beta download? Where do we look to see what the very latest Beta is?

You download the latest available beta from your installed version of Evernote as long as you have elected to receive betas in your preferences/options. Just check for updates. If there are none, you have the latest.

• Level 5*

I have to say, tabs are not great. I have a 2015 Macbook, so not the fastest processor around to be sure, but I've been using EN on it for 2 years with nary a stutter. Until I opened 10 notes in tabs - needed to bounce back and forth.

There was so much stuttering and pausing i just closed all of the tabs and moved around the different notes the old way. I haven't seen this much stuttering in Evernote since I used it on Windows when I had my entire 8GB database locally stored.

Anyone else seeing this with the new Tabs?

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, trenchantly said:

or sometimes very long wait for them to appear.

I've opened ticket 1895717 on this issue.  I'm thinking it's a Mac platform issue and not related to this specific release

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Today we're announcing Evernote for Mac, version 6.11 Beta 4!

Also Fixed:

• Paste and Match Style (command-shift-v)
  • Applescript
  • Level 5*
Just now, Johnathan Hebert said:

@DTLow The tables should also be displayed at the correct width (as long as they were not edited and saved at the "skinny" width before), and the resize functionality should behave correctly. Can you confirm?

Confirmed - the table issues have been fixed with this version

These two regressions are still there:

• The problem of "Applying Simplify Formatting to clipped notes removed returns" hasn't been fully fixed. 
  • System-wide Show Fonts shortcut missing.

More details in my earlier report here. The 2nd issue (missing cmd-T) is particularly puzzling: is that something really difficult to fix?

Right after I edit an image by "Annotate this Image...", I can't change notebook by clicking the left top notebook name.

For change notebook, I should click show information, title or contents and re-try.

스크린샷 2017-03-31 13.34.53.png

When I add a tag, if it starts English or number, Evernote recommend similar tags that start with that character or word.

But if I want to add a tag by the Korean language, recommendation function doesn't work well.

2017-03-31 14_04_18.gif

Small bug -

If you open a note in its own window, then change the name of the note, the window (the OS window) won't reflect the new name until the window is reopened.

I find this is a problem mostly when I create a new note with Cmd+n. I have a window called "Untitled" regardless of what I name the note.

Otherwise it's looking good so far!

Edit - Using links to browse through notes in a window will also not cause the window title to change. Can be confusing.

13 hours ago, mwang said:

These two regressions are still there:

• The problem of "Applying Simplify Formatting to clipped notes removed returns" hasn't been fully fixed. 
  • System-wide Show Fonts shortcut missing.

More details in my earlier report here. The 2nd issue (missing cmd-T) is particularly puzzling: is that something really difficult to fix?

Hi

I am investigating the problem with clipped notes from the guardian and simplify formatting removing returns - currently I don't have a problem (but I might be doing it differently)

I am clipping the note (using Chrome) and simplified article mode in clipper and when I apply Simplify formatting on the mac,  returns are kept (either applied to a section of whole page) - so which step am I doing wrong or missing? 

7 hours ago, trenchantly said:

Major problem remains: notes not showing in main window - or sometimes very long wait for them to appear. Cannot edit PDFs - still rubs up against Mac OS issue.

Does this happen for all notes for certain types of notes?  (and if only certain ones, are can you export one for our test to test (if safe to sure) or maybe provide steps to help create a similar note ourselves for testing? 

9 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

Hi

I am investigating the problem with clipped notes from the guardian and simplify formatting removing returns - currently I don't have a problem (but I might be doing it differently)

I am clipping the note (using Chrome) and simplified article mode in clipper and when I apply Simplify formatting on the mac,  returns are kept (either applied to a section of whole page) - so which step am I doing wrong or missing? 

Thanks for looking into this. I'm also using Chrome, but let's first make sure we're talking about the same thing: by "removing returns" I mean blank lines separating paragraphs are removed by Evernote betas (starting from 6.10 betas).

Please see the attached screenshots below. The first two are from the same Guardian story (United Airlines defends gate decision ...), with the first one processed in Evernote 6.11B4 and the other processed by 6.92. (steps: one single click into the article, then shft-cmd-F to simplify formatting.)

For comparison, a second set of screenshots are provided, clipped from the New York Times (Congress Moves to Overturn ...), again processed in 6.11B4 & 6.92 respectively. As you can see, they are identical.

A side note: I don't insist on keeping/adding a blank line between two paragraphs, if Evernote allows changing paragraph spacing (as in Word or Kindle).

Thanks!

bad.png

good.png

nyt611.png

nyt692.png

I'm happy, for the fix of tables spacings... Although the issue is resolved on my Mac, when the note is displayed in the online web page, when shared with my clients, the display is truncated to the right margin

Capture d’écran 2017-04-03 à 18.06.44.png

23 minutes ago, vincentscar said:

I'm happy, for the fix of tables spacings... Although the issue is resolved on my Mac, when the note is displayed in the online web page, when shared with my clients, the display is truncated to the right margin

Capture d’écran 2017-04-03 à 18.06.44.png

Hi

Do you mean when you share it is truncated when viewed on other Mac clients, or shared and viewed on the web? (just checking so we can test the same scenario in QA.

TIA

J

I use to share the weblink to my customers. If they don't own Evernote, they can see my notes in a web browser. When creating a note within EN, on the Mac, there is no limit to the right border, so you can freely write to the right without borders. When you visualise the note in Safari or Chrome (Mac and PC) there are borders or artificial margins, and as you can see on my screen capture, words are cut and part of the text is missing on the right.

The problem doesn't come from the Mac version of EN it self, but for the way it's read on the web browser. I don't understand the use of this kind of margins, in the web browser, and they dont adjust dynamicaly when we  resize the browser window. (It's ugly and makes it look really "from the past"). 
An other problem is the lack of respect of fonts between the ones choosed in the EN Mac, and the result on a web browser... But it's an other problem...
So finally, without a vertical alignent tool (as we could find in a publishing software), there is no way to know, in the Mac EN, when we reach the right limit for the web browser to show, without cutting the table and the text. And this maybe, could be implemented in the Mac EN....

Kind regards from Switzerland. And please, excuse my poor English.. 

4 minutes ago, vincentscar said:

I use to share the weblink to my customers. If they don't own Evernote, they can see my notes in a web browser. When creating a note within EN, on the Mac, there is no limit to the right border, so you can freely write to the right without borders. When you visualise the note in Safari or Chrome (Mac and PC) there are borders or artificial margins, and as you can see on my screen capture, words are cut and part of the text is missing on the right.

The problem doesn't come from the Mac version of EN it self, but for the way it's read on the web browser. I don't understand the use of this kind of margins, in the web browser, and they dont adjust dynamicaly when we  resize the browser window. (It's ugly and makes it look really "from the past"). 
An other problem is the lack of respect of fonts between the ones choosed in the EN Mac, and the result on a web browser... But it's an other problem...
So finally, without a vertical alignent tool (as we could find in a publishing software), there is no way to know, in the Mac EN, when we reach the right limit for the web browser to show, without cutting the table and the text. And this maybe, could be implemented in the Mac EN....

Kind regards from Switzerland. And please, excuse my poor English.. 

Thanks for mentioning this -- can you post a screenshot? UPDATE: Nevermind, I see your screenshot above.

I'm using 6.5.4.4720 version.

When I type my article in main space, 

suddenly, the cursor moved to title line by itself.

When I think that I'm typing in main space, but, I was typing in title line.

So many times it happened. 

Please, fix it.

Archived