Hi everyone,

I'm struggling a bit with the Evernote OCR search on Windows 10. I scan a lot of notes from University into the system and wish to use the search to find key points etc. My main issue is I can't cycle through the returned results from a search. As you can imagine (or have been there yourself) a subject about finance is going to have the word formula mentioned quite repeatedly on multiple pages. But for some reason, if I search for formula it just gives me every note with that in it, and I'm unable to cycle through the results to find what I'm after. The worst part is control+F search in note doesn't search handwriting, only typed text. Does anyone know of a workaround for this or if I'm just searching incorrectly? At the moment to search my notes, im forced to email them to myself in Gmail and wait for Google to OCR it then search my inbox, not the best way, especially with all my other notes already in Evernote. 

Thanks for any advice

• Level 5*

Hi.  Are scanning your notes into PDF documents,  directly into Evernote and allowing the app to do the OCR?  If so,  you may want to change your process slightly.

I scan to a folder on my hard drive and periodically OCR the content using Adobe.  I can edit the files if necessary - add a meaningful title - maybe delete pages I don't need - then move the content to an Import Folder to put it into Evernote.  So for me,  searches aren't (usually) a matter of going through the text word by word,  but identifying the results I'll need from the titles,  then maybe tagging notes and re-doing the search for that (or those) tag(s).

That gives me a list I can turn into a Table of Contents reference list,  and with that open in a separate window I can browse individual notes and edit/ re-tag/ retitle as seems necessary,  as well as copying content.

PDF's being a partially closed book (pun intended and I'm sorry..) you often need to use the built-in search feature in each document to find details - it is possible to save documents as individual JPG pages,  which gives you a less useful OCR (long story) but you will get search terms highlighted more frequently and on each page.

Hope that gves you some ideas at least - I'n sure you;ll get more comment from others here...

• Level 5*
On 3/29/2017 at 6:53 PM, Jimmy90 said:

My main issue is I can't cycle through the returned results from a search.

What do you mean by can't cycle through the returned results?  In any view you can go from note to note in a search result.